Saler cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We used to buy "open' heifers at the sale and put them with a Jersey bull for easy calving.Half the time, the heifers the sale barn called open, were pg already and we ended up pulling a lot of calves.Even the ones that got bred to the Jersey had calves that weren't real good. Then we bought Saler bulls and that ended that problem.Never had to pull any of those calves.We watched them but usually ended up going early to check the next morning after a late night check, and there would be a little baby.They hit the ground very small, but in four to five months, they outgreww our Limosin and Brangus calves.

smc[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Amen! Something else to add is that the Saler calves were probably a lot more active just after birth than the larger calves.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

You must have a different strain than we used in an AI crossbreeding program. We had large calves and some calving difficulty with them. The local feeders do not like them because they finish to large for the box beef trade.

pat
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Pat,

I would be curious to know which saler bull/bulls you bred to and what their EPD's for birthweight are and what the accuracy of the EPD's was. Obviously not all bulls in the Saler, or any breed, will throw 70 lb calves. As far as the finished animals being too big for the boxed beef trade, I would wonder about why the animals are being fed to the sizes that you are describing. I work at a boxed beef plant and we have had average hot carcass weights of over 1000 lb lately and have processed them without any problems. Most of the value added programs that I have researched want hanging weights of 650-1000 lb with a cross sectional ribeye area of 12-18 sq. in. I have not seen too many saler cattle that do not meet this requirement unless they have been in the feedlot for too long. Sorry that you had a bad experience. You might want to give them another try with some of the current top bulls.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Amen! Something else to add is
> that the Saler calves were
> probably a lot more active just
> after birth than the larger
> calves.

We are now into weaning and our Saler certainly outshine the Limosin and Brangus calves we have.Now our youngest cows are starting to calve again, and not one problem.You are right, the little things sure get going fast and start growing when they hit the ground.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

I have 40 GelbviehX Angus cross females and 1 Salers show heifer who is a grand champion female. I have pics of her if anyone would like to see her. At the present time I am using a salers bull on the Gelbvieh X Angus cross balancers. We are seeing weaning weights of 650-750 pounds off bermuda grass and cotton seed and soybean meal. They are really coming on. They are getting their growth from the Salers bull. Our average birth weights are about 65 pounds. The Gelbvieh by angus cross females are very docile as is the salers female and bull we have. All the females in our program have an abundant supply of milk and good beef conformation. The salers female I have weighed in at 1100 at 1 year of age. At the present time she is at 1450 she will be 2 in january and calve in january as well. The gelbvieh also seem to make the females mature quicker and breed back quicker as well. All in all I am very satisified and in fact swear by the balancers and salers. This three way cross seems to work very well. They work well in really hot weather which it gets hoooooooooot here in summer and work well in cold weather. It gets really coooooooooold here in winter. I can tell you this. This summer has been very hard to control flies. I went out 2 weeks ago and the cows had flies all over them. I want you to know that there was not a runny eye in the whole lot. That says alot about the toughness of these cattle. Again I swear by them and would not use anything else. I do plan however on eventually using these balancer females as donor cows and use the eggs and sperm from a salers bull to make me a registered salers herd.
 

farmer rich

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 19, 2005
Messages
293
Reaction score
3
Location
Staffordshire, England
Thanks for the post Mr Commecial Cattleman from TN, I missed it the second or third time (or was it the fifth).

So lets get this straight.
You have 40 GelbviehxAngus Cows right? and 1 grand champion female saler heifer? Your real happy with them and wouldn't use anything else,............exept you plan to use those cross cows as recipts for saler embryos?

Thanks for the info. just wanted to make sure I got it right.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

LoL Im not gonna stoop to the level of being a jackass like some people in here. Some people have a full time job other than farming and dont have a whole lot of time to type things out. Now i thought these forums were for voicing our opinions. If you dont like what I have to say then move on and keep your darn mouth shut. The next time you publicly attack me like that there will be a confrontation. I did not come on here to be attacked by low life scumbags like yourself that think they are farmers when they really dont even know the first thing about it. Oh yeah I forgot your damned limey yankee that doesnt really understand what farming is like here in america anyways. Now I have been nice but my patience is wearing thin. SO unless you want to feel my wrath then back off otherwise I will get downright mean and vengeful. Now you tell me you had some limousin cattle that were black. Did I comment on that. I could have said what I really thought and what most farmers around where I live think and that is limousins are pee poor. They are ornery and dangerous and they dont have good calving ease. Least not in the ones Ive seen and Ive seen lots of limousin show cattle that werent even worthy to eat. Ollie do you also have a problem with me? Unless you want to get lit up on here like the limey here you will back off as well. You guys need to act your age instead of like 12 year olds. DUHHHHHHHH he is the cut and paste man from tennessee. I would say something to that and respond but im gonna be the better man here and not bring your family into this. So have a nice day. Oh and by the way if anyone has a problem with me COME GET SOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

