Sale Barn

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred

Reaction score
Wife and I went to Waco, Texas this morning to do some shopping....had a nice lunch in Waco then went up I-35 to West to buy kolaches. Saw the sale barn was selling so dropped in to visit. lst time I've been inside a sale barn in over a year but I have never seen so much good money being spent on sorry cattle in all my life. don't think a single pair sold for less than $1300 and something was wrong with her. Several pair with 4-5 year old cows and small calves were bringing well over $1500 and the cow was skin and bones and still won't be a good cow when she gains 300 lbs. Didnt' see any really good pair sells but if they had any I'm sure they must have sold for $2000. Anything in the small calves was bringing up to $2.70. Bulls sold before we got there and didnt' stay to see the stockers sell but it was pretty amazing.

It has been a wild ride since the fall. I never thought I would see 400 lb calves bring over $2.00 a lb. Last really good cows i saw sell was about a month ago and they were a sell out. Numbers are short and quality doe not mean as much when trying to fill numbers.

Stocker Steve":rgkwmstv said:
Are the trucks bringing cows south yet or do you need alot more time for the pastures to recover?
I think we had better see how bad the pastures were damaged. I have sneaking suspicion that some of the permanent grass was lost.

BC":1w2fy911 said:
Stocker Steve":1w2fy911 said:
Are the trucks bringing cows south yet or do you need alot more time for the pastures to recover?
I think we had better see how bad the pastures were damaged. I have sneaking suspicion that some of the permanent grass was lost.
Yes too early to know how bad the damage might be. Nothing in pastures now but lush green winter grass...wild rye and such. Farther south I think they have some coastal coming along well.

Just got back from the sale in LeFlore County, OK (Wister, OK). Had to be back home early, so I only hauled some goats over, and stayed long enough to watch the first 50 or so head of cattle thru the ring. First calf to sell was a 70lb black baldie bull $285. Next was a 90lb Charlaios heifer, $345 (per head)
Anything between 350-400lbs that didn't have obvious negatives was bringing 215-240 (heifers on the lower end, bulls and steers on the higher). Heaviest I got to see go thru was 680lb rwf heifer brought 168. Steers in the 650 range were bring 180. Almost everything decent below 550 brought 200+.
On the cheap end, a 480lb longhorn heifer brought 92. Well, maybe not the cheap end; they were giving horses away
Hated to leave early. I think I'll be taking some cattle next weekend

I've been holding out all winter, mostly due to a broke down truck. Got about 70 head of crossbreed on a hundred acres of grass stubble and about 20 bales of hay left. Got truck runnin again and think i'm taking a load or three to Winnsboro this week. Hope prices are still holding there. I know we had record highs in January but unsure of how they're holding. Anybody know how Northeast Texas prices are doing. Taking all shapes and sizes.

Ouachita":rkss9t1t said:
Just got back from the sale in LeFlore County, OK (Wister, OK). On the cheap end, a 480lb longhorn heifer brought 92. Well, maybe not the cheap end; they were giving horses away

Is it too early to start stocking up on horses?

My cousin went to the sale in Madison Va on Saturday and he showed me a sale tally and I was blown away. light weight calves bringing 2.40 and better. 5 and 6 weight calves 1.70 to 1.80.

I have got a total of four calves. going to keep one replacement heifer and one bull. guess the other two will ride. was going to keep one as a freezer steer but I can not afford to eat that good.

any body know need a refence for daniel 903 855 2247 around winnsboro purebred brangus bred heifers 1800.00 2 to 4 months bred how about it craiglist dfw lth69
thanks br

Latest posts