Salt tolerance

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I over seeded Big Boss rye grass seed last week. I run a light disc with a chain drag over after planting. I'm only a couple miles from the Mississippi Sound. We had Hurricane Nate to deal with over the weekend which put tide water over some of the pasture. It rained and help beat seed in the ground but the tide slowly rose enough to cover some of the pasture then receded with a few hours. I can still see some seed on the ground in places so it didn't wash it all away. My question is: How salt tolerant is rye grass seed? Do you think it will come up? I'm depending on it for winter grazing.

Jogeephus":xqc4v4ey said:
I think it will be fine but that's just a hunch.
As you can see, It didn't come up. Even burned up the bahia. I've had tide water over this field several times and never seen it do this. But never this late in year plus I did fertilize heavy ahead of the weather. Oh well, saltwater and fertilizer is no good on ryegrass seed and bahai grass . I reseeded today. Supposed to get rain tomorrow.

I think it's Australia that has a lot of salt contamination of livestock feed reserves. Don't remember the the article, source or what other than it was a video, but it does kill vegetation. I always put my salt blocks under cover to prevent soil contamination. However, never had such that I could positively identify as salt caused.

I don't know if it lingers or can be flushed out by the rains. Don't know plant's capacity for absorbing it.

zirlottkim":32zry1ls said:
Jogeephus":32zry1ls said:
I think it will be fine but that's just a hunch.
As you can see, It didn't come up. Even burned up the bahia. I've had tide water over this field several times and never seen it do this. But never this late in year plus I did fertilize heavy ahead of the weather. Oh well, saltwater and fertilizer is no good on ryegrass seed and bahai grass . I reseeded today. Supposed to get rain tomorrow.

That sucks. Nice to know though. Sorry it was at your expense but thanks for sharing.

Latest posts