salt block verses loose salt

Help Support CattleToday:

Mahoney Farms

Reaction score
Which is better? What attracts cattle to the loose salt? Do you ever put minerals in with grain when feeding? Does a bloat block really work?

I have monitored loose mineral and salt for 6 months now and I have seen one cow lick the loose salt and the rest try to scratch themselves on the container......any comments.....jmd :cboy:

I wouldnt worry about them.with the minerals as long as you keep plenty and free choice they will eat them ive seen mine go for days without consuming any. then you check one day its empty. yes bloat blocks work but with timing make sure they are on it a few days before turn out.

I've been told they will only eat it when they need it. Didn't mean to rhyme there. So maybe they are doing ok in that category? I think we sometimes find ourselves looking for something the be wrong when theirs probably not. But then again it doesn't hurt to ask and nobodies out anything either.

I'm sure somebody will tell you better what you want to know.

I've recently been taught different about the "eat it when they need it" theory. More correctly (as I've been told) they crave salt only, and salt content is a good way to increase or decrease the amount of mineral intake in the herd. Also moving it farther away or closer to water regulates intake. I feed high quality mineral with salt already in it. Blocks were just giving them a bunch of salt with very little mineral.

I can tell you those blocks are for the farmer - too lazy to take the mineral out and put it in a mineral feeder. The cows can not get enough salt or mineral by licking those things to satisfy their needs- they just get tired and go away. Buy mineral in a bag - better yet is buy with no salt and add the salt yourself - even cheaper.

Agree....TM salt blocks are a waste of time for the cattle and money for the farmer IMO.

We use different minerals for different parts of the year around here, brood mix (with monesin) from October till march, hi-mag from March till middle of May, then a fly/pink eye mix through the summer.

They are all costing approx 16.00 per 50 lb bag.

A bag of standard range minerals can be had from 7.00 at TSC to about 12.00 in other places depending on the mix.......which most containing approx. 18-22% salt.

Some of the very best money you can INVEST in cattle. Sure helps keep them slick and in better condition, esp. for reproduction.........proven!

Oddly though...................I just changed out from the summer mix to the brood mix 3 days ago, and this evening it was 100% GONE! Usually lasts 3-4 weeks........musta been good stuff! :cboy:

Here's my opinion on Trace mineral Blocks...They are one of the biggest waste of money any Cattleman can buy.They are nothing but Dyed salt blocks, and as the name says, "Trace" they have micro amounts of minerals in them, not enough to do anything any good.I have not used blocks since I can remember. Get a HIGH QUALITY loose mineral, suited for your area. Cattle will consume more in the beginning, and taper off consumption as they get used to it, or needs are met.A loose Mineral is also easier on a cow's mouth.

i mix mineral with the TMR and leave a block out just because if there is one they lick it one last forever but if they want to lick it they can if they dont not a big deal cost 3 dollars a piece waste more than that on icecream for me

Thanks for your opinions....I agree...I should of added that I do replenish the loose mineral and salt often. I provide the minerals and salt by the feeders, about 25 feet from water...should I move them over closer to the water...thanks jmd :cboy:

Mahoney Farms":2uo2ytn4 said:
Thanks for your opinions....I agree...I should of added that I do replenish the loose mineral and salt often. I provide the minerals and salt by the feeders, about 25 feet from water...should I move them over closer to the water...thanks jmd :cboy:
My mineral feeders are no where near water. I dont think it makes that big a difference.25 ft. is'nt anything to cattle. Our's get their minerals and dont always head to water.

Mahoney Farms":xmex3bui said:

I've always heard if you think they may be consuming too much move your minerals further away from their watering source. I always hang my barrels near their favorite gathering places along w/a backrub. However, our's never have to travel very far for water regardless of pasture location. You should consider 25 feet to be at their water.

fitz

D.R. Cattle":1fw014j8 said:
I've recently been taught different about the "eat it when they need it" theory. More correctly (as I've been told) they crave salt only, and salt content is a good way to increase or decrease the amount of mineral intake in the herd. Also moving it farther away or closer to water regulates intake. I feed high quality mineral with salt already in it. Blocks were just giving them a bunch of salt with very little mineral.
DR i have heard the same thing about the craving salt only i put a plain white salt block out this year just to see they wore that sucker out in no time,no dought they prefer it for the salt only.

We've alwasy used loose minerals without salt and white salt blocks. Depending on the grass situation, sometimes they'll clean up the minerals in a week other times 2-3 weeks, but that salt last about a month no matter what else they're getting.

dun

ALACOWMAN":3u2772i6 said:
D.R. Cattle":3u2772i6 said:
DR i have heard the same thing about the craving salt only i put a plain white salt block out this year just to see they wore that sucker out in no time,no dought they prefer it for the salt only.

I could be wrong; but I always understood that here in Alabama salt was the number one mineral requirement unless you are grazing really low phosphorous pastures.

http://www.mycattle.com/health/updates/winterminsup.cfm

Latest posts