Sand Mountain Stockyard

Help Support CattleToday:

Brad Plunkett didn't stay at SMS because Mark Todd screwed him. Mark Todd told a bunch of lies to everyone. Brad was as big a sucker as Doc Evans. Brad can't get to the sale on time at his own sale little alone anyone elses. SMS has as good of prices if not better than anyone elses and they support the market. Pen Hooking does go on but it does at Ashville and Fort Payne also. The Stockyards get their commission no matter if it runs through the sale or sold outside. Doc Evans may be a good vet(that's a matter of opinion) but he knows nothing about running a stockyard and I'd bet the cow that he sucks at politics. The bank was never going to take the stockyard over, just rumors, one owner, Jim Williams, has the money to buy it twice. And rumor has it he probably will and it will continue to run as is. They better just hope the Childress' stay away. They are crooks and were trying to buy it along with Tommy Roberts. Stevie Peek better thank his lucky stars that that deal fell through or he would be jobless. Even though he was going to be part owner. Sounds crazy but crazier things have happened.

etowah-county-farmer":2ezbes29 said:
Got the scoop...SMS is being managed by Michael Thomas and Stevie Peek is helping him. The two owners are in a lawsuit regarding SMS and until it gets settled, both owners have agreed to stay away. Apparently, a guy that Evans is in a land deal with got involved with SMS somehow and did quite a bit of financial damage that is trying to be cleaned up. I never had any dealings with Evans, but the Williams guy always seemed like he appreciated your business. Doesn't seem like Evans has any long term plans of being back at SMS. He has been in Kentucky and is now running for St Clair Commission Chairman. We'll wait and see what happens.

Jim Williams owns Sand Mountain Stockyard (lock stock and barrell) as of 8/1/12

Jim Williams does own SMS now. He is John Williams' father. John was partners with Dave Evans before Evans and his thief friend, Todd, nearly broke the stockyard and ran off half the buyers. I've heard the lawsuit has been settled, but John is working somewhere else and his father, Jim, now owns 100% of SMS and is going to be overseeing things while Peek and Thomas manage it. I'm glad to see that they have finally have someone in the restaurant that is clean and stable. The food is pretty good too. I've been going to SMS with my father and grandfather ever since it opened. I wish the Williams' family well and hope they can recover from the losses they incurred over Evans and his ordeal. John seemed like he always appreciated everyone's business...Evans always seemed arrogant and could care less. So glad to know that he is out of it.

etowah-county-farmer":1zjob5is said:
Jim Williams does own SMS now. He is John Williams' father. John was partners with Dave Evans before Evans and his thief friend, Todd, nearly broke the stockyard and ran off half the buyers. I've heard the lawsuit has been settled, but John is working somewhere else and his father, Jim, now owns 100% of SMS and is going to be overseeing things while Peek and Thomas manage it. I'm glad to see that they have finally have someone in the restaurant that is clean and stable. The food is pretty good too. I've been going to SMS with my father and grandfather ever since it opened. I wish the Williams' family well and hope they can recover from the losses they incurred over Evans and his ordeal. John seemed like he always appreciated everyone's business...Evans always seemed arrogant and could care less. So glad to know that he is out of it.
yep he wasnt a people person,,, you gotta make em feel appreciated.. Billy lowry was a good one to deal with... i been using Arab for awhile now, on account of them drying up

From a producer's point if view that doesn't know anyone associated with the stockyard, I always enjoyed going to Kilpatrick to the sale as a kid and we took cattle there even though Fort Payne was 15 miles closer. The facilities were pretty nice and they didn't allow pen hookers. I've never cared for pen hookers myself and maybe thats why Kilpatrick seemed so much nicer. Somewhere about the time I got into high school(2003ish) that changed and SMS showed a noticable decline. Its good to hear that maybe things are turning around.

Latest posts