Salebarn

Help Support CattleToday:

It's hard to make generalizations really work. Different areas have different demands. In the local market Hereford and eared cattle go for begging prices. 45 mol;es from here Herefords do ok but not great. Another 45 miles and Herefords will sell as well as anything else, eared cattle do well but yellow calves take a hit. That's the reason it's frequently suggested to bew folks that the visit the local sale barn and see what is in demand in their area. But that too depends on how they plan on marketing their animals.

As stated before I don't want to get into breed bragging forum but the ultimate market for the beef is through the merchandising of the final product. That said the Certified Angus Beef and the Hereford Beef program(i do not know its official name) are creating interest in the final product. And needless to say a portion of the criteria for the program is hide color. Therefore that does have some influence on the price of feeder cattle. Not as much as body structure (I Hope) but some influence anyway.

Jalopy":3a19g08j said:
As stated before I don't want to get into breed bragging forum but the ultimate market for the beef is through the merchandising of the final product. That said the Certified Angus Beef and the Hereford Beef program(i do not know its official name) are creating interest in the final product. And needless to say a portion of the criteria for the program is hide color. Therefore that does have some influence on the price of feeder cattle. Not as much as body structure (I Hope) but some influence anyway.

When I do the math, I'd lose money. Steers fetch more per pound, but they weigh significantly less. No one wants the heifers or cows. They are cheap. Some buy them and calve in the fall. 10 year old brindle will fetch way more than a 3 year old northern breed at the local sale barns.

Horn flies seem to like black cattle too. They are covered up already.

dun":3viagudg said:
It's hard to make generalizations really work. Different areas have different demands. In the local market Hereford and eared cattle go for begging prices. 45 mol;es from here Herefords do ok but not great. Another 45 miles and Herefords will sell as well as anything else, eared cattle do well but yellow calves take a hit. That's the reason it's frequently suggested to bew folks that the visit the local sale barn and see what is in demand in their area. But that too depends on how they plan on marketing their animals.
same here, you might see the same buyers at all three and different ones from further south hitting the upper end of the radius. or futher north hitting the lower end. so the span in a way, is alot wider.

ALACOWMAN":2d2nvxpz said:
dun":2d2nvxpz said:
same here, you might see the same buyers at all three and different ones from further south hitting the upper end of the radius. or futher north hitting the lower end. so the span in a way, is alot wider.

It is tempting to buy up things at the sale barns within 100 mile radius and haul them north. Buy the eared cattle there and haul them back.

okay my bad on the comment about black calves growing bigger. :oops: From what I had noticed is that they usually do end up putting on weight quicker before we take them to the sale barn then some of the other colors. And when you say "tan" what do you mean? The chocolate colored calves (colored like a mouse) dont do to well where i've been.

CattleHand":219gobni said:
okay my bad on the comment about black calves growing bigger. :oops: From what I had noticed is that they usually do end up putting on weight quicker before we take them to the sale barn then some of the other colors. And when you say "tan" what do you mean? The chocolate colored calves (colored like a mouse) dont do to well where i've been.
tan is reffering to charolais.

Back in the early 90's use to get a load a week of packer cows out of Florida....sell them here asap and advance the price as much as $200 a head....Just a different market on kill cows at that time.

It is all about perception and uniformity. Making cattle all black is one quick way to make them apear to be uniform. Chasing the premiums IF cattle grade well enough to enter the CAB program is another reason some producers have made their cattle black. The yellow calves show evidence of Charolais breeding and will grow fast and have good cut outs on yield grades.

Red cattle can perform just as well and the meat is all the same after the hide is removed, but the people feeding the cattle prefer black or yellow cattle due to perception and they are voting with their checkbook.

Not wanting to downplay any breed but the longhorn cattle typically do not have the same amount of muscle, they grow slower and do not convert as well in the feedyard. This makes the cost of feeding them higher so they are discounted to make up the difference.

Latest posts