SAV Net Worth 4200 (Angus)

Help Support CattleToday:

The calves that I am seeing out of him are VERY impressive…They have style, correct structure, and lots of meat. I know we will be using him! His calves are also doing well at the livestock shows.

I have seen a few of his calves. They looked real good. Just be prepared for some BIG birth weight calves. One recent sale had several that the actual birth weight was 100-115+ lb range. I think Net Worth is going to be an Angus star for a long time. He is just starting to become more widely used. Seems like most bull sales in my area are being dominated by his sons.

He's a real power bull. We bred him to a few of our mature cows this year. cant wait to see the offspring. The calves I've seen out him seems to be really nice. Much better than his sires offspring..(IMO)

That's a really nice looking bull, but that EN value is really bad. I'm curious what the intended use is with him?

RD-Sam":28irw3b4 said:
That's a really nice looking bull, but that EN value is really bad. I'm curious what the intended use is with him?

He's a big bull. Bigger animals generally require more energy (feed) than smaller ones. We'll use him to produce bulls for commercial cattlemen. In this area, they like bigger bulls. We keep looking, but so far we haven't found a perfect bull. :( I'm thinking this guy might work on some of our cows.

Cow Energy Value ($EN), expressed in dollars savings per cow per year, assesses differences in cow energy requirements as an expected dollar savings difference in daughters of sires. A larger value is more favorable when comparing two animals (more dollars saved on feed energy expenses). Components for computing the cow $EN savings difference include lactation energy requirements and energy costs associated with differences in mature cow size.

Thanks for the comments, guys. He's still kinda young, but has been showing up on some feed test reports. While his sons are not blowing the top off the test with ADG, for the most part, they're doing better than average. And are from several different producers. Hmmmm. Now if I can find a GENEX rep......

You can have him shipped from Bovine Elite in College Station, TX if you cant find a genex guy in your neck of the woods.

Frankie...
I know my Genex Rep, pretty well :D . There is a backorder list, but it is not 8000+ units. The bull is filling it with each collection. The local rep has a little in his tank ;-)

As I said earlier about three weeks ago Angus Semen Service told my partner there was an 8000 unit backorder. Im sure the bull is filling orders and it may not be that far behind now but I would think Ken Barnhart would have a pretty good idea of the situation. He may have been trying to steer us toward another bull but that is what we were told.

Circle H Ranch

bulldealer":c5u7vgku said:
Frankie...
I know my Genex Rep, pretty well :D . There is a backorder list, but it is not 8000+ units. The bull is filling it with each collection. The local rep has a little in his tank ;-)

Great service! Would you please ask him to hold some for us?

Well in my opinion he's too much "bigger, better, faster"...
With numbers like WW 62, YW 116 , Milk 29 unless I was using him on an awful sorry bunch of cows- he'd be considered a terminal sire to me... Especially with that high of Milk EPD I'd be scared of keeping any of the heifers sired by him....

Birth Weight 90
Weaning Weight: 995 :shock: (some of the yearling bulls I turned out barely weighed that)
Frame Score 6.4
EN$ -15.78

Definitely doesn't fit the "moderation in all areas" that can keep a guy out of a trainwreck...

I agree with you Oldtimer, but when SAV averages $9000 on 150 Net Worth sons, well sounds like you and me are behind the curve. :D At least I know the newest member of the bull of the month club is.. I have never seen any Net Worth progeny, but what I hear is he adds some thickness and volume, which is certainly a good thing.

A question for everyone who has used him or seen progeny out of him. How are calves by Net Worth for hair, feet, and disposition??

Yep-and he is a nice looking bull-- but I learned the hard way to be leery of these genetics/bulls that are touted as being able to do everything except tag the calf ;-) And more and more people are seeing it in their cow herds-- especially around here this winter when the hay stacks are melting away mighty fast- and there is still no signs of seeing any bare ground soon....

Just had a fellow the other day commenting about his angus cows were all getting too big - over 1500 lbs- and they were eating like they had elephant genetics ...Said he might have to start picking out the smaller peanuts in the fall for replacement heifers instead of the middle and top end heifers... Like I told him- instead of doing that- you need to look somewhere else for bulls- and genetics....Moderation on all aspects can avoid future train wrecks...

How is the Disposition on the net worth calves ? good enough disposition for my 70 year old father who helps me?

As far as disposition goes…They seem to be fairly docile. One of my friends has one that his 9yr old is showing with ease and the ones in the pasture do not seem to be high headed or high speeded.

For what it's worth: he has a Disposition EPD of only +1. I'm convinced that management plays into disposition as much as genetics.

Looks like heritability for docility is around .37 so environment (the management!) most likely does play more than the genetics.

Mature height is .82 heritable. Much easier to select for that trait.

Same could be said for growth traits. Growth traits run between .20 and .42 heritable. (The environment plays a big part!) Remember that the next time there are oohs! and aahs! over a group of bulls with 900 pound weaning weights or conversely 400 pound (ugh!) weaning weights.

Latest posts