Sale Barn

Help Support CattleToday:

lowellcantrell

Reaction score
I am new to the board. However I have raising beef cattle for over 35 years.

My question may have been posted before, but I haven't had time to read all the past posts.

Which states use the term "Sale Barn" for livestock auction facilities? Here in Kentucky they are called Stockyards; whether they are located in Lexington or up in the hills of Eastern Kentucky.

The term sale barn or auction barn refers to a livestock marketing facility. Here in Texas, names vary greatly from Athens Commission Co. to Henderson Livestock Commision to Center Auction Co. to Livingston Livestock Exchange. I think in Kentucky, there is a marketing group (Bluegrass Stockyards) that owns and operates 7 markets.

Most Sale Barns call them self's Livestock Sales or Auction, but everyone else just calls them the Sale Barn.

It is kind of like the old "Service Station" addage we used when we were kiddoes. No one checks your oil, tires, dumps your ash tray, cleans the window and pumps your gas any more like they did at service stations. You pump your own gas now. "Stock Yards" makes me think of Fort Worth and the old days when there were stock yards there. Not much of a stock yard anywhere anymore that I am familiar with.

As far as the "sale barns" go and all the commission company names that go with them, its been said by many above.

Same here. I've always called them sale barns although the official name of many contains other words. It's still a barn that sells cattle. ;-) I use to hear quite a few order buyers simply call them "cow sales".

Latest posts