Salebarn Report

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Hauled 14 heavy 4's to heavy 5's averaged 94 cents mixed load of steer heifer calves.
That was a fun trip Tuesday between Groveton and Crockett in the middle of no where had a blow out on the trailer.
I had replaced the tires in July the old set was 18 years old and never a flat this set second trip to the barn one came to pieces. There is nothing that comes close to having this much fun as changing a trailer tire on a road with no shoulder in the rain and mud with calf's peeing and craping on you while you do.

It could have been worse CB.
You can be stuck on a busy highway with no shoulder or pull off anywhere and helping the spouse change the tire as fast as they can, but your not much help being 6 months pregnant. Been there. :D

The price sucks as much as the flat doesn't it. :frowns: I sold some two weeks ago. Average weight was 460 and 92 cents a pound.

Going to roll the dice and keep the good heifers for replacements.

Last time I had a flat on the trailer, I pulled off Hwy. 6 north of Bryan because they were doing road work. Got the flat off, fixin' to put the spare on and a nice young man stopped behind me and offered to help. I told him I was good, but thanked him. He remained standing there, so I looked at him like "huh"? and he said "ma'am, you're blocking my driveway". lol

We hauled some 4 to 5 weights to the barn a week ago Thursday and they averaged $95 to $1.09. Better than I had expected.

Caustic Burno":3i7ih18o said:
There is nothing that comes close to having this much fun as changing a trailer tire on a road with no shoulder in the rain and mud with calf's peeing and craping on you while you do.

Been there and done that. Thanks for the memory. I was just a kid with Granddad. It's good thing to be prepared with the wood blocks and plank, tire iron and spare. I must of been 10 years old. I got a little on me.

Kinda reminds me of the time I had to pull over in the left breakdown lane on the downtown connector in Atlanta in a '58 chevy with a load of watermelons when the windshield wipers quit working.

My buddy sold 15 Balancer/Shorthorn blk calves 450#'s for 1.05, there was ONE blk roan in the group , and the sorry ba$tards cut him out and sold him for .80.

NOW Frankie do you see why this BLACK thing pi$$es me off so bad. He was one of the best calves of the bunch and those sorry sob's stole him.

3waycross":1dr58ypz said:
My buddy sold 15 Balancer/Shorthorn blk calves 450#'s for 1.05, there was ONE blk roan in the group , and the sorry ba$tards cut him out and sold him for .80.

NOW Frankie do you see why this BLACK thing pi$$es me off so bad. He was one of the best calves of the bunch and those sorry sob's stole him.

If he was so good why didn't you buy him? I seriously doubt the buyer showed up at the sale barn with an order for roan calves. But he was carrying lots of orders for black calves. Why? Because there are many, many branded beef programs needing Angus cattle. Plus all the fast food outlets that have their "angus" burgers. (And cheap calves always work.) Why do you put down success? I'd have thought that you would be admiring the turn around of the Angus breed over the last 20 years. :D

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/ams.fet ... acct=lsstd

Frankie":tu6r2pxu said:
3waycross":tu6r2pxu said:

If he was so good why didn't you buy him? I seriously doubt the buyer showed up at the sale barn with an order for roan calves. But he was carrying lots of orders for black calves. Why? Because there are many, many branded beef programs needing Angus cattle. Plus all the fast food outlets that have their "angus" burgers. (And cheap calves always work.) Why do you put down success? I'd have thought that you would be admiring the turn around of the Angus breed over the last 20 years. :D

As usual YOU miss the point. He went to the same guy for .25 a lb less than his mates, and because he is BLACK hided he will go to CAB just like the others. My point is it's just an excuse to cheat the rancher. Funny part of this deal is they are at most 25% angus but being blk hided they will pass.

As far as me buying him your moronic sarcasm is always appreciated, and ocassionally even admired.

3waycross":2kapall6 said:
Frankie":2kapall6 said:
3waycross":2kapall6 said:

As usual YOU miss the point. He went to the same guy for .25 a lb less than his mates, and because he is BLACK hided he will go to CAB just like the others. My point is it's just an excuse to cheat the rancher. Funny part of this deal is they are at most 25% angus but being blk hided they will pass.

