salt etc.

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I just saw at my tractor supply store they have sulfa salt, brine salt, and cobalt salt blocks, along with the usual iodized, trace and white. Then in bags there is your usuals and trace with EDDI added, and evaporated salt. WOW!!! Can anyone explain these to me, and which should I offer to my cows?

I use TSC's 6% and sometimes the 12% mineral bags. We seem to need more Ca than a trace salt will give. I also need the Selenium. When I use the 12% (1:1 Ca:p) I add some Selenium 90 which has high Se and Ca levels. Since I switched to the 6% and 12% I have gotten rid of a lot of troubles (retained placentas/prolapse Utererus/healthier calves at birth/etc.).

Congratulations! I'm alwasy pleased when people take the time and effort to determine what is needed in their particular environemtn. This also goes to show just how important minerals are to the overall health and for that matter profitability of a given farm.

dun

nrs farm":2c43zlhq said:
I use TSC's 6% and sometimes the 12% mineral bags. We seem to need more Ca than a trace salt will give. I also need the Selenium. When I use the 12% (1:1 Ca:p) I add some Selenium 90 which has high Se and Ca levels. Since I switched to the 6% and 12% I have gotten rid of a lot of troubles (retained placentas/prolapse Utererus/healthier calves at birth/etc.).

8) I have a small cow/calf ( 30 head ) operation in S.W. Arkansas and I've found that keeping fine white salt & straight mineral available works best for me.
By offering both, the cows use what mineral they need but if they just want salt then they don't have to consume the mineral. The mineral may set there for weeks and then it's gone in a matter of days.

Latest posts