Salmonella in Chicken Litter

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Just had a strange incident at work due to the use of chicken litter. Chicken litter was spread on some fields near where I had a crew working and over half the crew contracted Salmonella. One of the guys was hospitalized and another may have to be admitted as well. Its a pretty bad deal and these guys are as sick as dogs. Thing is we weren't even working in the fields where the litter was spread and the best I can figure is the field was dry and the trucks coming in the field threw up dust which contained the salmonella spores and this was ingested through breathing the dust. Never heard of this happening but I thought it worth mentioning to those who use chicken litter.

I could see it. We have all worked in dusty conditions and spit up saliva filled with particles of what is in the air.

I had a chest x-ray many years ago. Doctor ask if I had ever had Histoplasmosis. He said the lymph nodes around my lungs are calcified. Ask if I had ever handled bird litter. I said we had chickens and pigeons. He said I probably had it and didn't know.

1982vett":1lh4qb9o said:
Can't trace it back to a taco truck....? :)

:lol: :lol: No taco trucks here. They are pretty sure it was the dust because everyone who was working outside and exposed to the dust got sick. Also, everyone brings their lunch so it can't be linked to the food. Good thing is everyone is getting better.

I heard guy up here lost most of a calf group from it few years ago. Very few people I know of put it on pasture.

I've hauled and spread thousands of tons of litter and never heard of this happening, I don't know if an immunity to salmonella can be built up or not. I know I've breathed the dust and probably ingested it a time or two, maybe I'm just lucky but I'll start being a bit more careful after hearing this. Hope your crew get to feeling better and what where their symptoms?

WCBR1025":1krdjcw4 said:
I've hauled and spread thousands of tons of litter and never heard of this happening, I don't know if an immunity to salmonella can be built up or not. I know I've breathed the dust and probably ingested it a time or two, maybe I'm just lucky but I'll start being a bit more careful after hearing this. Hope your crew get to feeling better and what where their symptoms?

What probably really happened is Joe gave his crew a sample of his "Danger Will Robinson" jerky, they all got sick and he blamed on the chicken litter.

I had to have my stomach pumped after I ate the sample he sent me.

Bright Raven":fgyybjiu said:
WCBR1025":fgyybjiu said:

What probably really happened is Joe gave his crew a sample of his "Danger Will Robinson" jerky, they all got sick and he blamed on the chicken litter.

He was just trying to save humanity .

I had to have my stomach pumped after I ate the sample he sent me.[/quote]

I'll remember to stay away from any jerky when I'm in South Georgia ;)

WCBR1025":20t3iyd0 said:

I'll remember to stay away from any jerky when I'm in South Georgia ;)[/quote]

His jerky is so hot, the Devil has ruled it an illegal substance.

I recently saw my first application of litter around here and it was emulsified in a tank and went out in liquid form. Droplets were pretty large so I doubt that there was much drift.

50 years ago while in high school I spent two years working for a chicken hatchery. We cleaned the chicken houses by hand with a scoop shovel and a wheel barrow (that was my main job). No one ever got sick. Although when I walked home through the pastures you could see the grass growing behind me.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":wxzpsybs said:
Chicken manure is supposed to be one of the best fertilizers, but gives everyone something to think about!!!

It is good fertilizer and has a lot of micros in it and the price is sometimes right. Other than the stench, I've never known of anyone having trouble with it and I don't plan on not using it but this gave me something to consider when I do use it. I think this problem was the result of how dry its been and the the dust. I think it was the dust because everyone who wasn't in an enclosed cab got real sick and only one who was in a cab got a little sick. A perfect storm type thing.

WCBR1025":wxzpsybs said:

Thanks, they are doing better and should be working Monday. The symptoms were diarrhea and nausea but this didn't happen till the morning after the first day of working beside the spread litter so it must have taken about a day for it to get the best of them but that morning they started dropping like flies. Projectile vomiting and the scours along with a high fever. The oldest guy got it the worse and had to go to the hospital. Another guy was considering it but I told him to drink castor oil with orange juice and baking soda and he ended up kicking it. A third guy just got the squirts and felt bad and another just felt bad - of course this could have been opportunistic sympathy pains.

littletom":wxzpsybs said:
I heard guy up here lost most of a calf group from it few years ago. Very few people I know of put it on pasture.

I've put it on pastures with know problem but I've always kept the cattle off it till its rained in good and the stench subsides but that's good to know. I'd hate to lose any calves due to chicken litter and surely don't want to have to doctor any unnecessarily. Heck, its gotten so litter isn't that cheap anymore with more people using it.

Bright Raven":wxzpsybs said:

:lol: :lol: But you no longer have tapeworms do you? ;-)

If this year's pepper crop is successful then DWR will be downgraded to a mild jerky. :lol:

Ive hauled and spread thousands of tons also, undoubtedly it's not good for you , but never heard of this . Hope your guys get over it quickly .

Latest posts