Salebarn Report

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":lca5hfjj said:
Averaged 600 frog hides on cull cows yesterday and 1.05 on 4 Wt steers better than last week.Volume was lighter this week due to weather.
Hope that holds till next week

Caustic Burno":wiiu66fh said:
Averaged 600 frog hides on cull cows yesterday and 1.05 on 4 Wt steers better than last week.
Volume was lighter this week due to weather.

I'm going to sit tight until next spring. I've got plenty of hay, winter forage, and don't need any nickels at the moment.

backhoeboogie":1btlo112 said:
Caustic Burno":1btlo112 said:
Averaged 600 frog hides on cull cows yesterday and 1.05 on 4 Wt steers better than last week.

I'm going to sit tight until next spring. I've got plenty of hay, winter forage, and don't need any nickels at the moment.

I am holding over some really good heifers this winter, planing to haul them out Navasota way.
Those boys over that way are going to need replacements next spring.

Caustic Burno":2yyvz0x3 said:
backhoeboogie":2yyvz0x3 said:
Caustic Burno":2yyvz0x3 said:

I am holding over some really good heifers this winter, planing to haul them out Navasota way.
Those boys over that way are going to need replacements next spring.
Sounds good. I hope you are going to be right. :nod: I've got some I'm holding too.

Sold my calves Friday and watched them and everything else go for $.92avg for 5 and 6 weights. The same calves were $1.05 a week ago. He[[ they brought as much as $1.09 on Monday in La Junta.

Little gal I know sold about 75 head of real good blk calves, vacc'd out the wazoo and long weaned for $91.75 for 5 weights and $92.50 for 6 weights.

Doing things the right way as far as vacc's and weaning did her NO good at all. So why bother to waste all the time and vaccine?

Heavy steers(750 and up) brought the best money by far. You couldn't give the little ones away.

I sold 3 great looking black 1/2 angus calves in my group of steers and they did not take top price. Top price went to a group of 10 red calves average weight 785 and got $1.1425 a pound . I guess black is not God around here.. :lol:

A 3/4 gelbvieh 1/4 holstein steer weighing 793 lbs brought in 1.1275 a pound.. :lol:

My heavy's did really well, anything between 650 and 800 got top dollar but nothing sold under 1.08 a pound , which is surprising as I thought they would take a real beating with there not being any feed around. I talked to Jack (the owner) on Tues and he said that my group looked the best that day (Monday) and took pretty much top dollar ;so that makes me feel good even if I did have to sell most of their moms this year. It makes me believe that I can get back there or better again. It is nice to know that the buyers are waiting for your cattle to come in.

The heifers of course took a beating even a group of 750lb ones only went for 0.99 a pound. I hate that they steel them from us. I would have kept most of them but ...

I averaged 1.11 a pound for steers and 0.93 a pound for heifers..

hillsdown":2c5wvi3m said:
I sold 3 great looking black 1/2 angus calves in my group of steers and they did not take top price. Top price went to a group of 10 red calves average weight 785 and got $1.1425 a pound . I guess black is not God around here.. :lol:

A 3/4 gelbvieh 1/4 holstein steer weighing 793 lbs brought in 1.1275 a pound.. :lol:

My heavy's did really well, anything between 650 and 800 got top dollar but nothing sold under 1.08 a pound , which is surprising as I thought they would take a real beating with there not being any feed around. I talked to Jack (the owner) on Tues and he said that my group looked the best that day (Monday) and took pretty much top dollar ;so that makes me feel good even if I did have to sell most of their moms this year. It makes me believe that I can get back there or better again. It is nice to know that the buyers are waiting for your cattle to come in.

The heifers of course took a beating even a group of 750lb ones only went for 0.99 a pound. I hate that they steel them from us. I would have kept most of them but ...

I averaged 1.11 a pound for steers and 0.93 a pound for heifers..

Good for you HD you would have cried at what heifers brought around here. The mid 80"s

3waycross":huid0pmx said:
Doing things the right way as far as vacc's and weaning did her NO good at all. So why bother to waste all the time and vaccine?

Despite all the hoopla about vaccinations and such we have found that over the years it does not pay to spend the extra money.

Took some calves in to the sale barn about three years ago for the neighbour.

He provided birth weights, weaning weights, vaccinations, daily weight gains and the whole nine yards.

He got almost exactly $0.015 a pound less than I did for an exact copy group - and I provided nothing other than a living critter ready to go and get fat for slaughter.

Was he PO'd!

So we did it again the next year - this time I got almost $0.03 a pound more for them.

Now he does what we do - absolutely as little as possible.

We get less than those folks who haul in from the fancy places - but I would bet you a drink and a dinner at the local cowboy restaurant that the diference in expense vs income is better for us old time, useless, rusted out truck drivers than those who follow the fancy protocols, drive the nice truck and have that nice white fence all up and down the lane way.

It is an ongoing argument - be that as it may - costs more to raise them here than we get when we sell them so we do nothing more than send them on down the line. And even more cows are gone this year. We will have just enough to feed the families and a couple of neighbours - let the companies import that fine US beef into Canada.

The Canadian herd is dropping fast and soon it will not be able to feed the country. I think the Western Producer article I read was something like 10 more years at present rate of decay.

And you know - they still feed quality chicken schitte to cows in the US of A - makes for a great export product from there and an even better import product into Canada - grade A US beef - raised on chicken schitte!

Go to jail if we do that in Canada.

Have a good one folks

Bez+

3way I think I am going to cry when I see what my bred heifers and cows got. No breeding stock is selling right now at all.. :cry2:
1 Canadian dollar = 0.915751 U.S. dollars
I guess we are about the same then.

I lost my shirt in this deal. :???:

We got 2 mm of rain yesterday , but the pay off was that the temps have dropped ,so growth is done..

Next year..

CB I agree holding hiefers back if you can will most likely pay off. I know that someone is going to make a killing next year around here, too bad I am not a gambler..

Bez, we don't own any fancy equipment either, but everything is PAYED for . ;-)

I think some are under estimating the tenacity of some Canadians. I am down but not out and when I come back I will be better than before.. Some of us are just too darn stubborn to throw in the towel. That or too young and stupid.. :lol:

hillsdown":wt60n2na said:
Bez, we don't own any fancy equipment either, but everything is PAYED for . ;-)

I think some are under estimating the tenacity of some Canadians. I am down but not out and when I come back I will be better than before.. Some of us are just too darn stubborn to throw in the towel. That or too young and stupid.. :lol:

Well, you guys are way younger than me and far better looking - and probably a heck of a lot smarter - I would have to say the problem is you are in a serious minority - it is pure numbers and there are more exiting the business than entering - and you cannot advance unless you make a PROFIT - let me know when that really happens.

Be that as it may time will tell - US imports are way up.

M&M meats is the one that bugs the schitte out of me - no Canadian meat. As told to me by the manager at the one we made
our LAST purchase from

My best from the OP - Arabic (Habibi) music blaring in the background

Bez+

Latest posts