Sattelite internet

Help Support CattleToday:

Susie David":39kgfkkc said:
We're on dial-up (50.60kbs right now) but don't have the DSL run out in our area. Have been thinking about sattelite but will probably wait...
Took a lightening strike last year out by the main road that took out our modem and all the buried phone cable...good excuse to buy a new computer (the old one wouldn't take the mes MSN) Our son even brings his own machine when he comes home for the summer.
DMc

Dave, now that you have a new computer, I sure hope you got a surge protector so lightning won't take out your new modem!

One thing I like about the Satellite and why I have been thinking of changing is that you do not tie up your phone line, and it is on all the time. I use my phone for business also and for me I think it would be smarter than missing some important call. It only cost about 20.00 more a month than dial up service. Cheaper than a special phone line set up for Computer and fax like we had before.

aplusmnt":156qtxx5 said:
One thing I like about the Satellite and why I have been thinking of changing is that you do not tie up your phone line, and it is on all the time. I use my phone for business also and for me I think it would be smarter than missing some important call. It only cost about 20.00 more a month than dial up service. Cheaper than a special phone line set up for Computer and fax like we had before.

Are you refering to a wireless network? Or an individual system for your home? I've heard of some decent speeds on the two wireless service providers here.

aplusmnt":1ncc1mny said:

We're on SBC here. I was able to get a program called "ring on busy" or something like that. When the regular phone line is busy, the call automaticall transfers to my cell phone number. We had the internet answering service CALLWAVE for a while, but they started charging for it so we decided that if we could roll over our calls to the CALLWAVE number, why nor our cell phone? I think it's about $1 a month for the service. It's not the call forwarding service. You have to give them a permanent number to roll over to and it may not be available with your phone co, but might be worth your while to check.

Call around and see if anyone is coming into your neck of the woods with wireless access. If they are, and its within the year, wait for it.

I've had a Direcway satellite system for 2 years now, and while it is marginally better than dial up, its not worth the extra money per month. If you frequent internet chat rooms, or play any kind of online games, the satellite system will simply not work for you. Too much latency (up to 3 seconds lag between signal send and reception) I also have a great deal of difficulty with dropped frames, even though I've got a large dish and the most powerful receiver/tranceiver they offered. These dropped frames will often rear up during "real time" stuff like chats or games, resulting in having to resend the message or command. And Direcway has a fair bit of down time per month, plus network problems with their email servers going down and sending messages off into the void.

Rod

Diamond,,,,,,,,what is the difference between wireless service and satellite service? Maybe that is what is going up on the top of the co-op elevator here?

Wireless is internet over radio waves, and its a possibility thats whats going on your Co-op elevator. Wireless internet doesn't have any lag and is capable of in-town DSL speeds (5 meg+). You'll need a direct line of sight from the main transmitter to your receiver/transmitter.

Satellite on the other hand beams its signals to and from a satellite in orbit. Thats where the latency comes in, as those signals just can't travel fast enough. And your bandwidth is currently restricted by the low power stuff that consumers are allowed to purchase.

We're supposed to be seeing wireless access here within the next few months. The day its online, I'll be dumping the dish and moving on.

Rod

Just looked up the flyer they gave me and it is wireless not satellite. I am going to have to call and get it hooked up. Went to there website looks a lot better than my slow dial up and satellite options.

I work for a cable company in town, but I am unable to get cable where I currently live. I have sat. and dsl right now, and after having broadband at 8 megs download and 3 megs upload, this 1.5 meg dsl is weak. We are looking at a new place and I all I could get out there is dial up, maybe.

csutton

Being 40 km from town, going on wireless has been a Godsend.
For example, when the power and phone lines are down, I can at least send email to the repair crews.

It's also so much faster than over the phone lines, and with almost all the websites on the internet using so many graphics it's sure nice not to have to wait five minutes for a page to open (can't remember what I had to slow down the pc to in order for it to work on our phone line, but it was sure turtle slow).

Dial-up was costing about $28/monthly and wireless has been around $40/monthly, but seeing as we don't have satelite hooked up anymore, can afford the price difference.

Take care.

we are getting ready to sign up for verizon's wireless internet. we live out in the boonies ourselves, so dial-up, at anywhere from 14.8-20.8, is all we get. for verizon we are sticking an antennae and other various parts like you would use for a cell phone booster for you car in our house in one room so all you need is the 'card' that goes into your laptop or USB plug in for your desktop. verizon had the best deal for our area and usage.

Latest posts