Sale today

Help Support CattleToday:

piedmontese

Reaction score
Was at the special bred Cow sale today and seen 126 head of angus and f-1's bred 7 months,3 yrs old sale for $2,575 a piece. A lot of others for $2,000 and up.even singles odd colors were high.

bmcdonaldbmcdonald":2wyghuku said:
Was at the special bred Cow sale today and seen 126 head of angus and f-1's bred 7 months,3 yrs old sale for $2,575 a piece. A lot of others for $2,000 and up.even singles odd colors were high.

And I thought 2500 for 3 yrs Bradford pairs was high
Last week
Where did the sale take place that's hard to believe? ?

the comm an crossbred cows are just pricing themselves out of the market.if i was going to pay that for those cows id up the price an buy reg cows.

bmcdonald":1qfcgw6c said:
bmcdonaldbmcdonald":1qfcgw6c said:

And I thought 2500 for 3 yrs Bradford pairs was high
Last week
Where did the sale take place that's hard to believe? ?
Eldorado kansas

Must be a surplus of feed, or a lot of oil money, around there?

Here - - common bred cows are $1100 to 1300. About the same price as a feedlot bound yearling. Seems cheap on the surface, but there is not much demand for cows. :(

I updated some gross margin numbers tonight. If you are buying hay at the asking price (about $100 a ton) you can see why cows are not in more demand in the snow belt. Folks used to think you had to feed hay 7 months out of the year here. With better management, some fall rain, and some crop residue - - you could cut that to (only) 5 months of feeding. This is still a long winter if you do not enjoy snowmobiling. :banana:

Plenty of hay this year and it's quite a bit less than $100 per ton and Eldorado is a oil and cattle town. They were pretty fancy cows though and a real nice uniform group.

Is that really a surprise? I sold my last cow last week she was 17 years old fat as a tick at 1300 lbs and brought 92 cents a lb. I have to admit I haven't been to the barn the last couple of years, but in the past if you doubled the price of a cull cow, you where pretty close to the price of an average replacement cow. With those numbers doubling it would get you $2392....Would say that the formula is still pretty accurate

Latest posts