Santa gerts

Help Support CattleToday:

KMacGinley

Reaction score
Went back home for my Niece's open house this weekend, visited my old childhood friend, Kindergarten through 12th grade. haven't seen him for 10 years or so. He is raising Santa Gertrudis, rather unusual for Indiana, but looked to be very impressive cattle.
He is selling breeding stock and marketing steers as freezer beef. Does quite a bit of showing at the national level, apparently very successful.
On the freezer beef, he said that he has a waiting list for the beef. Gave me a new respect for the eared cattle.

Although I've always liked the looks of Santas I know from first hand experience that they need to interact with people on a regular basis otherwise you'll have to hunt them down especially in rough mountaineous terrain.

Doesn't go to show they do good on the rail. Goes to show people want beef from a know sorce and people want to save a little money. I think just about anyone I've know who raises cattle constantly get asked about slaughter steers. I think it's if you want to do it or not.

Yeah, there are a few breeders in Indiana that do pretty well nationally. There has been more of a demand for red cattle, and the gerts can thrive even in Canada. Anyone that I have handed a cut of beef to has told me how exceptional the meat is. Most of my "city" friends will NOT let me go to a BBQ without bringing Santa Gertrudis beef.

Latest posts