Crowderfarms

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 20, 2005
Messages
7,342
Reaction score
0
Location
Middle Tennessee
CommercialCattleManTN":2p1wts85 said:
LoL Im not gonna stoop to the level of being a jackass like some people in here. Some people have a full time job other than farming and dont have a whole lot of time to type things out. Now i thought these forums were for voicing our opinions. If you dont like what I have to say then move on and keep your darn mouth shut. The next time you publicly attack me like that there will be a confrontation. I did not come on here to be attacked by low life scumbags like yourself that think they are farmers when they really dont even know the first thing about it. Oh yeah I forgot your damned limey yankee that doesnt really understand what farming is like here in america anyways. Now I have been nice but my patience is wearing thin. SO unless you want to feel my wrath then back off otherwise I will get downright mean and vengeful. Now you tell me you had some limousin cattle that were black. Did I comment on that. I could have said what I really thought and what most farmers around where I live think and that is limousins are pee poor. They are ornery and dangerous and they dont have good calving ease. Least not in the ones Ive seen and Ive seen lots of limousin show cattle that werent even worthy to eat. Ollie do you also have a problem with me? Unless you want to get lit up on here like the limey here you will back off as well. You guys need to act your age instead of like 12 year olds. DUHHHHHHHH he is the cut and paste man from tennessee. I would say something to that and respond but im gonna be the better man here and not bring your family into this. So have a nice day. Oh and by the way if anyone has a problem with me COME GET SOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey, Bud, Cool it and settle down. Acting like this will sure as Hell get you no Friends and no Enemies either. It will get your Ass banned.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Why are these old posts coming back to life?

I see we have a new friend in town who thinks if one disagrees with him it is an attack. Great. I suppose we have to duke it out at high noon - or do we meet at dawn with single shot pistols?

Love the attitude.

Heeeeerrrrreeeeessss Johnny!!

Bez'
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Sorry,

He just came across all wrong. Seemed to me he was being a dufus. If im wrong then im wrong and Im sorry but there is no need to make fun of people on here.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

CommercialCattleManTN":1599a9sn said:
Sorry,

He just came across all wrong. Seemed to me he was being a dufus. If im wrong then im wrong and Im sorry but there is no need to make fun of people on here.

Yup - you were wrong - apology accepted - but then again I was not the person you directed it to - perhaps it might be better if you were explicit in that apology.

As for making fun - I have eaten it more than once - I am probably the biggest target on the board.

Just say it to those you directed it to - remember there is a need for a thick skin here at times.

Bez'
 

Crowderfarms

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 20, 2005
Messages
7,342
Reaction score
0
Location
Middle Tennessee
If I were you, I'd address my apologies to Ollie, and Farmer Rich.Best thing to do is never threaten anyone on here. Macon Gravlee, the "Head Honcho" will put you on the next Train out.Most of us get along with each other.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Farmer rich and ollie I am sorry for what I said lets all get along in the name of cattle I wasnt threatening anyone or didnt intend for it to sound that way. I will be nice if you will think before you speak next time. Next time instead of getting confrontational if you say anything that I deem to be offensive Ill just turn you in to the admin of the site.
 

la4angus

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
5,063
Reaction score
0
Location
South La
Crowderfarms":2yw44whz said:
If I were you, I'd address my apologies to Ollie, and Farmer Rich.Best thing to do is never threaten anyone on here. Macon Gravlee, the "Head Honcho" will put you on the next Train out.Most of us get along with each other.
That commercial cowman from tennessee must really think he's bad. Crowder, how many more you got like that. :lol:
 

Crowderfarms

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 20, 2005
Messages
7,342
Reaction score
0
Location
Middle Tennessee
la4angus":1gciwxlm said:
Crowderfarms":1gciwxlm said:
If I were you, I'd address my apologies to Ollie, and Farmer Rich.Best thing to do is never threaten anyone on here. Macon Gravlee, the "Head Honcho" will put you on the next Train out.Most of us get along with each other.
That commercial cowman from tennessee must really think he's bad. Crowder, how many more you got like that. :lol:
LA, Not too many.Most of em' are pretty Docile, and are scared of the Boogie Man. :lol:
 
OP
A

Anonymous

CommercialCattleManTN":38hjn2ue said:
Farmer rich and ollie I am sorry for what I said lets all get along in the name of cattle I wasnt threatening anyone or didnt intend for it to sound that way. I will be nice if you will think before you speak next time. Next time instead of getting confrontational if you say anything that I deem to be offensive Ill just turn you in to the admin of the site.

Sort of an off handed response - but probably the best we will get - personally I believe it would have been better to write this:

Farmer rich and ollie I am sorry for what I said lets all get along in the name of cattle

And then you should have stopped.

Bez'
 

Scotty

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 7, 2004
Messages
2,023
Reaction score
0
Location
West TX
CommercialCattleManTN":11j567m5 said:
LoL Im not gonna stoop to the level of being a jackass like some people in here. Some people have a full time job other than farming and dont have a whole lot of time to type things out. Now i thought these forums were for voicing our opinions. If you dont like what I have to say then move on and keep your darn mouth shut. The next time you publicly attack me like that there will be a confrontation. I did not come on here to be attacked by low life scumbags like yourself that think they are farmers when they really dont even know the first thing about it. Oh yeah I forgot your damned limey yankee that doesnt really understand what farming is like here in america anyways. Now I have been nice but my patience is wearing thin. SO unless you want to feel my wrath then back off otherwise I will get downright mean and vengeful. Now you tell me you had some limousin cattle that were black. Did I comment on that. I could have said what I really thought and what most farmers around where I live think and that is limousins are pee poor. They are ornery and dangerous and they dont have good calving ease. Least not in the ones Ive seen and Ive seen lots of limousin show cattle that werent even worthy to eat. Ollie do you also have a problem with me? Unless you want to get lit up on here like the limey here you will back off as well. You guys need to act your age instead of like 12 year olds. DUHHHHHHHH he is the cut and paste man from tennessee. I would say something to that and respond but im gonna be the better man here and not bring your family into this. So have a nice day. Oh and by the way if anyone has a problem with me COME GET SOME!!!!!!!!!!!!


Can't help myself. Sorry Macon. Just how big a boy are you?


Scotty
 

Latest posts

Top