Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

It is very sad. As A 28 yr milk tester, I am seeing it more and more here. The 75-150 cow herds are just not able to make it. Milk prices came up a little this month, but the futures are showing prices will drop back again in March. One of the saddest things is that these cows on all these "smaller dairies" are usually good well bred cows. And they will not bring anywhere near what they are worth.
It is very sad when a farmer has to make that decision. Especially when it has been in the family for generations. But even if they have someone who can and wants to take over, and many don't, the fact of the matter is you are facing a continual uphill battle with trying to make ends meet, let alone make a living.
Have a 200 cow registered jersey herd here that is losing their "main milker/herdsperson" . Don't know all the details, and no farmer is perfect.... but the owners are in their 60's-70's.... what is going to happen there is anyone's guess. They were saying that the milk check is about half of what it used to be, and costs sure haven't gone down. You want to move to Va? I can give you details...

I see a couple complete dispersal sales advertised. And they are not the smaller dairies. They are two and four thousand milking plus young stock. Prices are down to where the big boys are in trouble if they have too much debt.

Dave":1tpajdj2 said:
I see a couple complete dispersal sales advertised. And they are not the smaller dairies. They are two and four thousand milking plus young stock. Prices are down to where the big boys are in trouble if they have too much debt.
Luckily for my boss he doesn't owe the bank. Maybe a little to the feed company and to the vet but he should be able to keep most of what he gets from the sale. It's sad to see him selling the cows but it's smart for him to get out before he ends up owing a lot of money

farmerjan":3r2ansej said:
Have a 200 cow registered jersey herd here that is losing their "main milker/herdsperson" . Don't know all the details, and no farmer is perfect.... but the owners are in their 60's-70's.... what is going to happen there is anyone's guess. They were saying that the milk check is about half of what it used to be, and costs sure haven't gone down. You want to move to Va? I can give you details...
I have enjoyed working where I work but I honestly don't think I would take a job for another dairy farmer. My own boss couldn't understand why I stayed working the hours I work for the pay I work for. Especially with all the higher paying job offers I have had well working for him

ez14.":281ysbzi said:
farmerjan":281ysbzi said:
I have enjoyed working where I work but I honestly don't think I would take a job for another dairy farmer. My own boss couldn't understand why I stayed working the hours I work for the pay I work for. Especially with all the higher paying job offers I have had well working for him

Good luck to you! Job changes are stressful even under good circumstances when you have options. And good luck to your employers. It is tough times for dairy (and many beef).

boondocks":upm18iz0 said:
ez14.":upm18iz0 said:
farmerjan":upm18iz0 said:

Good luck to you! Job changes are stressful even under good circumstances when you have options. And good luck to your employers. It is tough times for dairy (and many beef).
thanks

How did the sale go? Sure hope that they got better prices for their cattle than what has been seen lately here. Got a 100 cow farm that I am thinking will go out in the next few months. They are in alot of debt though... it won't be good even after as they are hoping to run beef instead.... and we all know how profitable that is .
Have several farms going to testing every 6-8 weeks and a few are probably going to skip at least a month or two at a time.

farmerjan said:
How did the sale go? Sure hope that they got better prices for their cattle than what has been seen lately here. Got a 100 cow farm that I am thinking will go out in the next few months. They are in alot of debt though... it won't be good even after as they are hoping to run beef instead.... and we all know how profitable that is .
Have several farms going to testing every 6-8 weeks and a few are probably going to skip at least a month or two at a time.
the sale get postponed due to the weather (I guess people didn't want to be standing around in -0 temperatures :???: :lol: ) so it is rescheduled for the 11th

Well, I can see it being postponed. It is hard on cattle and people with those temps; then to have to move cattle and such, it would have hurt the prices even more. They closed schools here and other stuff because we are not accustomed to temps with the windchills as low as 0. Buses weren't starting and there were a few frozen pipes and it is just plain cold on kids waiting for the buses. They just decided it was smarter to not have more problems and that they can make up a few days at the end of the school year.

farmerjan said:
Well, I can see it being postponed. It is hard on cattle and people with those temps; then to have to move cattle and such, it would have hurt the prices even more. They closed schools here and other stuff because we are not accustomed to temps with the windchills as low as 0. Buses weren't starting and there were a few frozen pipes and it is just plain cold on kids waiting for the buses. They just decided it was smarter to not have more problems and that they can make up a few days at the end of the school year.
Yeah a lot of the buyers said they wouldn't come due to the weather so my boss decided not to have a sale with no buyers :lol: