SAV Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake

Reaction score
We are headed up for the sale this next weekend. Not sure if I'll find what I like or not but decided I'd better make the trip while I am still able before job, wife, and kids start slowing me down. Anybody else planning on attending?

It's fun to go to an extravaganza once in awhile. I remember the first time I saw old Pat Goggins auctioneer and the Leachman sales were like a trip to the circus. All were tutorials on marketing-I'm sure you'll have fun. You can have fun in Vegas just walking around enjoying the sights or you can roll the dice and spend some money.

That's what I figured NR I have to start the real world in May do I just as well have fun now. Besides there are bound to be some cowgirls there I haven't gotten to chase before.

gizmom":2woq3ctd said:
I would love some pictures and a report on the Pioneer calves. I like the look and pedigree of the bull just not sure about his size or the size of his calves.

Gizmom

I would like some pictures of the girls you chase. :nod: Have a great time.

kenny thomas":3llva4ip said:
I would like some pictures of the girls you chase. :nod: Have a great time.

Another request for cowgirl pics. You taking Eagle Eye with you?

Locally, the SAV bulls I've seen sold are fast, to put it mildly.

Eagle eye has to stay home he is a little under aged for some the activites in which we plan to partake.

K state sold some final answer sons last year I thought looked really good. Not huged framed but were deep and thick. We have some issues I would like to correct and hopefully a twelve hour drive will find a cure. Gizmom I will try to take some pictures of the cattle as well as the women, try to satisfy everybody.

gizmom":2nhlyir2 said:
I would love some pictures and a report on the Pioneer calves. I like the look and pedigree of the bull just not sure about his size or the size of his calves.

Gizmom

Pioneer is one I am watching closely as well.

Anyone have a link to pioneer? I like the looks of the Iron Mountain bull, but don't know to much about him other than looking at him on the genex site.

I'm typing this from my phone so I can't put the pictures up but the sale was quite impressive. Top to bottom one if not the best set of bulls I have ever seen. The bulls averaged $10,475. The top seller brought $283,000 and was worth every penny.

The pioneer cattle were very impressive and I am planning on purchasing some semen.

Jake":3b2delcn said:
Top to bottom one if not the best set of bulls I have ever seen. The bulls averaged $10,475. The top seller brought $283,000 and was worth every penny.

He may be the greatest that has ever lived (I kind of doubt it though); but if you clear $10 a straw that is still 28,300 straws of semen you have to market just to be back at even (and I don't think any of the big four AI companies clear $10 a straw after all expenses).

I stole this off another site--but what a difference a few years make !!!

GUESS WHO MADE THIS STATEMENT:

the whole reason for the existence of registered, purebred cattle is to produce seed stock bulls for the commercial industry.

When there is a strong market potential and high dollars within a breed, the chasing of the latest fad and race to breed cattle with the highest figures takes over,"

--the cattle that perform and reproduce without high input costs and that pay the bills when marketed across the scale. Unfortunately there are no measurements for many of these vital components. Consequently, these basics of animal breeding are being ignored by many in the quest to chase fads and figures."

Some of the seed stock being sold for top prices are sending the wrong message to the industry about what is most valuable to the commercial cattleman.

"When a registered breeder has a $100,000 cow that can't raise a bull good enough to sell to a commercial producer, there's something wrong with this picture," This is leading many breeders to wonder where the breed is headed.

The seed stock producer must never lose sight of what needs to be supplied to the commercial cattle breeder.
HYPE SELLS CATTLE—FOR AWHILE

Some of the people who enter the industry, attracted by this popularity, are hobby breeders or investors who get into the action with popular bloodlines, spending high dollars and pushing the "value" of these cattle even higher. This opens the door to promoters rather than breeders, and invites people who know how to promote the latest trend. This gives a false picture to the average seed stock producer and to the stockmen who utilize the breed—and especially to the new breeders just coming into the business

They assume that the highest selling bulls or the females bringing high dollars are the best kind to have. But if that "value" doesn't have a direct benefit to functionality and the commercial cattleman's bottom line, this can lead a breed in the wrong direction.

Any breeder—purebred or commercial—who tries to select cattle by the criteria being promoted today will eventually end up with a herd that has lost ground in some of the most important traits.

Seed stock breeders who use "numbers" genetics and the popular bloodlines that have been promoted more on hype than on their actual do- ability are finding that this is not working for their commercial customers.

Jake":35276thq said:
I'm typing this from my phone so I can't put the pictures up but the sale was quite impressive. Top to bottom one if not the best set of bulls I have ever seen. The bulls averaged $10,475. The top seller brought $283,000 and was worth every penny.

The pioneer cattle were very impressive and I am planning on purchasing some semen.

Jake, I hope your pockets are deep enough for the feed it will take to duplicate those results. :)

KMacGinley":kntqqgnh said:
Jake, I hope your pockets are deep enough for the feed it will take to duplicate those results. :)

:) Oh I'm not worried about duplicating those results. I am just looking to get a little performance back into our steers. I love the Ohlde heifers but the extra pounds are missed at sale time. I'm not looking to by just any bull, looking for more the genetic outliers that fit exactly what I'm looking for. Sadly for me the bull I had picked out at Schaff's to do what I wanted went for $285,000 :cry2: Guess if nothing else at least I can say I can pick 'em.

Here are the photos
SchaffSale001.jpg

SchaffSale002.jpg

SchaffSale003.jpg

SchaffSale004.jpg

SchaffSale005.jpg

SchaffSale006.jpg

SchaffSale007.jpg

SchaffSale008.jpg

SchaffSale010.jpg

SchaffSale011.jpg

SchaffSale012.jpg