SAV Resource died today

Help Support CattleToday:

polledbull

Reaction score
SAV Resource has died , it was reported that Resource died today , just saw it on a Angus group on Face book , He will go down as a great one, it also that Vin Mar O riley Factor also died today

If he has not created a son or sons that are as good as he is by now he was not worth using anyway. Just one more bull if he could not truly replicate and replace himself.

Ebenezer said:
If he has not created a son or sons that are as good as he is by now he was not worth using anyway. Just one more bull if he could not truly replicate and replace himself.
Ebenezer said:

Not sure what your definition is of replicating himself is. He is the most consistent sire of replicating his natural depth, muscle, masculinity, feet quality and pounds in a moderate package as any we've ever used.
There's plenty of sons out there that are being used heavily by different AI companies.
I think it's pretty impressive for him and his sons to be as popular as he was. Not many Bulls that aren't CE and Low Birthweight get used like he was.

Buford Pathfinder
Ellington Chaps
SAV Regard
And his replacement in my opinion will be SAV Territory.

callmefence said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
callmefence said:
I'll tell what's sad.. Jerry mckinnis, host of the " fishin hole" died yesterday.

Start a thread for him but include a link to his bio so I can learn who he was.

Until I'm finished mourning the loss of SAV resource your gonna have to do your own research

How's your hand there Stitch?

TennesseeTuxedo said:
callmefence said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Start a thread for him but include a link to his bio so I can learn who he was.

Until I'm finished mourning the loss of SAV resource your gonna have to do your own research

How's your hand there Stitch?

Completely healed, didn't even leave a scar.
Course it's been 3 full day's .

LCBulls said:
Ebenezer said:
Ebenezer said:

Not sure what your definition is of replicating himself is. He is the most consistent sire of replicating his natural depth, muscle, masculinity, feet quality and pounds in a moderate package as any we've ever used.
There's plenty of sons out there that are being used heavily by different AI companies.
I think it's pretty impressive for him and his sons to be as popular as he was. Not many Bulls that aren't CE and Low Birthweight get used like he was.

Buford Pathfinder
Ellington Chaps
SAV Regard
That's good news on his use. So just move to the next generation and keep on.

Replication: some livestock are genetic outliers and can never reproduce offspring that are close to their own function and usefulness.

LCBulls said:
Ebenezer said:
Ebenezer said:

Buford Pathfinder
Ellington Chaps
SAV Regard
Don't know if you are a big believer of EPDs or not. With nearly 2000 daughters reported he has a CEM of -1. You mentioned the BW (+4.1) on nearly 15,000 calves reported. I cannot say that he seems useful with those numbers. Even if you used him strictly as a terminal bull he is minus on marbling. Glad he has worked for you.

Ebenezer said:
LCBulls said:
Ebenezer said:
Ebenezer said:

Buford Pathfinder
Ellington Chaps
SAV Regard
Don't know if you are a big believer of EPDs or not. With nearly 2000 daughters reported he has a CEM of -1. You mentioned the BW (+4.1) on nearly 15,000 calves reported. I cannot say that he seems useful with those numbers. Even if you used him strictly as a terminal bull he is minus on marbling. Glad he has worked for you.

CEM is a heifer only EPD. I'd take the extra 5 percentage assistance on heifers to actually have cattle with dimension and substance to them. We haven't assisted any Resource heifers at birth.
"On paper" his marbling is low, but his progeny have produced nearly 100 percent choice or prime.
Breed some cows to him and compare them vs The high $B Sires out there and you'll be a believer in type and kind. Unless you prefer to breed Giraffes 🦒 What sires do you like?

LCBulls said:
Ebenezer said:
LCBulls said:

Buford Pathfinder
Ellington Chaps
SAV Regard

CEM is a heifer only EPD. I'd take the extra 5 percentage assistance on heifers to actually have cattle with dimension and substance to them. We haven't assisted any Resource heifers at birth.
"On paper" his marbling is low, but his progeny have produced nearly 100 percent choice or prime.
Breed some cows to him and compare them vs The high $B Sires out there and you'll be a believer in type and kind. Unless you prefer to breed Giraffes 🦒 What sires do you like?

