Sam Hill

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
How many have heard the term, "What/why/where/etc. the Sam Hill"?
I go to thinking about that this morning, seems like I haven;t heard it in years. Looked it up in a couple of places. Turns out it's a euphemism for devil or he-double-L. Wonder if Macon could chnage it on here from being "Be Nice" to "Sam Hill"

dun":3rjnkx45 said:
How many have heard the term, "What/why/where/etc. the Sam Hill"?
I go to thinking about that this morning, seems like I haven;t heard it in years. Looked it uhttp://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/inde ... aplasmosis in a couple of places. Turns out it's a euphemism for devil or he-double-L. Wonder if Macon could chnage it on here from being "Be Nice" to "Sam Hill"
:nod:

My Grandfather used to say "What in the sam hill" when he would see something peculiar or odd. He avoided using cuss words so phrases like this were common with him. He was a farmer in SE Missouri.

Goodlife":3l0dd6ji said:
My Grandfather used to say "What in the sam hill" when he would see something peculiar or odd. He avoided using cuss words so phrases like this were common with him. He was a farmer in SE Missouri.

Ever hear him say, "Holy snapping chalk lines!". That's one I haven't heard in a long time but used to hear it from someone similar to your grandfather. Fella I knew had some unique lines and can't say I ever heard him say a curse word.

Ryder":vd2b8vuc said:
Preacher friend of mine would say "Oh Foot" in moments of exasperation. I understood what he meant,but don't know how he came up with that particular expression.

I heard that one a lot at a certain time of life. Late '50's, early '60's. It seemed to fade away.

Always heard it as " sam he77" and always wondered where it came from. Who is sam? Brother of peter?

Ever hear him say, "Holy snapping chalk lines!". That's one I haven't heard in a long time but used to hear it from someone similar to your grandfather. Fella I knew had some unique lines and can't say I ever heard him say a curse word.[/quote]

Must say I never heard that one. He used the word "tar" a lot. Such as "you better be careful boy, that cow will kick the tar outta you".

Goodlife":31saw5nb said:
Must say I never heard that one. He used the word "tar" a lot. Such as "you better be careful boy, that cow will kick the tar outta you".

If you have ever changed the diaper of a day old baby, you know where that one comes from. :shock:

My uncle, a dairy farmer didn't cuss, so his was "won't/doesn't that just frost you".

Good memories,

Alan

One I assume most of you have heard that my family uses all the time is "doggone". Pretty easy to see what cuss word it replace since it was typically associated with "it". Such as when my grandfather woould hurt his hand he would say "doggone it!" Or he might combine it so that when he had a difficult milk cow he would say "that doggone cotton picking stubborn thing!"

Agreed Alan, this thread is bringing back great memories of my Grandpa.

Good one Tex. Yes, tarnation is still used regularly in SE MO. Anyone know where that one came from? What is "tarnation" anyway?

Goodlife":16bejjw0 said:
Good one Tex. Yes, tarnation is still used regularly in SE MO. Anyone know where that one came from? What is "tarnation" anyway?
hope this helps GL....Tarnation and darnation (the latter probably having come first) are both euphemistic forms of damnation. Tarnation seems to have been influenced by tarnal, another mild oath derived from (e)ternal! The Oxford English Dictionary cites late-18th-century examples of tarnation from New England, indicating that it has been part of American speech since colonial days.
It's a trudication of " what in the entire nation?" Jus shows ya wut kin hapin to a langwidge over tym! ;)

My grandad didn't cuss, at least around me. Except one time he couldn't get the tractor stopped, and the gate was getting a LOT closer. Then he said S IT! Funny how I remember that. I was maybe 6 yr. But he said SH T! with some authority so I imagine he had a few more in his vocabulary.

I won't eliminate people who use cuss words from my life. But if I can work my way to the other end of the coctail party and get away from the "every other word is F..." guy (or gal) I will do that. I personally feel the need to cuss creatively and mostly to myself on occasion. Everyone does. A real spectacular disaster is "that would make a preacher cuss".

Latest posts