Sausage press

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I always wanted one and hoped I could catch one on a good sale... Well I finally did this one isn't top of the line but works for my needs. I paid 20.00 for it and couldn't beat it.

I paid 80.00 for one last year from gander mountain. And it wasn't as good as that one.
Looks like a 4" pipe elbow with a plunger.
Turned out ok though. A 3 foot cheater pipe and the wife can use it fine.

I use an old fashion lard press it works good and is a 100 plus years old. I've bought and sold a dozen or more through the years. I'm wanting to build a water press for making sausage, something that'll make 50 lbs or more in one fill up.

wacocowboy":17o0nkys said:
Did you have a gun pointed at the cashier when you bought that? I need to shop with Sky.

I bought it at northern tool theres no one around for a good distance that makes sausage :lol: So after it gathers dust for a while they start marking stuff down like crazy...

I made countless turns on the handle on an old cast iron one when I was a boy. I remember getting fussed at if I wasn't paying attention and kept turning after it got to the end of the casing.

skyhightree1":3jbwqqfq said:
wacocowboy":3jbwqqfq said:
Did you have a gun pointed at the cashier when you bought that? I need to shop with Sky.

I bought it at northern tool theres no one around for a good distance that makes sausage :lol: So after it gathers dust for a while they start marking stuff down like crazy...

We don't have any of those around here have to go to Dallas, Houston or maybe Austin.

So with the weather getting nicer now I'm getting the itch to run the smoker some weekend soon and I've always wanted to try making my own sausage logs to smoke. Anyone have a good recipe and instructions on how they do theirs? I don't have a sausage press or a grinder at the moment, may have to look into purchasing them but wondered if there is an easy way just to manually mix some ground pork and beef together with my hands and season it before throwing it on the smoker?

SPH":2fwr7utc said:
So with the weather getting nicer now I'm getting the itch to run the smoker some weekend soon and I've always wanted to try making my own sausage logs to smoke. Anyone have a good recipe and instructions on how they do theirs? I don't have a sausage press or a grinder at the moment, may have to look into purchasing them but wondered if there is an easy way just to manually mix some ground pork and beef together with my hands and season it before throwing it on the smoker?

Without a stuffer it would be hard. You could make something along the lines of a chub which is easier to stuff because of the large diameter. You can use cloth bags or even panty hose for this. Or just make a fatty but I don't think any of these would be what you are after. You really need a stuffer. If you are unsure if you'd like making sausage a cheap stuffer is the Weston manual stuffer. They run around $60 but if you think you are going to like doing it I'd go ahead and buy a crank stuffer.

Jogeephus":36se0liw said:
SPH":36se0liw said:

Without a stuffer it would be hard. You could make something along the lines of a chub which is easier to stuff because of the large diameter. You can use cloth bags or even panty hose for this. Or just make a fatty but I don't think any of these would be what you are after. You really need a stuffer. If you are unsure if you'd like making sausage a cheap stuffer is the Weston manual stuffer. They run around $60 but if you think you are going to like doing it I'd go ahead and buy a crank stuffer.

do new or used panty hose work the best???

M-5":1f4gzhbd said:
Jogeephus":1f4gzhbd said:
SPH":1f4gzhbd said:

do new or used panty hose work the best???

Never done it myself but I would hope they use new ones else there might be a funky taste in the sausage.

So how would you word that? "Honey, it's time to stuff my sausage......would you mind taking off your pantyhose?" :mrgreen:

Alan":3ri8pqjd said:
So how would you word that? "Honey, it's time to stuff my sausage......would you mind taking off your pantyhose?" :mrgreen:

Another Perv like me ... Just what we needed :cowboy:

Latest posts