salt licks

Help Support CattleToday:

Salt licks are virtually useless

I would recomend a loose mineral supplement that had Vit.A & D Copper at what ever level you are looking for, and any other desired trace minerals, indicated on the label as ppm, parts per million in international units. A loose mineral is the only safe way to ensure the animal is consuming the quantity needed by the animal, licks take too long and the animal does not get the required amount of the mineral needed to do any good, you can use any of several

Vigortone, Moormans, Co-Op brand, or any feed store brand of loose mineral.

[email protected]

I use a salt lick for my heifer and loose salt/minerals for my goat. The heifer LOVES the loose minerals and would instantly eat up anything I put out for her if she could get her hands (tongue) in it. Right now I use it to coax her to come home from the pasture GENTLY. Is there a limit to how much they should consume?

[email protected]

> I use a salt lick for my heifer
> and loose salt/minerals for my
> goat. The heifer LOVES the loose
> minerals and would instantly eat
> up anything I put out for her if
> she could get her hands (tongue)
> in it. Right now I use it to coax
> her to come home from the pasture
> GENTLY. Is there a limit to how
> much they should consume?

If your heifer is eating a lot of the mineral that usually means her body needs one or more of the minerals that she hasn't been able to get. Once her body gets enough she will slow down her consumpson. Minerial are usually regulated by the salt content. They should be fed free choice all the time.

[email protected]