Santa Gertrudis x angus herford ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lrj505

Reaction score
A buddy wants to sell me his full blood (unregistered) Santa Gertrudis bull. I have angus x herford cows. He wants $1500 . No experience with these bulls or offspring ? I was also considering a simangus bull? Or even a red Simmental ? I have included a pic of the bull. I sell all steers and keep heifers. The Santa Gertrudis is 2 year old.

Lrj505":3jqpy6vx said:
A buddy wants to sell me his full blood (unregistered) Santa Gertrudis bull. I have angus x herford cows. He wants $1500 . No experience with these bulls or offspring ? I was also considering a simangus bull? Or even a red Simmental ? I have included a pic of the bull. I sell all steers and keep heifers. The Santa Gertrudis is 2 year old.

Where do you live? The cattle with Brahman influence sell much better in the South.

Your cattle are Black Baldies? I think you would get some good offspring with a Santa Gertrudis bull. You would also get good momma cows.

The best heterosis from your Angus X Hereford cows would probably be the Simmental, since it is a continental bull, and that would give you the best three-way cross. Other good options would be Limousin, Charolais, or other continental breeds. In this situation you would probably want to sell all the calves.

Albuquerque. I took red steers to the auction and to my surprise got as much as the black ones ? My weaning weights were less than 500 pounds. I used a Brangus bull last round. I can also get a registered Black Angus for $2000. I want black preferably or red next and pounds. Seems like red simmentals are more built than blacks ? A red calf with 100 pounds more weaning weight will make me more than a smaller black calf. At least I think.

Santa Gertrudis are very fine cattle for hot dry climates and I assume you have harsh conditions in New Mexico.
For 2 years old he looks small and lacking in masculinity.
I don't know the market where you're located, but a bull of his quality would bring up to 95 cents a pound around here.

Other than wanting $1500 in his pocket, why does your 'buddy' want you to buy/use this bull?
Can your cows wean a 570 lb calf and breed back in a timely manner under your conditions and feed available to them?
It sounds as if you are keeping and breeding all your heifers, if so calving ease should be a priority and a black angus
would be more suitable.

Cows are feed as much oat hay as they can eat. About 30-40 pounds a day 9% protein.

A friend here uses Gert bulls over Hereford, Angus, and baldies. Steer Calves are thick muscled dudes, and daughters are something to look at. We have bought a few of the smaller heifers off him. I agree that bull for a 2 year old doesn't look anything like the Gert bulls he uses. Definitely lacking. But since your market will tolerate an ear better than here it's not a bad way to go with the right bull. Good luck.

I found a Maine Angus for $1,800. I don't think the Gert is a good bull. What you guys think ?

Good eye didn't notice that. Besides feet how is the body ? I am not gonna buy this bull

Lrj505":q2zp3cfz said:
Good eye didn't notice that. Besides feet how is the body ? I am not gonna buy this bull
Not my type but I'm not a Maine fan either. But the feet are enough to not use him regardless of color. I like more length. Something that has been bred out of many today.

I totally get, that you are just starting. We all started somewhere, but neither of the bulls youv'e posted are really anything you should even consider using for a herd bull. Is there someone in your area, that could possibly mentor you on cattle selection? Having a good start, is either going to make ya or break ya down the road.

Your bull is half of your calf crop. It's something you should try to get right. If nothing else, look for a long deep bodied bull, with a big butt. That would be a starting place.

Lrj505":2gx6ghzt said:
His body is the best part of him,, to bad his feet won't hold up long enough to carry it around.. I'm surprised the breeder would even offer him.............and don't let him sell you on him,,,that's heritable..

Latest posts