Salt water in a jug

Help Support CattleToday:

dogman11

Reaction score
Had a fella tell me yesterday that they use empty milk jugs with a screw on lid. Fill the jug about half full (maybe a little less because you want the jug to float) and then pour in a cup or so of salt. Said it keeps an area about 3 inches around the outside of the jug ice free. Said that the cows go and drink because they think the jugs are salt blocks. Idk if this will work or not, but I'm definitely gonna try it. If they work, I may try and rig up something with 5 or so jugs attached and spaced out evenly to see if that keeps a lot of the tank unfrozen. Gimme some feedback if anyone's heard or tried this...

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

A friend posted a video of that on my Facebook timeline. Definitely won't keep a large stock tank from freezing but looked intriguing. Curious as well to see if others have tried it & if it works.

I'm going out on a limb, and saying it won't work. An inner tube partially filled with water, and some air will keep one from freezing down to some point (not sure how cold). I guess it moves around in the breeze?

TCRanch":xeg98ily said:
A friend posted a video of that on my Facebook timeline. Definitely won't keep a large stock tank from freezing but looked intriguing. Curious as well to see if others have tried it & if it works.
I saw it on FB. It's not supposed to keep the whole tank from freezing. I think it's to keep some open holes in it.

I can see it helping to keep an open spot, down to maybe 25F or so, but no chance in hades it'll do any good at 0F or below

Nesikep":2sz5nm2k said:
I can see it helping to keep an open spot, down to maybe 25F or so, but no chance in hades it'll do any good at 0F or below

We get nights, and some days, in the teens and a few nights in the single digits. Most cold nights its in the mid 20's. I may give it a try. I have nothing to lose. ;-)

Workinonit Farm":hqwoj6be said:
Nesikep":hqwoj6be said:

We get nights, and some days, in the teens and a few nights in the single digits. Most cold nights its in the mid 20's. I may give it a try. I have nothing to lose. ;-)

Kind of what I was thinking...nothing to lose and it's cheap.