Santa Maria style grills ?

Help Support CattleToday:

jd720

Reaction score
I`m thinking about making a Santa Maria style grill we can use for family gatherings and such. Just wondered if any of you have them and how you like them ? I plan on making an angle iron frame and putting some type of wheels on it and lining the firebox with fire brick. I want to be able to get it out of the weather since we will only use it a few times a year. It`s hard to beat steaks and other meats cooked on a wood fire instead of the gas grill but also hard to beat the convenience of gas when we grill several times a week year round.

I looked into one of those but ended up getting a chargriller from lowes, it has a propane section and a charcoal and I bought the small fire box to mount on the side for smoking ,I use charcoal to start with then add a little bit of oak and it always turns out good

Or you could buy this one for $26K

K750HS-freestanding-gaucho-grill-larger.jpg

https://kalamazoogourmet.com/products/k ... Ah0R8P8HAQ

I used to have one. My grill only had 2 adjustments. Actually one on the left, and one on the right. I didn't use thick enough metal on the bottom of mine. It got wavy. Seems like I covered mine in sand, and not fire bricks.

Had a friend who visited Argentina and they used something like this and he liked it a lot. He was planning on building one only he was going to make his fixed out of brick and use a stainless steel for the hardware. Don't know if he ever built his or not but he raved on how well it did meat. Seems like he called it something else though but maybe not.

Jogeephus":3sozk0oh said:
Had a friend who visited Argentina and they used something like this and he liked it a lot. He was planning on building one only he was going to make his fixed out of brick and use a stainless steel for the hardware. Don't know if he ever built his or not but he raved on how well it did meat. Seems like he called it something else though but maybe not.

The videos I've seen from South and central America..they just use a curled up old piece of tin and a length of hog wire.

greybeard":2o9r7ab6 said:
Jogeephus":2o9r7ab6 said:

The videos I've seen from South and central America..they just use a curled up old piece of tin and a length of hog wire.

Wouldn't take anything to build one and from your description GB, I've cooked on one and didn't even know it but I don't think the place my friend stayed at was that rustic.

Latest posts