Salsa Recipes

Help Support CattleToday:

1982vett

Reaction score
Found this one and tried it. So far I like it.
Instead of doing all that chopping, I cooked it and put it thru a food mill http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_mill.
Cilantro Warning: If you haven't had experience using it, be aware it can get pretty strong if you use to much.

SALSA II
146202.jpg

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Salsa-II/Detail.aspx

PREP TIME 30 Min
COOK TIME 20 Min
READY IN 50 Min
Original recipe yield 1.5 gallons

INGREDIENTS

6 pounds roma (plum) tomatoes
1/4 pound roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 red onion, chopped
1 white onion, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 pound jalapeno peppers, chopped
1/3 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped

DIRECTIONS

Bring a large saucepan of water to boil. Briefly place 6 pounds tomatoes into water to loosen skins and set color. Drain, peel and crush.
Mix chopped tomatoes, garlic powder, lemon juice, salt, cayenne pepper and cumin into the saucepan with crushed tomatoes. Whip to desired thickness. Bring to a boil. Mix in red onion, white onion, yellow onion, jalapeno peppers and cilantro. Continue boiling until vegetables are soft and mixture has reached desired consistency. Remove from heat. Refrigerate until serving.

SUBMITTED BY: KIKIWOOD PHOTO BY: A. Menant

"This is a very good salsa recipe. Simple ingredients are boiled and blended to created a flavorful, spicy mixture that's great with tortilla chips and on Mexican-style foods. The amounts of onions and jalapenos may be varied; canned crushed tomatoes may be substituted for fresh."

That sounds good and I'm going to try it but I do have a question. With 1.5 gallon yield what is a safe way to put it up. Can you freeze it as it is or do you need to can it?

I'm going to bet that 1 1/2 gallons is going to be a misprint. More like 1 1/2 quarts. I didn't weigh my tomatoes but those two bowls of tomatoes I had should have weight close to that much.

Probably a hot water bath like you would tomato juice.

I stuck a couple jars in the fridge and the rest went in ziplock containers into the freezer.

How much would it mess up if I were to use say, regular tomatoes and all yellow onions? It's what I have.

I really don't think you can mess it up. I use what is available, whatever peppers, onions maybe even a bit of celery, but do like the roma tomatoes the best. I make it fresh and usually have a bucket full of produce and just start chopping, add a bit of olive oil and the spices to taste. Let it set for a few hours, gives ya enough time to get the beer chilled and round up the corn chips and serve! There is a salsa spice packet you can get at the grocery store, usually in the produce section that is a really good blend that I have used.

1982vett":izen4n6r said:
I'm going to bet that 1 1/2 gallons is going to be a misprint. More like 1 1/2 quarts. I didn't weigh my tomatoes but those two bowls of tomatoes I had should have weight close to that much.

I made some last night for a little gathereing we are having today before public assembly is outlawed or will require a permit. Weighed each component and ended up with between 1-2 gallons. If there is a misprint I think it was in the part about using a full pound of jalepena peppers cause its quite spicey. :nod:

Exactly what is a 1/3 bunch of cilantro. I'm familiar with messes but bunches and the metric system I'm not.

Edit - Came to exactly a gallon.

Jogeephus":1j6l8hea said:
1982vett":1j6l8hea said:

I made some last night for a little gathereing we are having today before public assembly is outlawed or will require a permit. Weighed each component and ended up with between 1-2 gallons. If there is a misprint I think it was in the part about using a full pound of jalepena peppers cause its quite spicey. :nod:

Exactly what is a 1/3 bunch of cilantro. I'm familiar with messes but bunches and the metric system I'm not.

Edit - Came to exactly a gallon.

I guess my judgement of what 6 pounds of tomatoes needs adjustment. :oops:

What constitutes 1/3 bunch of cilantro is a really good question. It is the reason I noted to be careful using it. I used about 3 springs (about a tablespoon of chopped leaves) in my batch that made 2 quarts. That is about all that flavor I want.

Don't guess I knew what bed bugs smell like. I don't know that it "stinks" to me but you can certainly tell when someone has been working with it. I guess I have become a bit more accustomed to its aroma and flavor. But I still go easy with it when do use it and I don't use it very often.

Cilantro, You either like it or hate it. I am definitely on the hate side. Taste like soap to me. Won't need to know what a bunch is, cause there won't be any cilantro in anything I make.
vomit-smiley-007.gif

Cilantro and coriander aren't the same. Coriander is the seed (fruit) and cilantro is the leaves of the same plant.

The leaves have a very different taste from the seeds, with citrus-like overtones. Some people perceive an unpleasant "soapy" taste or a rank smell and avoid eating the leaves.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cilantro

I'm some people. I grew some in the garden and I could not pick it. Just picking it put a funky taste in my mouth that gasoline wouldn't wash out. Everyone else in the family doesn't have a problem with it. Guess that makes me special. :lol2:

Latest posts