As far as me buying him your moronic sarcasm is always appreciated, and ocassionally even admired.

What sarcasm? I may be the moron, but you're usually the one left holding the short end of the stick in these discussions. :lol: Why?

:???: Because you never do your homework, so one more time, I'll set you straight. BLACK HIDED has nothing to do with CAB. The animal must be 51% solid black. So, no, even if he meets the pretty tough criteria for the program, he won't go CAB. I don't think the word HIDE is in the CAB specs.

Most of us are price takers, not price setters. Your friend now knows roan cattle might be discounted. Whether or not he choses to do anything about it is his decision.

Then there's this:
http://www.nrn.com/article.aspx?keyword ... &id=337328

As far as me buying him your moronic sarcasm is always appreciated, and ocassionally even admired.[/quote]

What sarcasm? I may be the moron, but you're usually the one left holding the short end of the stick in these discussions. :lol: Why?

:???: Because you never do your homework, so one more time, I'll set you straight. BLACK HIDED has nothing to do with CAB. The animal must be 51% solid black. So, no, even if he meets the pretty tough criteria for the program, he won't go CAB. I don't think the word HIDE is in the CAB specs.

Most of us are price takers, not price setters. Your friend now knows roan cattle might be discounted. Whether or not he choses to do anything about it is his decision.

Then there's this:
http://www.nrn.com/article.aspx?keyword ... &id=337328[/quote]blahblah blah blah blah blah blah. same ole crap different day.

The calf did not have a white hair forward of his navel and very little behind it. You know that kind of calf is gonna pass. When the packers have to start kicking back a premium for calves like that that they buy for nothing and then sell as CAB then I will concede your point until then it's just theft no matter how you slice it.

As far as who's holding the wrong end of the stick. As long as the only vote that counts is yours, and YOU have the power of the LOCK then you are Queen.

3waycross":1jifb16t said:

Then there's this:
http://www.nrn.com/article.aspx?keyword ... &id=337328[/quote]blahblah blah blah blah blah blah. same ole crap different day.[/quote]

Yep. And all of it's true. And not from the Angus Assn. :D

The calf did not have a white hair forward of his navel and very little behind it. You know that kind of calf is gonna pass. When the packers have to start kicking back a premium for calves like that that they buy for nothing and then sell as CAB then I will concede your point until then it's just theft no matter how you slice it.

If it's a roan, as you said, then no, it's not going to pass. READ THE SPECIFICATIONS. How can you expect anyone to take you seriously when you not only don't know what your talking about, but apparently don't even care to know! When the information is right there at a link put in front of you? Sad, sad, sad. :(

http://homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/CowPatterns.html#roan

As far as who's holding the wrong end of the stick. As long as the only vote that counts is yours, and YOU have the power of the LOCK then you are Queen.

You started this by calling me out, now you're making excuses because you AGAIN don't have facts straight. :D It seems to me that you want to blow and go about Angus and CAB, then it ruffles your feathers when I point out that you don't know what you're talking about.

Your buddy might claim he was robbed this year, but if he keeps that cow and she's bred back the same way, he doesn't have much grounds to complain, IMO.

[

It doesn't matter where it comes from It's the same ole MARKETING BS and you know it.

If it's a roan, as you said, then no, it's not going to pass. READ THE SPECIFICATIONS. How can you expect anyone to take you seriously when you not only don't know what your talking about, but apparently don't even care to know! When the information is right there at a link put in front of you? Sad, sad, sad. :(
What's sad is how you pick and choose what you answer. I will throw your own words back at you you said specifically 51% blk hair. I said specifically it was solid bld from the navel forward. Even someone with your limited inteligence can look at a calf and know the there is more than 51% from the navel forward. As usual YOU make the facts fit your case.

I did in fact notice that as usual you chose to ignore my statement about them being only 25% angus but still being eligible for the premium. You again will not concede it is not about being angus it has become about being BLACK and you know it.

You started this by calling me out, now you're making excuses because you AGAIN don't have facts straight. :D It seems to me that you want to blow and go about Angus and CAB, then it ruffles your feathers when I point out that you don't know what you're talking about.
I didn't actually call you out I used this case to illustrate what was wrong with the blk issue relative to the sale barn which if you had actually read the title of the thread you would have understood.

