Sauerruben

Help Support CattleToday:

The tube part is what I mean. Seems like its a root like a tater. I got a couple of baskets full of softball sized turnips and I gotta find some use for them. We've put up all we can and I just can't see tossing them out.

I would think that fried turnip would work, little flour, lots of oil. It would be nice to find something that would help the wait till the new squash is ready. :nod: If fried doesn't work maybe hog bait? :???: Then fry the hog. :banana:

Can't help but think fried turnip would turn on you. Might have to put a couple cups of sugar in the batter. Can't imagine ketchup on them either. :lol: :lol: MNMT's hog solution sounds like a pretty good one. :nod:

Jogeephus":3mom3li4 said:
1982vett":3mom3li4 said:
Don't they bury kimchi in the ground so they don't have to smell it? :p

I think its a lot easier to just put it by your dirty socks.

I've tried to remain silent on this subject, but I think that it's time for the truth to come out.......

When the talk of dirty socks start coming out, I now believe that Jo's making pruno.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pruno

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: I'm not that desperate yet. But if you ever drink Knob Creek you better stock up on it now cause its fixing to go up tremendously.

I'm just trying to figure out how to maximize my return on $16.00 worth of turnip seed. I've fed the neighborhood, I've fed strangers, I've fed the family, I've fed the cows but while I love turnips a man can only eat but so many. :nod:

After reading all 4 pages of this I can't help but wondering why didn't you just feed the turnips to the cattle?

KNERSIE":qumbaju0 said:
After reading all 4 pages of this I can't help but wondering why didn't you just feed the turnips to the cattle?

I did. I just made one last picking before I did. We cooked em, gave em away and still got some left over. I just hate to have spent all the time washing them and picking them to turn right back around and feed them to the cows.

It should be ready in 2-4 weeks now. It's not smelling much now. If I stick my finger in the water it smells just like saurkraut. I hope it will be good.

Angus Cowman":19vprjie said:
How much longer before it is ready Jo?

I asked an old timer about it the other day and she said she used to make it all the time and if it is made correctly it is great but made improperly it can be lethal

OH come on :???: Joe said He's going to try it out on the guys who eat yotes. :roll:

mnmtranching":30l6h3gv said:
Angus Cowman":30l6h3gv said:
How much longer before it is ready Jo?

I asked an old timer about it the other day and she said she used to make it all the time and if it is made correctly it is great but made improperly it can be lethal

OH come on :???: Joe said He's going to try it out on the guys who eat yotes. :roll:

I'm glad you made this post cause I forgot all about it. Checked the calandar and it should be more than ready. Here is a picture of the result of weeks of toil and careful cooking techniques. :lol2:

IMG_3279.jpg

I haven't warmed any up yet but I have had several samples of it right out of the crock. I gotta say its pretty good. Tastes kinda like saurerkraut but its not as salty or strong. Its kinda like a moderate sauerkraut without the bite. Its good though and if I post tomorrow you'll know it didn't kill me. I think I'll make it again but next time I'm going to put some more salt in it and maybe some pickling spices to increase the flavor a bit. I like spices. But all in all it was worth the trouble.

Her sweetnesty just came home and informed me I jumped the gun and explained how to use a calandar. :oops: She likes the way it tastes so we are going to cook some tonight, can some tonight and put the rest back in to go the full length of time. Maybe in two more weeks it will have more bite.

Jogeephus":383gph2z said:
Her sweetnesty just came home and informed me I jumped the gun and explained how to use a calandar. :oops: She likes the way it tastes so we are going to cook some tonight, can some tonight and put the rest back in to go the full length of time. Maybe in two more weeks it will have more bite.
Don't ya hate it when they are always right

Jogeephus":1me74ulh said:

I was wondering how 4-6 weeks had passed since March 2. I thought I had lost a month somewhere

dun":frp1lxc7 said:
Jogeephus":frp1lxc7 said:

I was wondering how 4-6 weeks had passed since March 2. I thought I had lost a month somewhere

When you lose something as simple as your reading glasses you can lose just about anything including time. :oops: :lol2: :nod:

My dad's cousin made some of that stuff and I agree with Jogee - not as salty or strong as regular kraut. i like it a lot better than sauerkraut - his was grated really fine - made for an interesting texture as well as taste.

My wife says it has a hint of horseradish. I plan on carrying some more on for the full 4 and 6 week period to see how it turns out.

Latest posts