salt

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I use trace mineral salt blocks, but I was told it would be better to use the loose grandular type. I've seen this kind used in hanging barrels. Which is best to use and what is the different benefits for each?

[email protected]

The only advantage to loose vs block is that they can get enough of the loose stuff to meet their needs. With a block it's very hard for them to get enough minerals. Block is more convenient, but if it doesn't do the job convenience is pretty useless.

dun

> I use trace mineral salt blocks,
> but I was told it would be better
> to use the loose grandular type.
> I've seen this kind used in
> hanging barrels. Which is best to
> use and what is the different
> benefits for each?

I agree, they need it loose. We use both, but loose is best. Of course the best way to feed is in a trough that's under a lean-to or in a shed.

If you want to put more salt or mineral out, there are a thousand ways. Here's one that's cheap and easy-to-make. Get some of those plastic drums that are about 55 gallons, with the lids. Use a chainsaw to cut a wedge-shaped hole in the side, just wide enough for a cow to access. Cut it so that after the drum is stood up the bottom of the hole will be level and the top will angle upward. Stand the drum on end, throw in a sack of redi-mix and some water and stir it up. Place it so that the hole is away from the wind when it rains. It wont blow over and they won't tear it up.

Craig-TX

> I agree, they need it loose. We
> use both, but loose is best. Of
> course the best way to feed is in
> a trough that's under a lean-to or
> in a shed.

> If you want to put more salt or
> mineral out, there are a thousand
> ways. Here's one that's cheap and
> easy-to-make. Get some of those
> plastic drums that are about 55
> gallons, with the lids. Use a
> chainsaw to cut a wedge-shaped
> hole in the side, just wide enough
> for a cow to access. Cut it so
> that after the drum is stood up
> the bottom of the hole will be
> level and the top will angle
> upward. Stand the drum on end,
> throw in a sack of redi-mix and
> some water and stir it up. Place
> it so that the hole is away from
> the wind when it rains. It wont
> blow over and they won't tear it
> up.

> Craig-TX

Very clever. I learn a lot reading this board.

[email protected]

We hang those barrels in trees. They work well except the young bulls think they are punching bags.

We do the same. Calves learn that it's really fun to butt it and make it bang when a cow has her head in it getting some mineral. The little turds will line up to get a chance to make a cow jump.

dun

> We hang those barrels in trees.
> They work well except the young
> bulls think they are punching
> bags.

We just use the plain white stuff from the feedstore.

dun

> Is there a preferred brand or type
> of loose salt?

> Is there a preferred brand or type
> of loose salt? We don't feed our cows any type of mineral so we use what is called trace mineral salt-a brown salt with very small amounts of different minerals in the block itself. TSR

[email protected]

Latest posts