salt block for calf???

Help Support CattleToday:

kckattle

Reaction score
Just wondering if I should put out a salt block for my calf? She will be 4 weeks this Friday and she takes the normal two bottles of fine milk replacer a day, I have coastal hay avail for her at free choice and we feed her about 1/2 cup or more of calf starter each day. She is also drinking water from a bucket on her own all day... I live in Florida and it is hot here, her drinking so much water from the bucket has my calf peeing all day. Or it least it seems like she pees ALOT!

So what is the recomendation on salt bocks and what kind?

My calf is by her self in her own pen, in a few months I will be moving here to a new location I hope with a few friends. But she is alone for now, with lots of company to visit her daily.

Blocks, Loose, whatever, just make sure its a mineral block and not merely salt. Read the ingredients and % as well not all blocks or bagged minerals are created equal.

Loose mineral vs black like everyone else recommended. But you need to jack up the grain intake. In another month she should be eating minimum of 2 pounds a day of grain, more is better.

If you are feeding this animal just throw a Hi Boot block out there and it will lick as required. Your feed outfit will know what I mean - it is a trace mineral and salt block - or do nothing as it is not truly necessary yet.

Two bottles seems a little on the short side for replacer - the calf raising ladies here tend to feed almost twice that amount.

As do we with our latest twin - a bit more than two gallons (not bottles) - and the same age as yours - a day now - unless she steals a meal. Then she eats nothing.

She is a refugee that was beat into the ground by mom - she likes the boy better. The girls call her Honey but the adults on this place call her Freezer.

Another frigging twin to feed - and a heifer to a bull to boot - waste of skin.

And yes, she runs with the cows in the pasture. Why bother penning her - maybe she can steal a meal once in a while.

Not likely your animal will really be too interested in salt and mineral for some time - so in my personal opinion - at this age it is a waste of time and money. Put it out there if it makes you feel better and sooner or later it will get around to doing the lick trick.

I think you had better up her milk replacer.

Bez>

dun":8vjk3wvv said:
Loose mineral vs black like everyone else recommended. But you need to jack up the grain intake. In another month she should be eating minimum of 2 pounds a day of grain, more is better.

Indeed! Like Dun said!

The milk replacer amount is fine (if those are 4 pint bottles)...the grain needs to be more.

Oh, her drinking so much water and peeing so much...thank your lucky stars!

Alice

Alice":2b2falz4 said:
dun":2b2falz4 said:

Indeed! Like Dun said!

The milk replacer amount is fine (if those are 4 pint bottles)...the grain needs to be more.

Alice

One gallon a day?

Ok - still seems light to me - but then again what the he ll do I know about bottle babies.

Regards

Bez>

Bez>":21s4ru7h said:
Alice":21s4ru7h said:
dun":21s4ru7h said:

Indeed! Like Dun said!

Alice

One gallon a day?

Ok - still seems light to me - but then again what the he ll do I know about bottle babies.

Regards

Bez>

Yeah, Bez...if you're raising baby calves, one gallon a day. However, ya' gotta go on instinct...and that instinct comes from raising a whole lot at one time (80 for me, and it about did me in). One size doesn't fit all.

This calf is 4 weeks old...it's doing well...it's on a bottle...and it's eating grain and hay. Depends on what the owner wants to do...how much time, energy, and money the owner wants to put into it.

Personally, I'd do what it took to make it one he11 of an animal...but that's just me...and that's my 2 cents. :)

Regards,

Alice

Alice":c1j5e7gt said:
Bez>":c1j5e7gt said:
Alice":c1j5e7gt said:
dun":c1j5e7gt said:

Indeed! Like Dun said!

Alice

One gallon a day?

Regards

Bez>

Yeah, Bez...if you're raising baby calves, one gallon a day. However, ya' gotta go on instinct...and that instinct comes from raising a whole lot at one time (80 for me, and it about did me in). One size doesn't fit all.

This calf is 4 weeks old...it's doing well...it's on a bottle...and it's eating grain and hay. Depends on what the owner wants to do...how much time, energy, and money the owner wants to put into it.

Personally, I'd do what it took to make it one he11 of an animal...but that's just me...and that's my 2 cents. :)

Regards,

Alice

Which is why I leave them roam with the cows.

Can't even give this little POS away - no one wants it.

Turned down another 100 acres of free hay today - we are swamped. Seems my phone rings every day - come and bale it and it is yours.

Did about 100 acres of custom baling today - 5 five footers to the acre - long day.

Bez>

Bez>":377ad7gs said:
Can't even give this little POS away - no one wants it.

Bez>

If you didn't live halfway across the country, I'd take her in a heartbeat! I'd buy her off you, too, depending on what your price was. She might be twin to a bull, but she will still make a good to excellent feeder heifer. ;-)

THANKS everybody for all of your comments!!

My calf is doing good so far eating her 2 quarts of milk twice a day. However I think she would drink 5 or 6 gallons if I gave it her, she is a very good eater!

I went ahead and gave her more grain (free-roam, about 1 cup a day to see how she does) begining today. I will keep my eye on her to see her grain intake goes up! I think I may hold off on the mineral/salt for a few more months then until she gets moved out in to the pasture and we put more cow/calf in with her. Right now she is by her self and my husband and I are her mommy and daddy. She is quite funny, when I get home from work, I holler out to here over to her pen which is about 50 yards away "hey baby girl" and she always hollers back at me with mooooo maaaaaa LOL

You guys are great and I love your support!!!

Here are two pics of Ms. Chance I thought I would share.
cow1.JPG

cow9.JPG

Latest posts