Your buddy might claim he was robbed this year, but if he keeps that cow and she's bred back the same way, he doesn't have much grounds to complain, IMO.[/quote]
I think he may have actually sold her but he still has other roan shorthorns that throw it once in a while. What he does not do is chase the fad when he knows he has good cattle that took him years to develop. BTW he didn't say nything he just shook his head and took it like he does every time the cattle buyers screw him.

3waycross":2uelfnnh said:
[

It doesn't matter where it comes from It's the same ole MARKETING BS and you know it.

The link is to a restaurant trade paper. You know, where people actually sell the meat we raise? They're not "marketing" anything; they're reporting the news within the restaurant world. And the news is that Angus beef is in demand. When Angus beef is in demand, so are Angus cattle. Continue to ignore the facts; you only look sadder and sadder.

What's sad is how you pick and choose what you answer. I will throw your own words back at you you said specifically 51% blk hair. I said specifically it was solid bld from the navel forward. Even someone with your limited inteligence can look at a calf and know the there is more than 51% from the navel forward. As usual YOU make the facts fit your case.

You didn't say he was solid black (if that's what bld means) from the navel forward. You said he was a "roan". Either you STILL haven't read the CAB specs or are not smart enough to understand them. Cattle buyers pay what have to for cattle of all colors, breed, sizes. Apparently no other buyer wanted him much either.

I did in fact notice that as usual you chose to ignore my statement about them being only 25% angus but still being eligible for the premium. You again will not concede it is not about being angus it has become about being BLACK and you know it.

Ignore you? I try my best. :roll: I've posted CAB specs many times on this board. You continue to ignore them and/or set up a straw man to knock down and pretend they call for a specific % of Angus blood. They don't. Yawn.

I didn't actually call you out I used this case to illustrate what was wrong with the blk issue relative to the sale barn which if you had actually read the title of the thread you would have understood.

Poor, poor Three. Now that you've shown you don't even know what qualifies as CAB, you didn't REALLY call me out. What did you expect? That I'd ignore you. Here I was, happily reading a thread about changing tires in the rain and you come along and call me out because your buddy CHOSES to breed roan cattle and gets docked at the sale barn! Anybody who's been selling cattle for very many years at the sale barn knows roans and spots will usually get docked. But you have to play "ain't it awful" and bring my name into it.

For future reference, I believe you hate the black "fad" as you call it, because you hate success. And the Angus story for the last 20 years has been pretty successful. :D

Your buddy might claim he was robbed this year, but if he keeps that cow and she's bred back the same way, he doesn't have much grounds to complain, IMO.
I think he may have actually sold her but he still has other roan shorthorns that throw it once in a while. What he does not do is chase the fad when he knows he has good cattle that took him years to develop. BTW he didn't say nything he just shook his head and took it like he does every time the cattle buyers screw him.

I guess it depends on what you call "good cattle". Getting that dock on a calf would make me question just how "good" that particular cow is. But to each his own.

3waycross":39l6ak6h said:

Then there's this:
http://www.nrn.com/article.aspx?keyword ... &id=337328[/quote]blahblah blah blah blah blah blah. same ole crap different day.

OK Frankie I will play the game your way, WAIT maybe here is where I use the word Sad 3 or 4 times to prove my superiority, here is MY statement. Reread it and and eat your words.(they should taste great covered with BS such as they are.
As far as who's holding the wrong end of the stick. As long as the only vote that counts is yours, and YOU have the power of the LOCK then you are Queen.[/quote]

I see you haven't cleaned up your act; still trying to change the facts to fit your agenda, even if everyone else can see them. No. Here's what you originally said:

Rule of Holes: If you're smart, when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

Why did they cut him out ........Did he have an actual noticeable @ss ,so they knew for sure he didn't have enough Blk Angus in him ????????? ;-) :lol:

Went to the salebarn today some fine cows being dumped. One fellow was selling out thirty 4 to 6 year old Brangus bred 4 to 5 months to a Hereford bull. Bidding started at 550 with the top being 650 about half went to slaughter as there were no buyers. Everyone scared they won't have enough hay to carry them over the winter.

Latest posts