Those accurate EPDs must not be very good if your experience trumps all they tell. Have at it with the heifer assistance. That's not something to care to create.

Bulls I like: 515 was a good one along with grandson 715. Then there were 822, 825, 846, 883 and 861 that did what I needed. The 786 bull did not sire enough size in general so the sort was higher on daughters to keep even though fertility and function was good. Looking forward to calves by 886 and 932 plus others in 2/2020. I have a 492 daughter to breed in 2020 and should have more of them on the ground, too. Will use 890, 895 and maybe 915 in 2020 and might AI a few more. Maybe a few more and more picked to use later. Plan your breeding and breed your plan.

Ebenezer said:
LCBulls said:
Ebenezer said:

Those accurate EPDs must not be very good if your experience trumps all they tell. Have at it with the heifer assistance. That's not something to care to create.

Bulls I like: 515 was a good one along with grandson 715. Then there were 822, 825, 846, 883 and 861 that did what I needed. The 786 bull did not sire enough size in general so the sort was higher on daughters to keep even though fertility and function was good. Looking forward to calves by 886 and 932 plus others in 2/2020. I have a 492 daughter to breed in 2020 and should have more of them on the ground, too. Will use 890, 895 and maybe 915 in 2020 and might AI a few more. Maybe a few more and more picked to use later. Plan your breeding and breed your plan.

Ha Ha.
Keep breeding those flat sided cattle and breed out the pelvic size. It just creates a use for bulls like Resource. Look up the difference in assistant between a bull of +10 CE and 0 CE. It's really not that much.
Anyone breeding their Cows to a - BW Bull is leaving lbs on the table at weaning, regardless of what the EPDs might say.

P. S. It's not just my experience with him.

I know a few breeders that nearly ruined thier herds using -BW bulls forever , they had a hard time getting a calf big enough to wean , there is a place for it , but for the mature cow herd, give me a 85 lb calf , and I can wean a very nice weanig weight , in fact we weaned some just this fall from the spring calving group that weaned over 675lbs off the cow without supplement , they will make a man money , a few were over 700lb

polledbull said:
I know a few breeders that nearly ruined thier herds using -BW bulls forever , they had a hard time getting a calf big enough to wean , there is a place for it , but for the mature cow herd, give me a 85 lb calf , and I can wean a very nice weanig weight , in fact we weaned some just this fall from the spring calving group that weaned over 675lbs off the cow without supplement , they will make a man money , a few were over 700lb

I agree. The BW EPD seems to be a good prediction. I don't like to use those negative BWs and if you stack too much CE in a pedigree, it can result in low growth. I don't mind doing it in heifers to get them past that first calf. I have Simmentals and my average BW is 87 pounds. That suits me fine.

Keep breeding those flat sided cattle and breed out the pelvic size.
Slander and "Fake Bull". You have no idea what my bulls look like, how they breed or the cows, calves, ease of keeping, function level, ....

I really feel sorry for you having to argue with accurate EPDs. I never heard anything about CED -10 or 0. That's you line, not mine. Try to slander better next time. This effort is weak.

Ebenezer said:
Keep breeding those flat sided cattle and breed out the pelvic size.
Slander and "Fake Bull". You have no idea what my bulls look like, how they breed or the cows, calves, ease of keeping, function level, ....

I really feel sorry for you having to argue with accurate EPDs. I never heard anything about CED -10 or 0. That's you line, not mine. Try to slander better next time. This effort is weak.

Go back and re-read your comments. It's pretty obvious who's trying to "slander" with no experience with using this bull.
I never argued about his CEM. I just said that it wasn't important to me. Also sent you info where it said his progeny were nearly 100 percent choice and prime.
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.
(+10 CE vs 0 CE)

Latest posts