SAV sale

Help Support CattleToday:

gizmom":1b7zl6m5 said:
Looks like they had a great sale. Bulls averaged over 18,000 a head with 475 selling. I wonder how many are going to go into AI studs out of this sale.

gizmom

6-8 were purchased by Alta, Genex, or Accelerated. If you count the 2 that Herbster bought there were 10 that are headed right to stud. Not sure about the other semen companies as I wasn't sitting where i could see their guys.

gizmom said:
Looks like they had a great sale. Bulls averaged over 18,000 a head with 475 selling. I wonder how many are going to go into AI studs out of this sale.

Pretty Amazing operation. SAV and Champion Hill partnership are in high demand at every sale I attend. Bidding starts at $5000 plus
and goes up. Had some industry guys tell me once not to bid on a certain young SAV cow at a local dispersal sale here in Ky (and that I would need to hide her in a back pasture so my bull customers couldn't see her!!) she wound up going for $27,000 and is a donor/embro factory for $800-$1500 each now. I guess you either love their genetics or not.

We have used SAV bulls and for the most part liked what we got. I have flushed several times to Final Answer and like him a bunch, I have a nice group of SAV Pioneer 7301 calves and they show a lot of power as well and I really like the disposition on both the Final Answer and the Pioneer. We used SAV Traveler 004 and he also worked for us. Actually the only SAV bull that we used that we didn't like was SAV Density and he just didn't throw enough through the lower quarter for us. One of my favorite heifer calves this year is a Resource 1441 but then again she is out of my 525 cow that is a pathfinder and no matter how you breed that old rip it looks good. We have some other Resource calves on the ground that look good but they are not the ones ringing my bell when I walk through the calves. You know what I mean you always have calves that grab your eye the Resource X 525 does some of the other just don't at least not at this point. The ones grabbing my eye at this point are some ET calves out of 3R9 and N Bar Clova Pride the bull calves out of that mating already look like little studs.

gizmom

HughesFamilyCattle":nb2bz2mo said:
gizmom":nb2bz2mo said:

Pretty Amazing operation. SAV and Champion Hill partnership are in high demand at every sale I attend. Bidding starts at $5000 plus
and goes up. Had some industry guys tell me once not to bid on a certain young SAV cow at a local dispersal sale here in Ky (and that I would need to hide her in a back pasture so my bull customers couldn't see her!!) she wound up going for $27,000 and is a donor/embro factory for $800-$1500 each now. I guess you either love their genetics or not.

We've been using their bulls for 3 years now. So far they have done everything we wanted and more. Thought we would end up adding some frame but that hasn't been the case in the females but we have definitely added a ton of growth to the calves. Our calves this year weaned off easily 50 pounds heavier out of the same cows that we were using Ohlde bred bulls on previously. The gain in the backgrounding lot has also paid huge dividend the past couple of years.

They aren't perfect cattle, none are but so far they haven't done us much wrong. There are some genetics out there that I wouldn't mind comparing them to, some of the type of cattle that Denny uses intrigue me quite a bit in fact. However to this point we haven't had a reason to seek out anything else as the problems that we were trying to fix are getting fixed without giving up our strengths. Maybe I'll change by tune in 5-10 years but for now they work.

gizmom":3fb5w003 said:

gizmom
That is ridiculous..no room for us 1500.00 dollar limiters... :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":1ss7udnm said:
gizmom":1ss7udnm said:

gizmom
That is ridiculous..no room for us 1500.00 dollar limiters... :cowboy:

Buy em at 3 months and grow them out.

:cboy:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Roc...01-B988-72E88A8D584C_zpsvlaigqpb.mp4.html?o=0
459008FA-A43F-449E-AE0C-9BFF17E4319B_zpsgjwxz5ou.jpg

71FCD667-0CC5-4877-8B9E-66623AF044E5_zpslz4y1yno.jpg

2DA2DFA8-E6C8-4FFD-8272-2566CC1C2F96_zpsawljcbv5.jpg

2D8F8FDA-DC11-4022-92DC-EF989E64ADD7_zpsi4oxoopw.jpg

951CCC2D-E71E-4C5C-B74A-EDB637AC0B01_zpsvbwijqqg.jpg

CD931D4B-9D96-47DD-9B2F-320AE84C7FA6_zpslexunjut.jpg

Lot 195
AC606C04-BE70-4865-B1EC-CF491F6C4376_zpskjkubuff.jpg

3224149E-C054-41FC-BC47-A9B2B094237B_zpsvk9nruu0.jpg

0C2E820B-DC1A-4AC7-B729-9763EB5F2046_zps6auou5zx.jpg

BAF285AB-B01D-43B4-AD7F-44514F5C633F_zps1qpe3i7n.jpg

AllForage":15nm9gqq said:
Jake did they appear fat and over fed?

For the most part no. Some of the easier fleshing bulls appear fat especially some of the Rito bred cattle. For the most part they are in better condition than a lot of bulls at a lot sales as they aren't lard fat. I think they have a pretty good idea on where the line is with their bulls on how hard they can push them. I have asked multiple times and the ration consists of corn silage(probably 100 bushel corn), ground hay, distillers, and a mineral pack. The bulls are creep fed for 60 days preweaning and the heifers are not.

edit:
I have walked through some of their cows and bred heifers and watched them feed a couple of times and am amazed at how fat they are for what they are fed. No clue what the TDN is on barley hay and their prairie hay but it has to be high. Cows are loose but I haven't ever seen a silage wagon in front of them. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I haven't seen it and would think as many folks as they have through there it would be damn hard to constantly be trying to hide a feeding program.

Thanks for sharing the photos, they sure have some impressive looking animals. Ronnie and I are discussing making a trip to see the operation in late July or August when they have their AI bulls there for natural service. Nothing like seeing them out working.

Gizmom

angus9259":2wm3btl3 said:
I can't believe we have more snow than they do.

Started snowing while we were there. Under all that straw was one huge sheet of ice. If you happened to dig through it you'd fall on your butt. Was pretty sloppy when it was 40 on Friday