Sale results (Feeder calf sale)

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Just got in from the monthly feeder calf sale. I am happy to report that my calves all graded choice and topped the sale again this year :banana: . My 6 weight heifers brought $127.50 cwt. Prices have declined some but I am not too dissappointed. 1,622 calves sold so volume was decent. My uncut bull calves, 650 to 690 lb range brought 120.00 cwt. I should have a decent paycheck coming next week :D

It makes you feel pretty good when the sale barn owner stops you on the way out and asks if you got any more where those came from.

you did real good with your calves hoss.isnt 1600hd light for a feeder calf sale.the feeder calf sales here 4times a year always have from 3000 to 5000hd of calves.

bigbull338":qgeeeogo said:
you did real good with your calves hoss.isnt 1600hd light for a feeder calf sale.the feeder calf sales here 4times a year always have from 3000 to 5000hd of calves.

bigbull,

1600 head is a pretty good sale for this part of the country.This is a monthly feeder calf sale so if it were held 4 times per year the volume would be 4,800 head.

piedmontese":10rrurpb said:
surprised that your heifers brought more than your bulls

The bulls were running heavier and it seemed the buyers were more interested in steers and heifers. Most of the bulls in the same weight class were averaging about 114 cwt. and heifers about 118 cwt. I was fortunate in that mine were at the top end of the sale range. They did better per cwt than alot of the lighter weight calves.

The overall quality was better than normal this year it seemed. We had a great grass growing season with adequate rain despite the heat. There were several 50 to 75 hd lots of steers that sold that were really nice. Cookie cutter group.

When selling calves at an auction yard, what do you mean by, "my calves all graded choice"

BRG":1v133vx5 said:
When selling calves at an auction yard, what do you mean by, "my calves all graded choice"

BRG, it seems that the sales around here each have a different term for grading. This sale used Choice, Good and Odd. Other sales use #1, #2 and #3. Some use words like fancy to describe the #1's or Choice. The graders grade them by BCS, color, muscling etc. Choice usually means a high quality animal.

HOSS":394t8tgi said:
BRG":394t8tgi said:

BRG, it seems that the sales around here each have a different term for grading. This sale used Choice, Good and Odd. Other sales use #1, #2 and #3. Some use words like fancy to describe the #1's or Choice. The graders grade them by BCS, color, muscling etc. Choice usually means a high quality animal.

That's interesting that they would use the term choice. Typically around here fancy is used. So are they guaranteeing that those cattle will grade choice on the rail?

That's interesting that they would use the term choice. Typically around here fancy is used. So are they guaranteeing that those cattle will grade choice on the rail?[/quote]

No. It only designates them as the choice lots of the sale.

Latest posts