Salebarn Report

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown":sops71de said:
My buddy sold 15 Balancer/Shorthorn blk calves 450#'s for 1.05, there was ONE blk roan in the group , and the sorry ba$tards cut him out and sold him for .80.

Why did they cut him out ........Did he have an actual noticeable @ss ,so they knew for sure he didn't have enough Blk Angus in him ????????? ;-) :lol:
:lol2:

Frankie":3fm3rmx7 said:
I see you haven't cleaned up your act; still trying to change the facts to fit your agenda, even if everyone else can see them. No. Here's what you originally said:

My buddy sold 15 Balancer/Shorthorn blk calves 450#'s for 1.05, there was ONE blk roan in the group , and the sorry ba$tards cut him out and sold him for .80.

Rule of Holes: If you're smart, when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

Well Frankie you finally impressed me with something you are known to be an expert on..................HOLES

3waycross":3criouli said:
Frankie":3criouli said:
I see you haven't cleaned up your act; still trying to change the facts to fit your agenda, even if everyone else can see them. No. Here's what you originally said:

Rule of Holes: If you're smart, when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

Well Frankie you finally impressed me with something you are known to be an expert on..................HOLES

:secret: I will just shut my mouth and tie my hands behind my back as I could totally go wayyyyyyy off topic.. :help: 8)

ga. prime":2e786zsf said:
Kinda reminds me of the time I had to pull over in the left breakdown lane on the downtown connector in Atlanta in a '58 chevy with a load of watermelons when the windshield wipers quit working.

I had a 58 chevy stepside. Wish I still had it. I never knew when the doors would fly open on turns and the truck would stall everytime I drove through a big puddle to fast. The window knob and door knobs fell off all the time too. Gas gauge didn't work. Gas tank was in the cab.

Walt

Caustic Burno":32iarbf2 said:
Went to the salebarn today some fine cows being dumped. One fellow was selling out thirty 4 to 6 year old Brangus bred 4 to 5 months to a Hereford bull. Bidding started at 550 with the top being 650 about half went to slaughter as there were no buyers. Everyone scared they won't have enough hay to carry them over the winter.

I took a beating Saturday on some 6 and 7 weights. All heifers. One was really nice. It was a good thing I didn't take more with me.

should have been buying.

3waycross":250bf3nr said:
I think he may have actually sold her but he still has other roan shorthorns that throw it once in a while. What he does not do is chase the fad when he knows he has good cattle that took him years to develop. BTW he didn't say nything he just shook his head and took it like he does every time the cattle buyers screw him.
Sir or mam I'm in no way taking Frankie's side or yours however, you need to understand a very important fact, no cattle buyer screwed your friend. Your friend screwed himself. Your friend should have no saled said animal and taken it home to be fed for later slaughter. After trying to get said calf sold to a kill buyer who buys thousands of cattle per week and knows good yeilding , high grading cattle when he or she sees them. Then maybe your friend will understand why certain cattle are discounted as calves. It sounds like your friend feels like he gets screwed regularly. There maybe an underlying reason for this feeling he gets after selling his calves.

There are so many people that think they have the best cattle in the world, when really they are ****. Kinda like children so many people want to think they got wonderfull, smart, sexy kids when really they got three eyed, gang bangin idiots, not smart enough to tie their own shoes. It is our nature to see the best of things in ourselves and the things that are ours, because of that we won't see them for what they really sometimes are.

I buy cattle all over this country from all different types of people. I don't believe I have ever screwed anyone but myself. I always pay what I believe cattle are worth. Sometimes later on I realize after feeding certain cattle for a period of time that maybe certain cattle are just not going to gain as good as others. Sometimes after cattle have grided out I realize that maybe these certain cattle may not grid as well as others. These are not necassarily always a result of breeds of cattle but sometimes just the manner in which these particular cattle had been crossbred on whatever the cause. I remember names more than breeds or colors. The same can be said for certain cattle that did better than I expected. I remember their names as well. But in the end I never am willing to pay more for cattle than I believe them to be worth. If I was selling cattle I never sell them for less than I believe them to be worth either. Nobody holds a gun to my head. My dicisions are mine. If I got screwed I did it to myself.

backhoeboogie":1j1cfsu7 said:
Caustic Burno":1j1cfsu7 said:
Went to the salebarn today some fine cows being dumped. One fellow was selling out thirty 4 to 6 year old Brangus bred 4 to 5 months to a Hereford bull. Bidding started at 550 with the top being 650 about half went to slaughter as there were no buyers. Everyone scared they won't have enough hay to carry them over the winter.

