Sale with a bad taste..so far.

Help Support CattleToday:

Limomike

Reaction score
Took some calves to the sale barn Monday. Had to leave for an appointment before they were run through. When I got back, they told me all but 2 of them had sold. I found this to be somewhat odd, so I went out to the yard, and looked over the 150 or so that was left in the yard to sell. Mine were NOT there. Went back in and told them that my other two steers had to have sold with the rest of mine. They looked and looked, and asked me what they probably weighed. I told them since they were around 185 days old, and had to weigh at least between 500-600 lbs. They finally told me they had two of them that the "sticker tags" had fallen off and one was 595lbs, and the other was 525lbs. I said that sounded about right, so they cut me a check for all my sale cattle. I went to the bank cashed the check, came home, did my chores, and finally made it in around 9PM. Got a call from the stockyard saying they had made a mistake on one of my steers, and that it only weighted 435lbs, and that I needed to come down and pay the difference of $115 to them. I told them it was their mistake, and they needed to prove it to me, since all of my steers gain between 2.7 to 3.0 lbs per day, and there was no way my steer weighed the lesser amount. They said that some other guy's steer got mixed up with mine.
Got a meeting today with the owner of the stockyard, to see what he says. I think he should just forget the whole ordeal and leave it as it is now. What do you all think?

Limomike":3a5r39vn said:
Got a meeting today with the owner of the stockyard, to see what he says. I think he should just forget the whole ordeal and leave it as it is now. What do you all think?

I think you're right. He made the mistake. If you have some records showing how your calves gain, it might be worthwhile to take them to the meeing. But it seems to me he should just set it go. 'Course you're probably going to be dealing with this sale barn in the future. It might be best not to ruffle feathers too much. Good luck.....

I'd take that check and deposit it before the stockyard folks put a stop payment on it. Then, if the owner of the stockyard doesn't drop it (like he should), I'd tell him that sometimes it takes a wake up call like this to pay a bit more attention to the way he manages his business. You trusted your cattle to him to be sold so he could make his commission. Wasn't your fault that his employees had a rough day and things got bolluxed up. The most he could do would be take you to small claims court, and the burden of proof would be on him...and he's got no proof, from what I can tell. I think right is definitely on your side with this one.

Alice

Limomike you are right on this. Don't you just hate it when someone screws up and it's not your fault yet they pressure you to fix it. Good luck, Tom

Our local sale barn uses two scales and divides the calves between steers and heifers and it is a real pain to keep up with the tickets. I like to have someone with me to go with both bunches. Some people haul calves for two different farms and it is a problem getting them seperated. I guess I am going to start taging my calves with a special ear tag or something.
Fred :?

I look at it this way. What would you do if they shorted you $115?

Obviously they more than likely can't prove that the calf that sold as yours was someone else's, and if you are certain your calf weighed in the 500lb range, then don't feel guilty and take the money. Otherwise, what goes around comes around, and karma is a real be nice.

john250":3piqvkad said:
I'm a little surprised they would risk your good will for $115. Are they the only sale in 500 miles?
Kinda what I thought... no, they arent the only sale within that range. There are actually 3 more around here. It is kind of a two way street, they could set my calves in at a low price next time I take them in, IF I decide to take them back there.

The more I think about it, I can't believe the sale barn is making a fuss about $115. They should just realize it was a mistake, may or may not be right, but does anyone really know for sure.

I'm sure this happens from time to time at sale barns all over. They should just eat it and move on.

First they tell you 2 of your calves didn't sell then they say they did and cut you a fair check based on your estimated weights then they tell you the check was to much because one of the calves sold wasn't yours. Poor business practices in my book. I'd be haulin em to a differant sale barn.Sounds like a load of BS to me. :roll:

im betting after you meet with the sale barn owner about them wanting a $115 back.that you wont ever take cattle to that sale again.an if you do an they are madd.i bet they screw you on what your calves bring.i really dont know what to tell you about giving them $115 back.

To begin with it was very poor management on their part.they had not a clue where your calves were when you asked. Then to cover up their mistake they decided to be honest and pay you for the sale of them even though they didnt even know where they went.now they decide to be dishonest and want some of their money back.And you pay for their mistake.

I would keep the money and would not use the sale barn again.
No1. they proved to be untrustworthy and apperantly can't run a good sale barn keeping track of the cows.
No2. They will get their money back on the next bunch you run through there.

So I vote take the money and run.

Cal

I would tell them they need to work on their book keeping and that you are not returning the money. Simple as that. They would have to take you to court and have proof.

Then, just let it die down for a while and make sure you take your cattle under another name next time. ;-)

Mabe its just me, but with that many problems I wouldn't want to use them anymore anyway.

For the life of me I can't understand why they didn't just average the weight of all the other calves you sold and pay you on that amount. You might suggest that to the owner and see what he says.

Could work for you could work against you but it seems to be the fairest solution. At least to me anyway.

Latest posts