SAV Cattlemaster

Help Support CattleToday:

blacksnake

Reaction score
Semen available from ST. Just wondering why he didn't get more usage. EPDs look good. He was born in 2014 and most EPD accuracies are in the .4 range. Maybe he was used more in commercial herds. Picture, for what it's worth, is on ST website.

Maybe the BW scares some folks? Not sure why with the CED rating. His calves wold need extra groceries to work around here with the terminal type growth and size. Daughters would fall out here, too. But he would be a good choice for feeder calves from cows.

blacksnake said:
Semen available from ST. Just wondering why he didn't get more usage. EPDs look good. He was born in 2014 and most EPD accuracies are in the .4 range. Maybe he was used more in commercial herds. Picture, for what it's worth, is on ST website.
I've been looking at this bull as well, not so much for me but for a friend who raises cattle for the feeder market. If I'm reading the registration for him correctly he has had ZERO offspring registered and he is now 5 years old. I don't think ST Genetics wouldn't devote space in their semen catalog if they weren't selling some, so someone must be using him. It must be the commercial segment. He is definitely a terminal-type sire, and his birth weight EPD, milk EPD and $EN aren't what I personally like, but man does he have good carcass trait EPDs. Despite his high birth weight EPD, his CED EPD is a +9, which some people still consider a calving ease bull. His photo isn't bad, I wonder how much usage he got/gets at S A V ?

I contacted ST about why there was no progeny data on Cattlemaster. They said until recently he was used exclusively in Brazil. So no data turned in to AAA. Should start seeing data turned in as he is used more here.

Any new info on this bull? Anyone have calves or seen calves? Seen the bull? Really intrigued by his pedigree and numbers. Don't need another bull for this breeding season, but maybe in the future.

With SAV 8180 Traveler 004, N Bar Emulation EXT and Connealy Consensus 7229 in the pedigree it looks like good cow maker material to me. For a bull born almost 10 years ago his EPDs are still very good.

With SAV 8180 Traveler 004, N Bar Emulation EXT and Connealy Consensus 7229 in the pedigree it looks like good cow maker material to me. For a bull born almost 10 years ago his EPDs are still very good.

I agree with your analysis. Many of his EPD's are below 60% so I don't pay any attention to them. But his pedigree says he should be a maternal sire. I find it amusing anymore that when a sire has enough growth and his milk EPD is at least average for his daughters to raise a profitable calf many label them terminal. No one size or type works best here. The short toads don't work here. Haven't seen any progeny of this bull but would be interested in seeing some.

@elkwc as a general rule I do not like the SAV cattle much because they tend to have higher BW, higher MW and lower marbling than I like.
I always question their advertised weaning weights of >1000 lbs. because I've never had one come close to that. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or maybe I don't have the same feed resources that they have. I wouldn't use this sire on heifers, because he has a BW EPD of +2.6 and an actual birth weight of 91 lbs, but he would be fine on mature cows.
When I look at the pedigree of this sire, he has the SAV prefix on his name but, I see lots of non-SAV influence that I like.
Based strictly on the pedigree I would expect him to sire good functional cattle, I too would like to see some of his calves.

Latest posts