I took a beating Saturday on some 6 and 7 weights. All heifers. One was really nice. It was a good thing I didn't take more with me.

should have been buying.

Well tomorrow I am hauling some cull cows unless one or two more chap my butt in the pen.

options":2vyxec2d said:
3waycross":2vyxec2d said:
I think he may have actually sold her but he still has other roan shorthorns that throw it once in a while. What he does not do is chase the fad when he knows he has good cattle that took him years to develop. BTW he didn't say nything he just shook his head and took it like he does every time the cattle buyers screw him.
Sir or mam I'm in no way taking Frankie's side or yours however, you need to understand a very important fact, no cattle buyer screwed your friend. Your friend screwed himself. Your friend should have no saled said animal and taken it home to be fed for later slaughter. After trying to get said calf sold to a kill buyer who buys thousands of cattle per week and knows good yeilding , high grading cattle when he or she sees them. Then maybe your friend will understand why certain cattle are discounted as calves. It sounds like your friend feels like he gets screwed regularly. There maybe an underlying reason for this feeling he gets after selling his calves.

There are so many people that think they have the best cattle in the world, when really they are be nice. Kinda like children so many people want to think they got wonderfull, smart, sexy kids when really they got three eyed, gang bangin idiots, not smart enough to tie their own shoes. It is our nature to see the best of things in ourselves and the things that are ours, because of that we won't see them for what they really sometimes are.

I buy cattle all over this country from all different types of people. I don't believe I have ever screwed anyone but myself. I always pay what I believe cattle are worth. Sometimes later on I realize after feeding certain cattle for a period of time that maybe certain cattle are just not going to gain as good as others. Sometimes after cattle have grided out I realize that maybe these certain cattle may not grid as well as others. These are not necassarily always a result of breeds of cattle but sometimes just the manner in which these particular cattle had been crossbred on whatever the cause. I remember names more than breeds or colors. The same can be said for certain cattle that did better than I expected. I remember their names as well. But in the end I never am willing to pay more for cattle than I believe them to be worth. If I was selling cattle I never sell them for less than I believe them to be worth either. Nobody holds a gun to my head. My dicisions are mine. If I got screwed I did it to myself.

Thank you for the well thought and heartfelt reply. What has gotten lost in this thread is the fact that the calf with a little roan hair on his butt was EXACTLY the same as the others. Same sire and same bunch of good old shorthorn cows. The only problem with that calf was his daddy just didn't finish knocking the roan out of him.
I agree with what you said that my friend shoulda known he was gonna get thumped on that calf, and did what you suggest. Heck we have been actually making more on some of those calves for club calves cuz some of them are pretty typy but carry a little color. After I sat next to a Buyer one day and watched him "steal" one from my partner the same way. His buddy says what the he{{ are you gonna do with that loud sucker. He says take him to Gunnison and sell him for a club calf for $1,000 next week. Dumb as I am I decided to cut out the middle man and do the same thing. Only difference is we don't charge the kids near as much as he does. Since a GR Champ at these county fairs is only worth $2200 to $3000.

HOWEVER, here is where my rear end gets chapped. Like I tried to explain to Frankie. This calf has more than enuf BLACK on him to qualify for CAB and because of the system this buyer gets to buy him for $.80 when his mates bring $1.05. That's the gyp, whether or not my friend made a bad descision is irrevelant. It just means the feedyard gets the money and not my friend.

3waycross":3qu0fd34 said:
Thank you for the well thought and heartfelt reply. What has gotten lost in this thread is the fact that the calf with a little roan hair on his butt was EXACTLY the same as the others. Same sire and same bunch of good old shorthorn cows. The only problem with that calf was his daddy just didn't finish knocking the roan out of him.

It didn't get lost in this thread because you never said "a little roan hair on his butt...". You said one "roan" calf in the group.
-------
HOWEVER, here is where my rear end gets chapped. Like I tried to explain to Frankie. This calf has more than enuf BLACK on him to qualify for CAB and because of the system this buyer gets to buy him for $.80 when his mates bring $1.05. That's the gyp, whether or not my friend made a bad descision is irrevelant. It just means the feedyard gets the money and not my friend.

