sale of beef?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

when considering to raise cattle for the slaughter house or sale barns, would raising any of the angus or brangus sell for more than the other cow breeds. It seems that angus beef in stores cost more, just wandering.

thanks.

Good question...hard to answer.

When I go to the grocery store, beef is displayed as "cuts" under plastic wrap nestled in styrofoam "trays". Ground beef may be displayed as various cuts ground and percentage of lean.

NEVER have I seen any meat in the supermarket "marketed" as from any given breed of bovines. Once the hide is off and the butcher gets through packaging it...well...it's all pink (or red) inside. Or, when the lights are off, it all tastes like beef....

[email protected]

I believe you're refering to CAB (Certified Angus Beef). CAB doesn't really mean it's angus, ony that it meats the rquirements of USDA to qualify for the CAB program. If you retain ownership through the slaughterhouse and your animals qualify, angus will net you a bonus. The key is that it has to qualify.. dun

> when considering to raise cattle
> for the slaughter house or sale
> barns, would raising any of the
> angus or brangus sell for more
> than the other cow breeds. It
> seems that angus beef in stores
> cost more, just wandering.

> thanks.

"NEVER have I seen any meat in the
> supermarket "marketed"
> as from any given breed of
> bovines."

LHB, you are not paying enough attention or need to get out more. The last count I say said there are about 40 products in supermarkets around the US with the word "Angus" on the label. That doesn't mean they have any Angus beef in them, but they are using the Angus name for marketing purposes. The only supermarket in my town that sells Choice beef sells it as "Preferred Angus Beef." Could be Red Angus, of course, but the word Angus is part of the marketing.

Buyers will discount cattle with too much ear. Real Brangus (5/8 Angus 3/8 Brahman) can and do sell well, partly depending on what part of the country you're marketing them in. Straight Angus may not always receive a premium, but they are seldom discounted. And there are more discounts than premiums out there. Certifed Angus Beef (CAB) is the American Angus Association's branded beef program. It is a higher quality beef than Choice or Select, so it costs more than Choice or Select beef. IMO, good black calves will generally outsell good non-black calves. Sorry black calves will outsell sorry non-black calves. That's because of the CAB premium and the Angus reputation for being efficient feeders. Remember, too, that just selling calves at a higher price doesn't always equate to being profitable.

> when considering to raise cattle
> for the slaughter house or sale
> barns, would raising any of the
> angus or brangus sell for more
> than the other cow breeds. It
> seems that angus beef in stores
> cost more, just wandering.

> thanks.

> Buyers will discount cattle with
> too much ear. Real Brangus (5/8
> Angus 3/8 Brahman) can and do sell
> well, partly depending on what
> part of the country you're
> marketing them in. Straight Angus
> may not always receive a premium,
> but they are seldom discounted.
> And there are more discounts than
> premiums out there. Certifed Angus
> Beef (CAB) is the American Angus
> Association's branded beef
> program. It is a higher quality
> beef than Choice or Select, so it
> costs more than Choice or Select
> beef. IMO, good black calves will
> generally outsell good non-black
> calves. Sorry black calves will
> outsell sorry non-black calves.
> That's because of the CAB premium
> and the Angus reputation for being
> efficient feeders. Remember, too,
> that just selling calves at a
> higher price doesn't always equate
> to being profitable.

Thanks Frankie and the rest of you guys, very helpful. Not many places you can turn to for theses type of questions, especially if you are new at this. thanks again.

[email protected]

> Remember, too,
> that just selling calves at a
> higher price doesn't always equate
> to being profitable.

Truer words are seldom spoken. Many operators, especially the less experienced ones, pay far more attention to their inflows (sales price) than outflows (overhead & expenses). It's to their detriment. Both aspects are important, but look at who is really making money, and what their personal lifestyles and business MOs are like, and it becomes clear that the guys who squeeze money out of cattle do it on the front end.

Craig-TX

Frankie...perhaps I do need to get out mroe...lol. On the other hand,

When I go buy meat I look for a "good" cut that has minimal evidence of grissle or excess fat attached. I look at the appearance and the probability that it will cook well and not require a chainsaw to cut or pitbull teeth to eat. At that moment of my decision (wild a-- guess), where or who the meat comes from is not an issue with me. Bottomline--does it look like it will cook and eat well....

[email protected]

You have a better chance with choice then select. Prime is ussually a lot more money, as is CAB. I've seen some lovely chunks of select that had no flavor and you couldn't gnaw the stuff, forget chewing it.

dun

> Frankie...perhaps I do need to get
> out mroe...lol. On the other hand,

> When I go buy meat I look for a
> "good" cut that has
> minimal evidence of grissle or
> excess fat attached. I look at the
> appearance and the probability
> that it will cook well and not
> require a chainsaw to cut or
> pitbull teeth to eat. At that
> moment of my decision (wild a--
> guess), where or who the meat
> comes from is not an issue with
> me. Bottomline--does it look like
> it will cook and eat well....

just to ruffle the feathers of you longhorn folks again......that select dun is referring to is probably longhorn.

& a lot (not all) of the "fancy" ranches have owners who have made their money elsewhere. some of them are just looking for tax shelters from uncle sam & not worrying too much about the bottom line. unfortunately, that's not our situation. we do like to make money in the cattle market.

A heckuva lot of continental won't make choice either. Brahman and Brahman influence also.

dun

> just to ruffle the feathers of you
> longhorn folks again......that
> select dun is referring to is
> probably longhorn.

> A heckuva lot of continental won't
> make choice either. Brahman and
> Brahman influence also.

> dun

Dun, Brangus (3/8 Brahman and 5/8 Angus) will quilify for the CAB program and will grade almost identical to Angus.

[email protected]

Some genetics very well may, but we have several straight bred Brangus breeders in our marketing group and they haven't had anything in the past two years grade other then select. Yet we have a Gert breeder who's straight breds almost always grade choice. I think that with the Brahman influnce you just need to be a lot more concerned with marbleing genetics.

dun

> Dun, Brangus (3/8 Brahman and 5/8
> Angus) will quilify for the CAB
> program and will grade almost
> identical to Angus.

yeah, i'm glad you realized i wasn't trying to start a big longhorn war :)

hope it didn't hurt too much.

Latest posts