Salvage Pricing

Help Support CattleToday:

StarrGin

Reaction score
I had a bit of bad luck. My tractor caught fire trying to control a grass fire and burned.
I'm currently looking at options to replace it. I would like to clean up my yard and possible get a little cash to ease the purchase. Any suggestions on how I should price the equipment to salvage dealers is appreciated.

MF298 - Burned engine pretty badly.
Bushhog 2048 loader. Appears to have survived the fire.
Two 23.1-26 tires on 20" rims, tires have good tread.
One remaining 10.00-16 tire
Tractor has roll bar and cover.

I also have a few other old tractors on my yard. Keeping them running is an on going challenge, so I'm considering selling them and move on to other equipment in the future.

MF165
Tractor was running 2yrs ago, but haven't cranked it since. Wide front end. It needs a rear tire. Other rear tire has some tread.

MF165
The motor needs to be rebuilt on this one. Wide front end. It was running 7 yrs ago but would not hold oil. Some minor parts and hoses were scrounged to keep the other 165 running. Rear tires have tread but are mismatched.

International Harvester 565 - I'm not positive on the model as there are no real identifying marks left. This tractor was running 5yrs ago, but haven't run it since. Tires hold air but are pretty worn. There is a loader for the tractor, but it is not currently mounted.

All tractors would likely considered poor condition.

I also have a 5 ton fertilizer/lime spreader (Chandler equipment, 20 yrs old). The truck (Chevy) is junk, but the spreader body and chain are stainless.

I've had a few people express an interest, but all want me to put a value on the equipment.

Any advice is appreciated.

Anything that is not running/driving and usable is worth its weight in scrap usually. Buy based on weight so that when you get it home and find all the things that are really wrong with it you can always scrap it and break even.

As far as the 165's, one with a loader (you will never see one more abused than that one - no hood/leaks everywhere/all wiring burnt/no proper starting system/welded and torn loader/worn out tires),sold for $3600 at auction. A less abused, but didn't run, 165, with a burnt out clutch and no oil in it, (no loader) sold for around $2500.

I would guess the 298, as it sits, should be worth at least 4k.

Never underestimate the number of people looking for obsolete parts or fixer-uppers.

Don't know where you are but I had a Ford 3000 diesel SOS that I twisted the input shaft on the transmission and burned up the torque limiter. No shafts available either used, after market or new from Ford. Sold the tractor at a salvage place in Oklahoma and it brought $1800. I was pleasantly surprised.