Santa Gertrudis bull on red angus x limousin heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I have 3 red angus x limo heifers that I would like to have bred. My neighbor has a Santa Gertrudis bull that he will let me use to turn out with these three heifers. He has a good disposition, workable and throws low BW calves. What can I expect from this type of mixing as far as meat quality, growth and appearance? The heifers are a dark red color with limo builds and angus looking heads. They all weigh about 900 lbs. at this point. I would plan to move the bull over at the 1st of Oct. Any experience with this cross or opinions welcome.

The cross will probably work well with dark red calves :?: , but are you sure that you want them to be calving in mid July?

The cross would be good. Heifers could be saved for replacements. BUT I would hold off putting them with the bull until late November or December for fall born calves.

Years ago we used a Gert bull on Angus, AngusXHolsteins and HerefordXHolsteins. The calves made great cows and the steers didn;t get docked for dairy, only for the little bit of ear.
But I happen to really like Gerts so I may have been barn blind to the dock if there was one.

dun

Latest posts