Sale Day

Help Support CattleToday:

newrancher

Reaction score
Took 7 steers yesterday, 6 averaged 652 and brought 1.10, dont know what the other one brought yet. He was smaller and got loaded by mistake, I didnt wait around but the lighter calves were definitely down.

you are in line with our local auction barn. The lighter cattle are taking a hard hit. The cow calf prs took a hit here this week.

hillrancher":1t9c6i5i said:
you are in line with our local auction barn. The lighter cattle are taking a hard hit. The cow calf prs took a hit here this week.

Why is that? I have heard it is extremely dry in some parts of OK. Shortage of grass? Here in WI it is going to be a shortage of hay for winter.

SRBeef":2wgcv8tb said:
hillrancher":2wgcv8tb said:

Why is that? I have heard it is extremely dry in some parts of OK. Shortage of grass? Here in WI it is going to be a shortage of hay for winter.
We are definitely not dry in this part of OK, 9 IN above normal. Spring was cold and the bermuda slow to take off though, I am pretty sure the corn prices are what is bringing the lighter feeders down. I would have kept these a little longer but I have an unexpected 9 more coming this week and I had a case of the Big Eye.

I think it is the corn, fuel and fertilizer. We are seeing a lot of small and older cattle farmers selling out and don't intend to ever go back. I think that is the reason for the cow and prs drop here.
We have plenty of mixture this year in fact too much but not complaining. We have not put up any hay yet because it has been too wet. In my area we are only 3 weeks from a drought at any time and we always have a dry month or so every year.

What part of AR are you in hillrancher? We are just about 6 mi from the stateline.

they are finally learning that it takes less time feed an money to get the 700lb calves to butcher weight.any calves under 700lbs has to go to the backgrounders.an stay for 120 to 150 days to get to 700lbs.so that is costing more money an 2x the amount of work.feedlots need to trim their days on feed as much as they can.an the heavier calves allow them todo that.

Bought some stocker heifers on order yesterday for couple of customers. One set averaged 308 lbs and cost $93.58 per cwt. A set of bigger stocker heifers averaged 486 lbs and cost $89.68 per cwt. Not fancy cattle, but upgradable.

Latest posts