Salt

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy K

Reaction score
Howdy All! I was wondering what kind of salt everyone uses, loose salt? or salt blocks and if blocks what kind? Sulfer, White, Colbalt or Iodized.

Thank you much

Complete, balanced loose mineral - formulated for my area.
Mineral nutrition needs are LOCAL! One size does not fit all.

Loose mineral. Purina wind and rain or Ona station mineral(formulated for florida)

Lazy K":1ytoysli said:
Howdy All! I was wondering what kind of salt everyone uses, loose salt? or salt blocks and if blocks what kind? Sulfer, White, Colbalt or Iodized.

Thank you much

Loose stock salt.

J&D Cattle":mkx5uvd0 said:
Lucky_P":mkx5uvd0 said:
Complete, balanced loose mineral - formulated for my area.
Mineral nutrition needs are LOCAL! One size does not fit all.

X2

Not all companies make "area specific" minerals. As a matter of fact, few companies do, not even the nationwide companies.

I always have out free choice mineral year round, and put out loose salt as well.. I was just curious what other people used. I have heard sulfer salt blocks keep pinkeye away and the iodized salt is for hoof rot. Never did know for sure.

I use loose mineral and the Edde iodized blocks and yes it is specifically for footrot. Those Edde blocks really work for us!

I usually have some cobalt (which contain iodine) blocks out, and supplement with loose salt and mineral mix... Our area is particularly low in Phosphorus, and everyone thinks I typed the ratio wrong when I say 6% Ca, 12% Phosphorus... we also need a lot of copper (2500mg/kg) and selenium (125mg/kg) around here, your area will be different... the best thing to do is feed the local type out to your cows for a year, and then before the breeding season get a blood sample tested, preferably from one of the heavier milking cows, and that should give you a good idea if you have any problems