Sales barn trip

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Had a sale barn trip nothing special bought 2 - 250lb heifer calves wanted a hog but the prices they sold for I didn't want to pay. The helper thought he was helping by letting the calves out that night when I wanted them to stay in the trailer overnight now they don't want any parts of me but they will come around. Just some pics of the sale barn trip nothing special.

ResizedImage_1414106684936_zps11f58552.jpg

ResizedImage_1414106648603_zps0955808a.jpg

ResizedImage_1414106649477_zps78406f2c.jpg

The one on the right had a really bad attitude and with those big horns definitely not welcomed at my place

ResizedImage_1414106649954_zps684f76fd.jpg

Had these evil things

ResizedImage_1414106650287_zpsb8c30766.jpg

This lil guy sold for 15 bucks I should have got it for the kids

ResizedImage_1414106650807_zpsdcd4e737.jpg

Some thin cows that needed some groceries came off older mans farm that couldn't care for them any longer

ResizedImage_1414106684082_zps8cabc1f7.jpg

These weighed around 150lbs and sold from 150-225... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

ResizedImage_1414106684570_zpsc967497d.jpg

ResizedImage_1414106685292_zps24b4d123.jpg

I dunno about the hogs, but They're pretty much giving that other stuff away compared to the prices here Sky.
Goat prices shocked the heck out of me earlier in the year--$130-$200 each.
My father bundled up a goat one day, chunked it in the back seat and gave it to my kids for a pet back in the mid 80s. Came close to causing a killing (mine) and a divorce, and the kids hated the stinkin dang thing. Jumped thru a screen window one day when kids were in school and wife and I were at work--ate up all the ornamentals inside the house and started on the cushions of the sofa.

Here, there be some $$ to be made on those thin ones, since you got so much extra hay anyway you ought to have bought them all. :nod: :nod:

I don't know where you'd have to go to buy or sell a hog here nowdays.

Philip SD used to advertise as "the largest hog auction in western SD", but haven't sold a hog for 30+ years.

Years ago I had hogs, and sold feeders, butchers, and weigh ups there.

looks like a nice day tobe at the sale.its been close to 15yrs since ive been to a sale.

greybeard":qrqjmxzq said:
I dunno about the hogs, but They're pretty much giving that other stuff away compared to the prices here Sky.
Goat prices shocked the heck out of me earlier in the year--$130-$200 each.
My father bundled up a goat one day, chunked it in the back seat and gave it to my kids for a pet back in the mid 80s. Came close to causing a killing (mine) and a divorce, and the kids hated the stinkin dang thing. Jumped thru a screen window one day when kids were in school and wife and I were at work--ate up all the ornamentals inside the house and started on the cushions of the sofa.

Here, there be some $$ to be made on those thin ones, since you got so much extra hay anyway you ought to have bought them all. :nod: :nod:

GB I am planning on buying some thin calves in November and maybe a thin cow or 2. I guess I was hoping that the prices may dip again before buying but I plan on buying a few nov dec and jan and feb a few a month.

AllForage":qrqjmxzq said:
Huh, taking pics is prohibited in our barns

They dont care here.

Yeh, I hear you talk about your salebarns, great to see some photos of the setups. We have more open air saleyards where the selling is done at the individual pens. The auctioneer operates from walkways above the pens and the buyers move along the laneways between the rows. At some of the better yards the buyers lanes have some roofing over them and there are some new big regional saleyards that are now under a big steel roof but the selling is just the same at the individual pens.
I'll have to get some photos and show you guys of our setup. Most of the saleyards are owned by local councils and a yard fee is charged on each animal. Multiple agents sell at the yards on the same day. Our local yard at Warwick will usually have about 6 different agents selling and operates weekly with an average yarding of about 1200- 1500 head. Big yards like at Roma will usually have 6-8000 go through and with big sell offs with the drought this year I think they broke the 10,000 mark a couple of times.
Ken

Williamsv":2g2j4m8s said:
Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

yw

wbvs58":2g2j4m8s said:
Yeh, I hear you talk about your salebarns, great to see some photos of the setups. We have more open air saleyards where the selling is done at the individual pens. The auctioneer operates from walkways above the pens and the buyers move along the laneways between the rows. At some of the better yards the buyers lanes have some roofing over them and there are some new big regional saleyards that are now under a big steel roof but the selling is just the same at the individual pens.
I'll have to get some photos and show you guys of our setup. Most of the saleyards are owned by local councils and a yard fee is charged on each animal. Multiple agents sell at the yards on the same day. Our local yard at Warwick will usually have about 6 different agents selling and operates weekly with an average yarding of about 1200- 1500 head. Big yards like at Roma will usually have 6-8000 go through and with big sell offs with the drought this year I think they broke the 10,000 mark a couple of times.
Ken

Nice I would love pics of yours as well.

Sky, thats Blackstone isn't it?
What did hogs bring that were ready to kill? We have a hard time just finding one here to buy. What did the small calves cost per lb?

wbvs58":1wrf4mu5 said:
Might be a while before I can get some pics myself but this link will hopefully show a photo that will give you an idea of how it is done.
http://www.farmonline.com.au/multimedia ... =10&page=1
Ken

Thanks very nice

kenny thomas":1wrf4mu5 said:
Sky, thats Blackstone isn't it?
What did hogs bring that were ready to kill? We have a hard time just finding one here to buy. What did the small calves cost per lb?

Kenny that's right it is blackstone. Hogs were right at a buck a lb some a lil more think a few were 1.30 a lb ... The calves were pretty cheap especially if they had a red hyde. I looked at my sheed and some Blk angus bull calves weighing 230 were 1.80lb one was 320lbs and went for 2.75 bwf weighing 270 went for 1.80 red angus bull calf 295lbs 1.60 lb Hereford bull calf 235lbs 1.65lb That's just a few a blk angus steer weighing 360 brought 3.07lb

It been a few years since I was at Blackstone for the sale but pass by there heading other places. If I could get a load of the small calves at that price I would consider it. Is the sale still small? What are the chances of getting a full load of small calves weighing 350 and less?

Latest posts