Sale Rip?

Help Support CattleToday:

Limomike

Reaction score
Just wanted to know you guys opinions on what you think happened to a steer I recently sold at a sale barn. He weighed in at 665lbs, red, medium to large, Limo/Beefmaster cross, so he was looking very good. When he came out into the arena, he was set in at .75 cents, and the bidding didnt go any higher than .77, and he was out of there in a hurry. I later checked the price range for medium to large steers, in the 650-675 lb range that sold that day, and not a one of them sold for any less than .97 per lb. I just wondered if maybe the sale barn owner or one of the workers there, set in the bid, and sent him out real quick so they could bring him in back next week, and make up the difference that I lost? Any comments or thoughts?
And in case you all think I was being unfairly singled out; I also had the highest priced black baldy, Hereford/Limo cross that sold that day for 1.24 per lb.

Limomike":mat7s5aw said:
I just wondered if maybe the sale barn owner or one of the workers there, set in the bid, and sent him out real quick so they could bring him in back next week, and make up the difference that I lost?

At our local "sale barn" (if you can call it that), you can buy cows today, and then take them 75 miles up the road, resell, and make money.

We have only 2 "buyers" now at the local barn and it's nothing more than a scam. If you've got more than a couple to sell, it's worth making the drive yourself.

Limomike":35emrd84 said:
Just wanted to know you guys opinions on what you think happened to a steer I recently sold at a sale barn. He weighed in at 665lbs, red, medium to large, Limo/Beefmaster cross, so he was looking very good. When he came out into the arena, he was set in at .75 cents, and the bidding didnt go any higher than .77, and he was out of there in a hurry. I later checked the price range for medium to large steers, in the 650-675 lb range that sold that day, and not a one of them sold for any less than .97 per lb. I just wondered if maybe the sale barn owner or one of the workers there, set in the bid, and sent him out real quick so they could bring him in back next week, and make up the difference that I lost? Any comments or thoughts?
And in case you all think I was being unfairly singled out; I also had the highest priced black baldy, Hereford/Limo cross that sold that day for 1.24 per lb.

I doubt anyone cheated you; lots of things play into the price bid:

Was he a single lot? How much ear did he have?

Not much ear, and yes he was a single lot. I just found it odd that his price was not listed in the report the next day for that weight.
Oh well, nothing surprises me nowdays about getting ripped off. Seems like everyone is on the take.

Limomike":qgsop08i said:
Not much ear, and yes he was a single lot. I just found it odd that his price was not listed in the report the next day for that weight.
Oh well, nothing surprises me nowdays about getting ripped off. Seems like everyone is on the take.

Would you have made any money @ .97?

bottomline is some1 got a real good calf real cheap.the sad thing is stuff like that happens.

many auctions will toss out the outliers when they give market reports. i've also found that a lot of people who see nothing wrong with their cattle look at them with a prejudice that order buyers don't possess.

also, you might not think he expressed much ear, but you also said that he was a beefmaster cross. that makes him 1/4 eared any way you figure it and if he had a lot of sheath or dewlap, the actual length of his ear isn't important. you just might be far enough north for a 1/4 cross calf to cost you.

bigbull338":1mqegbkc said:
bottomline is some1 got a real good calf real cheap.the sad thing is stuff like that happens.
Exactly what I thought. And yes, herefordsire, I would have made MORE money if he would have sold for the .97

Limomike":1dn3uvyc said:
bigbull338":1dn3uvyc said:
Exactly what I thought. And yes, herefordsire, I would have made MORE money if he would have sold for the .97

On your sales ticket, is the name that bought your low priced one the same name that bought the high priced BWF for 1.24?

irked":djyzr0jv said:
many auctions will toss out the outliers when they give market reports. i've also found that a lot of people who see nothing wrong with their cattle look at them with a prejudice that order buyers don't possess.

also, you might not think he expressed much ear, but you also said that he was a beefmaster cross. that makes him 1/4 eared any way you figure it and if he had a lot of sheath or dewlap, the actual length of his ear isn't important. you just might be far enough north for a 1/4 cross calf to cost you.

I haven't seen as much predjudice in the owners as I have in the buyers. At one of our local salebarns, if you bring in anything that even remotely looks like a hereford, be prepared to take a $.25/lb hit over anything thing else that size. The reason is, the buyer just doesn't like herefords. Doesnt' matter if it is a good calf, bad calf, or great calf, he just doesnt' like them.

HerefordSire":37rwterf said:
Limomike":37rwterf said:
bigbull338":37rwterf said:

On your sales ticket, is the name that bought your low priced one the same name that bought the high priced BWF for 1.24?
NO, different buyers.

brandonm_13":1v0yuiiv said:
irked":1v0yuiiv said:

I haven't seen as much predjudice in the owners as I have in the buyers. At one of our local salebarns, if you bring in anything that even remotely looks like a hereford, be prepared to take a $.25/lb hit over anything thing else that size. The reason is, the buyer just doesn't like herefords. Doesnt' matter if it is a good calf, bad calf, or great calf, he just doesnt' like them.

i would contend that in most cases, the order buyer that sees calves for only a few seconds knows more about the true value of them than the people who have raised them. but i guess you expect a buyer to give the same amount for all calves? no matter whether it will fit his orders or not? even if his orders specify no herefords, or no spots, or no crests, or whatever--you think he should buy them anyway just to keep the market price even on those? there's almost always a reason why some cattle are cheaper than others and it usually has to do with demand.

A number of possibilities:
1) Too much ear - which has alredy been mentioned.
2) May have been mistakenly seen as a bull instead of steer.
3) Once a buyer's order is filled - he is done. If the trailer is full you can't put the steer in the cab with you.
The other thing is selling a single steer - I personally don't like singles because that little voice in the back of my head is saying 'Why is he here? Is he a fighter, a fence jumper, is he a cull?"
Just my random thoughts
BB

Limomike":bwct7i3v said:

This has happened to me many times here in North Carolina. Sometimes my price is higher than the range listed. The barn explained to me that the reports are from the USDA rep there. They said he could have made some mistakes, not been there the whole time, etc. I was told they (usda) keep their own records and do not get info. from the barn.

Bullbuyer":v189i2ar said:
A number of possibilities:
1) Too much ear - which has alredy been mentioned.
2) May have been mistakenly seen as a bull instead of steer.
3) Once a buyer's order is filled - he is done. If the trailer is full you can't put the steer in the cab with you.
The other thing is selling a single steer - I personally don't like singles because that little voice in the back of my head is saying 'Why is he here? Is he a fighter, a fence jumper, is he a cull?"
Just my random thoughts
BB
I agree with 1,2,3 but down here in East Texas we sell nearly all the calves 1 at a time. Average selling 4or 5 calves a minute (240 to 300 per hour). 'Why is he here? Is he a fighter, a fence jumper, is he a cull?" - NO, it is just time to sell.

Latest posts