What is more and more apparent is that you STILL haven't bothered to read up on the CAB specs. You still rant about him qualifying for CAB when you don't know what qualifies an animal anyway. Plus only about 20% of generic black animals qualify, while known Angus qualify at considerably higher percentages. :roll:

I know a couple of producers who used to use black longhorns on their heifers. Mostly they get solid black calves out of their black cows, but occasionally they'll get a spotted one. They don't put those spotted calves in the same load with the solid colored calves. They say buyers discount the entire group. I guess you could say your friend lucked out that they cut the calf out and sold him by himself rather than discount the whole lot. If cattle prices start falling, I think you'll see more and more of these sorts of discounts.

Probably the best thing for your friend to do is switch to an Angus bull; then he could sell them as AngusSource calves. :D

Probably the best thing for your friend to do is switch to an Angus bull; then he could sell them as AngusSource calves.

3way...if your friend wants top dollar after all expenses, you might want to look into a Hereford bull.

TheBullLady":25cwib1p said:
I pulled off Hwy. 6 north of Bryan because they were doing road work.

When is Hwy 6 not under construction of some sort? It seems like every single time we are on that road some kind of work is going on. ;-)

OK - here we go again.

Here's the specs
Live Animal Requirements -Schedule GLA PDF, phenotype (51% black hair coat) and genotype (AngusSource® - American Angus Association PDF)

I said and I will say again he was Blk from the naval forward. That's at least 51% Black and you know it.

Now for the last time YOU QUOTED THE REQUIREMENTS---I READ THE REQUIREMENTS----THE REQUIREMENTS SAY 51% BLACK COATED---THE CALF WAS AT LEAST 51%BLACK COATED MAYBE CLOSER TO 70% BUT HE HAD ROAN HAIR ON HIS HINDQUARTERS---BASED ON THAT CRITERIA ALONE HE HAD AT LEAST THE SAME CHANCE TO BE CONSIDERED FOR CAB,HE WAS DISCOUNTED BY THE BUYERS NOT BECAUSE HE WAS DEFECTIVE(CRIPPLED,SICK,OR DEFORMED)BUT SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY FREAKIN COULD DO IT AND GET AWAY WITH IT.. THAT WAS MY POINT BEFORE AND IT STILL IS NOW.

Now Frankie you do what you always do and go ahead and declare victory, and lock the thread. Or better yet find another ARTICLE to quote to me and the rest of us like we haven't heard enuf of your BULLSHYT already

HerefordSire":3q8y0hzj said:
Probably the best thing for your friend to do is switch to an Angus bull; then he could sell them as AngusSource calves.

3way...if your friend wants top dollar after all expenses, you might want to look into a Hereford bull.

Sure so he can put more white in them. WTF are you smoking??????????

3waycross":3nc53kw4 said:
HerefordSire":3nc53kw4 said:

Sure so he can put more white in them. WTF are you smoking??????????

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Expenses should be much lower per head than Angus. No need to worry about a dock because we expect it. More cash flow after dock than Angus.

HerefordSire":2z8ur6d0 said:
Expenses should be much lower per head than Angus. No need to worry about a dock because we expect it. More cash flow after dock than Angus.

Dream on. :lol2:

Frankie":13s56bog said:
HerefordSire":13s56bog said:

Dream on. :lol2:

I am not sure why but I have netted many thousands more not using Angus. I figure it has something to do with efficiency, but you probably know what Angus weaknesses are better than I.

What works in your situation is what you need to use.

South of here they have culled to the bone. Any female with ear is going to bring a lot of nickels next year if it is a wet spring. We've been through this cycle before.

Frankie":2u1gmo1q said:
HerefordSire":2u1gmo1q said:

Dream on.

How the h@ll do you know ??????

Maybe herf bulls do not need to be force fed grain to grown an @ss on them or fill them out when there is still plenty of pasture available for them.. ;-)

hillsdown":2j24coqy said:
Frankie":2j24coqy said:
HerefordSire":2j24coqy said:

Dream on.

How the h@ll do you know ??????

Maybe herf bulls do not need to be force fed grain to grown an @ss on them or fill them out when there is still plenty of pasture available for them.. ;-)

Herfs sure as hades do better in this climate.

Latest posts