Salt or no Salt

Help Support CattleToday:

I think salt enhances the flavor of melons, but if its a good melon I don't care either way. I was deprived of adding salt growing up. Wasn't a salt shaker in the house. I was born with a heart defect, and doctor told my mom to cut salt. Because I didn't know what I was missing, early adulthood away from home was an interesting experience when it came to eating. I still went many years never using salt for anything, but the past few years I get a craving for it. So much so, that I've got to have it. Mostly in hot weather, and watermelon is on my list of heat buster snacks, as is tomato, raw squash and cukes, celery and all manner of berries and tree fruit. I like a bit of salt on them all. Give me a salt shaker and I could graze in the garden every evening.

I prefer salt, but if somebody serves watermelon and there's no salt shaker around I can get over it. And have had a few watermelons that were so perfectly ripe and sweet they didn't need it.

Prefer salt on canteloupe, but not honeydew.

MO_cows":13hw67ed said:
I prefer salt, but if somebody serves watermelon and there's no salt shaker around I can get over it. And have had a few watermelons that were so perfectly ripe and sweet they didn't need it.

Prefer salt on canteloupe, but not honeydew.

I prefer prosciutto on honeydew. Now that's a flavor.

3waycross":2n0b8alf said:
I prefer prosciutto on honeydew. Now that's a flavor.

I don't know about prosciutto on honeydew, but prosciutto with a dab of cream cheese or a slice of swiss and some chcken....mmmmmmm. Even by itself its good! But very pricey!

Katherine

No salt for me on watermelon and ice cold. I have read that they are better for you if you do not eat them cold.

I have never heard of salting any fruit besides a tomato :hide:

I am going to try it just to try it , but I love watermelon and I like it really cold .

If your going to try salt keep it light. Salt on melons, salt on apples and salt on RADISHES! And sliced raw turnips. :D

No salt on anything except popcorn.

Pepper goes on fried eggs. Tabasco, salsa, or ketchup on scrambled eggs or omellette.

Anyone who retains fluid like I do should avoid salt as much as possible. :roll:

hillsdown":9uzkjqqo said:
I have never heard of salting any fruit besides a tomato :hide:

I am going to try it just to try it , but I love watermelon and I like it really cold .

Same here. I was going to label it as southern tradition, but then Lazy A chirped up and now I am thinking there must be something wrong with us up here.

Coincidentally, cut into a good watermelon tonight after a hot and humid day, and thought I might try salting it. Your not missing out on anything HD, other than higher blood-pressure.

The only thing I salt are snow peas and some other steamed leafy greens.. I eat very little salt, but some things just have to have a fresh sprinkle of it... Pepperoni pizzas are good, but I die of thirst afterwards

Williamsv":2ty3zaq8 said:
I have read that they are better for you if you do not eat them cold.

Is that for row planted, hill planted, broadcast seeded, trellised, sustainably grown, organically grown, heirloom, GMO, seedless, seeded, square or hydroponically raised melons? ;-)

Jogeephus":35l685qu said:
Williamsv":35l685qu said:
I have read that they are better for you if you do not eat them cold.

Is that for row planted, hill planted, broadcast seeded, trellised, sustainably grown, organically grown, heirloom, GMO, seedless, seeded, square or hydroponically raised melons? ;-)
Purchased or stolen ?? :mrgreen: