Sale report 4/20

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Went to the Galveston County commercial heifer sale today, just got in and unloaded about an hour ago.
Some really nice girl's came through and one came home. Average price was 1800 to 2000 a head.

Talked to my cousin today he bought 29 balancer heifers this week at La Junta for $1.30 # avgd about 850lbs. says they are pretty fancy. Obviously our market is not as strong as yours.

I could be wrong but i think he also bought a yearling Irish Black bull for $1600. That's about $5,000 under the market for those bulls and he is supposed to be one of their calving ease bulls.

3 way these prices are a little higher than normal. These calf's are donated or sold at reduced cost to the kids and raised by 4H and FFA kid's. The kid's show in two catergories %50 or more Brahman and Less than 50%.
I try and make the sale every year. I will try and get pic's of the heifer I bought after church.
Bought the heifer off a little girl about 8 year's old. I ask if she was going to show next year she said yes.
I told her if she needed a calf I would give her one to show next year if there was one she liked in the pasture.
The heifer I bought was my second choice, I got in a bidding war on my first choice and backed off at 2500.
Didn't know the kid on that one, come to find out his mom spent half her life at my house running around with my daughter. I hadn't seen the mom in 15 year's , had I known I wouldn't have backed off.

Running the price up are you. A few bucks ain't never hurt anyone if it's for a good cause. Maybe next year you can buy one of your heifers back. I bet you made a little girl really happy.

Very nice heifer!! looks like the kid did a great job. Will you keep her, breed her?

she is a real nice heifer CB.those heifers brought a real good price.the comm heifer prices have pushed the reg prices higher.nephew an his partner paid $1400 for open reg beefmaster heifers 2wks ago,the same heifers would sell for $2000 at a reg sale

texast":dtgt2a8c said:
Very nice heifer!! looks like the kid did a great job. Will you keep her, breed her?

She is home and has one for a long time as long as she is productive.
I try and go to the Galveston County Commercial Sale every year.
I have bought 9 or 10 over the last twenty year's on some year's I donated a calf to a kid to show.
I alway's donate a 100 dollar's to the drawing.
They have a drawing where buyer's can donate a 100 dollar's when all is collected it is divided into 800 dollar pot's and a cert is given the money has to be spent on a heifer. This help's boost the price for the kid's.

Latest posts