Salers Cholesterol

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I was told that Salers Cattle has "far less" cholesterol than other cattle breeds. Is this true? If so, how does this affect the taste of the beef? If it is true, where can I find any documentation or literature?

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

I think that claim comes from the fact that at one time marbling was thought to increase cholesterol. Today the experts say there is very little difference in the cholesterol in a steak from a Select or Choice carcass. As a producer, the Choice will bring you more money; consumers are shown to be more satisfied with a Choice steak. In addition, ongoing studies are beginning to show that the Adkins Diet (lots of animal fat) doesn't increase total cholesterol and actually lowers the bad cholesterol.

> I was told that Salers Cattle has
> "far less" cholesterol
> than other cattle breeds. Is this
> true? If so, how does this affect
> the taste of the beef? If it is
> true, where can I find any
> documentation or literature?

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

I agree with your comments but I've heard lots of comments specially from double muscle cattle breeders that claim their meat beign low in cholesterol

> I think that claim comes from the
> fact that at one time marbling was
> thought to increase cholesterol.
> Today the experts say there is
> very little difference in the
> cholesterol in a steak from a
> Select or Choice carcass. As a
> producer, the Choice will bring
> you more money; consumers are
> shown to be more satisfied with a
> Choice steak. In addition, ongoing
> studies are beginning to show that
> the Adkins Diet (lots of animal
> fat) doesn't increase total
> cholesterol and actually lowers
> the bad cholesterol.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

if Double muscle breeds don't marble and as I know they don't, it will be true that they have meat low in cholesterol, if cholesterol is related with meat fat.

> Again, that claim is related to
> the amount of marbling (fat)in the
> meat. Double muscled breeds don't
> marble very well, if at all.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Lack of marbling is why the packers discount double muscled breeds when they come into the packing plant. The USDA grading system is based on marbling, the more of it, the more valuable the meat. Prime has more marbling than Select and is worth a lot more money to the producer and to the packer than Select beef.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

I understand the American meat market, but we were talking about meat & cholesterol

> Lack of marbling is why the
> packers discount double muscled
> breeds when they come into the
> packing plant. The USDA grading
> system is based on marbling, the
> more of it, the more valuable the
> meat. Prime has more marbling than
> Select and is worth a lot more
> money to the producer and to the
> packer than Select beef.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

as I understand the leaner (less fat) the meat is, it will be lower in cholesterol.

> I was told that Salers Cattle has
> "far less" cholesterol
> than other cattle breeds. Is this
> true? If so, how does this affect
> the taste of the beef? If it is
> true, where can I find any
> documentation or literature?

[email protected]
 

Latest posts

Top