Sam's Club abruptly closes stores nationwide...

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":1eo9w5sw said:
"
Well here's my rant: Evidently Walmart is trying to cut down on shoplifting and now the greeters are also checking receipts. Today was the 4th time I've been stopped on my way out of the store with a cart full of dog/cat food, household products, etc.
They've been sporadically doing that here for as long as I can remember. Some days there's someone there looking at receipts on your way out, other days no greeter there at all, coming in or going out.
All of them are in about the same shape and age I am, so I dunno what they would do if they caught someone that had a few items they didn't pay for.

I thought they would increase the number of times they had receipt monitors when walmart went to so many self checkouts, but there seem to be even fewer now.
Ours used to have a 101 year old woman as the greeter, her husband worked in Lawn/Garden until he was 102. :)

This is a small town and I'm in there every week so it's not like they don't recognize me. The woman that stopped me today did say they are thinking about eliminating that position so presumably that's why they are all the sudden becoming more diligent.

Few years back Walmart here in town stopped using their self checkouts, heard somebody say it was in response to so much being stolen, don't know for sure but sounded logical. As of 2-3 years ago they have them back in operation. It is not uncommon to see police officers there responding to shoplifters. Around Christmas time we were going in a Walmart in a neighboring town, at the same time the alarm was going off and the greeter/monitor was hollering at a young man to stop, but he apparently just kept on going.

Have only been in Sam's Club once, went one evening to get some supplies for our church. When leaving a monitor waved us on, and we happened to go to the service counter, to ask a question about the membership as we just a temporary one from the church at the time. As we were going out the door we overheard the same monitor being what we thought to be very rude and condescending to a Spanish speaking lady with children. She was being accused of trying to hide some items in the buggy. Have no idea if that was true or not but I am sure that the company would not approve of the actions of the employee if indeed she was profiling based on a personal view.

Ky hills":xcb4ngzv said:
Have only been in Sam's Club once, went one evening to get some supplies for our church. When leaving a monitor waved us on, and we happened to go to the service counter, to ask a question about the membership as we just a temporary one from the church at the time. As we were going out the door we overheard the same monitor being what we thought to be very rude and condescending to a Spanish speaking lady with children. She was being accused of trying to hide some items in the buggy. Have no idea if that was true or not but I am sure that the company would not approve of the actions of the employee if indeed she was profiling based on a personal view.

And yet I'm being "reverse profiled". I'm not condoning rude and condescending behavior and I'm sure it was humiliating to the woman in your example if she was indeed innocent. How do you think it makes me feel, as a middle aged white woman that generally cleans up okay, when I'm stopped while someone else wearing pajamas in public and doesn't appear to have bathed within the week is allowed to leave without their receipt being checked? There is no easy answer in today's society where everything/everyone is supposed to be politically correct and generally over compensating to prove they're not racist/bigots/profiling (pick a noun).

TCRanch":2zq43sli said:
Ky hills":2zq43sli said:

And yet I'm being "reverse profiled". I'm not condoning rude and condescending behavior and I'm sure it was humiliating to the woman in your example if she was indeed innocent. How do you think it makes me feel, as a middle aged white woman that generally cleans up okay, when I'm stopped while someone else wearing pajamas in public and doesn't appear to have bathed within the week is allowed to leave without their receipt being checked? There is no easy answer in today's society where everything/everyone is supposed to be politically correct and generally over compensating to prove they're not racist/bigots/profiling (pick a noun).
The problem is the thieves and lack of punishment when they do get caught. Ask the door man next time they want to check your receipt, do I look like a thief to you?

TCRanch":3d9a8pcs said:
Ky hills":3d9a8pcs said:

I understand what you are saying, and I completely agree that today's society has some very big issues, and no easy answers. I was just giving an example of what we saw during our trip to that store, I have seen and experienced several instances of similar treatment to what you described, in other places so I definitely can sympathize.

True Grit Farms":3vkc9on3 said:
TCRanch":3vkc9on3 said:
Ky hills":3vkc9on3 said:

The problem is the thieves and lack of punishment when they do get caught. Ask the door man next time they want to check your receipt, do I look like a thief to you?

I did, but slightly more PC :roll: . See aforementioned post: The greeter/Barney Fife-wannabe explained that they make a point not to profile potential shoplifters. I can see why a lot of people are now doing a large portion of their shopping on the net.

TexasBred":1nh5yio6 said:
Down here it seems like there is a Dollar General just about everywehre there is a highway intersection and a Family Dollar across the street. But they draw from a lot of countryside that doesn't have any kind of store for miles and miles so I guess they sell enough to keep the doors open.

Yeah I noticed that. Wide spots in the road like Kosse and Riesel got them now lol. I am just waiting for one in Otto.

TCRanch":23t0zecx said:
Snip...
See aforementioned post: The greeter/Barney Fife-wannabe explained that they make a point not to profile potential shoplifters. I can see why a lot of people are now doing a large portion of their shopping on the net.

Sounds more like you became a statistic showing how they don't profile. The "Do I look like a thief" line is funny to me. I've never been shown a picture of the typical thief, rather I seen lots of pictures of lots of thieves.

wacocowboy":g7t6kljm said:
TexasBred":g7t6kljm said:
Down here it seems like there is a Dollar General just about everywehre there is a highway intersection and a Family Dollar across the street. But they draw from a lot of countryside that doesn't have any kind of store for miles and miles so I guess they sell enough to keep the doors open.

Yeah I noticed that. Wide spots in the road like Kosse and Riesel got them now lol. I am just waiting for one in Otto.
Waco I hadn't even thought about Kosse in years. Guess it's still booming. lolol

TexasBred":aqy2ziwi said:
wacocowboy":aqy2ziwi said:
TexasBred":aqy2ziwi said:

Waco I hadn't even thought about Kosse in years. Guess it's still booming. lolol

Yep up and coming I think that is a Family Dollar. Got a couple of good little restaurants only reason I go.

Latest posts