Sale Barns

Help Support CattleToday:

gerardplauche

Reaction score
I heard all this chatter about feedlots retaining cattle, but ignored it because I did not see any effects. NOW, I am seeing numbers so low at the auctions, that I fear our local sale barns will have no choice but to close. :shock: Is it the same around the country? Does anyone have any long term forecast on this that they can share with us? I know that the latest trend is direct buying/selling, but the sale barn is convenient, and many growers still depend on it.

sounds to me like the cattlemen are holding their calves longer.thats the reason for the low numbers at the salebarn.i really dont think low numbers will cause the barn to close.unless the barn just flatout isnt making a profit.i know steers an heifers prices are dropping round here.been hearing their off as much as .20 cents a lb.an thats a pretty big hitt on the price.500lb calf will lose $100hd at the sale according to those prices.

I know that the latest trend is direct buying/selling, but the sale barn is convenient, and many growers still depend on it.

If the small cattlemen don't start joining forces (pooling cattle, etc.) and putting together truckload lots of feeders he will be forced to be pricetakers to a much more degree, IMHO.

Feeder calf numbers at the sale barn have declined tremendously in the past twenty years due to direct sales.

They're just a place to move a small group of calves quick and for culls down here nowdays.

I hated it when the cull cow packing plant here closed down. I could cut the sale barn out of his commission and buy a few more gallons of fuel.

BigBull wrote: i really dont think low numbers will cause the barn to close

Then they'll just have to raise commissions and take more of your check. :roll:

MikeC":yaswr1ek said:

they over charge bad enough as it is.here it costs $10 to $12 a hd to sell the calves.talking bout sorting calves in loadlots.the sale barns need to sort an comingle cattle from differant owners to get uniform load lots.i agree times are changing.the barn owners an the buyers control the prices.

Big guys get bigger, smaller guys fade out. Looks like I need to find a herd owner to buy steady from. I just hate to see the market go away from the sale barns. It is MUCH easier to deal with an auction; buy and sale at YOUR convenience. If I set up a deal with a herd, I will be forced into buying in all months of the year, despite my setup. This is a change I am not looking forward to.

The '05 drought here was so bad that cactus died. Literally. '06 wasn't much better. Hay was sky high. Lots of folks sold out. '07 was something like the 4th wettest year we've had since records have been kept. People need cows. We are short on numbers. You can buy cows but not cows that are suited for our environment. I'd think folks owning Brahman's are sitting pretty. The south is going to need a lot of seedstock to fill the shortage.

Backhoe, around here the trend is changing. Most are holding for 800+ cwt before selling, at this time last year everyone was selling at 450+. I have bought and sold this past 10 days prices were up $8 cwt on young cattle and $3 to 4 on bull and old stock this week from last. If you call the sale barns they will tell you to hold for heavier weights this is why the numbers are down here.
The barns here are predicting $1600 to $1800 for grade prs within the next 60 days. As you all know at the barns you can here what you want to believe.

around here sale barns usually have smaller sales this time of the year. most people have done sold their calves. calves will be hitting the ground around March and April and comeing to town in Oct. cold weather and rain and lower prices has alot to do with the numbers too. i dont know about other parts but there is alot of thin rough dried out type cattle comming to town here. some folks culling old cows and bulls that shoulda been culled 3 years ago.

bigbull338":35zrdpmw said:
MikeC":35zrdpmw said:

they over charge bad enough as it is.here it costs $10 to $12 a hd to sell the calves.talking bout sorting calves in loadlots.the sale barns need to sort an comingle cattle from differant owners to get uniform load lots.i agree times are changing.the barn owners an the buyers control the prices.

There are sale barns that sort and sell in groups which helps the price. One such place is the barn in Upton Kentucky. One just has to do more home work now.

MikeC":j5l6pemq said:
If the small cattlemen don't start joining forces (pooling cattle, etc.) and putting together truckload lots of feeders he will be forced to be pricetakers to a much more degree, IMHO.

Good point.

Latest posts