sale barn

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
sent 7 bull calves to the sale.an went an got the check today.an im real happy with what they brought.1 group 4hd ave 600lbs brought .90 .95 .83 .63.now the .63 calf weighed 830lbs.2md group was 2 hd ave wt was 510 an brought .86 an .75.3rd group 1 hd 515lbs .86 lb.group 1 ave .83lb 2nd group was 80.5 a lb.3rd ave .86.the high selling ave calf was a fullblood beefmaster.6 was beefmaster sired calves.all calves was bulls not steers.1 was horned an 6 was polled.so im real happy with what they brought.them ears didnt dock emm.

because we dont think theres that much differance between the bull an steer prices to cut the bulls.i was really hoping those calves was 150lbs heavier.but they was light calves wich proved to make better money for once.a reg beefmaster will prolly get culled this fall because she cant raise a heavy calf.

That doesn't sound all that bad bigbull. We don't cut all of our bull calves. Like you there is not that much diffence in the price. It makes things alot easier for the feedlots. Since they don't want to pay all that much for them. Let them do it.

bigbull338":37xarq7n said:
sent 7 bull calves to the sale.an went an got the check today.an im real happy with what they brought.1 group 4hd ave 600lbs brought .90 .95 .83 .63.now the .63 calf weighed 830lbs.2md group was 2 hd ave wt was 510 an brought .86 an .75.3rd group 1 hd 515lbs .86 lb.group 1 ave .83lb 2nd group was 80.5 a lb.3rd ave .86.the high selling ave calf was a fullblood beefmaster.6 was beefmaster sired calves.all calves was bulls not steers.1 was horned an 6 was polled.so im real happy with what they brought.them ears didnt dock emm.

Doesn't sound all that bad.....and the ear certainly shouldn't hurt them in Texas.

That's a nice price. There is not much difference in bull/steer prices up here either. $5 per hundred. It's far better to sell them at lighter weights however. When they start getting "bully" the price will drop fast.

Locally a 7 wweight bull will cost you 2 bits a pound from a 7 weight steer

i was madd when i first called the sale an got the totals.but when i got the check seen the weights an price pre pound i was very happy.thats the best ive seen the prices.

It really depends on the time of year as to how much difference there is between a bull and a steer. Spring time there is not much difference, but let it get late in summer and fall and it will be $5 to $10 per cwt. On the calves mentioned at the beginning of the thread, that would be $30 to $60 per head difference.

well i feel like for once i broke even with the sale barn.because sometimes i dont feel i get a fair price for the calves there all the time.

one thing for sure, if you continue too sell registered bull's you need too steer the cull's and commercials... even if theres wasnt much difference in the market your reputation alone would be worth the effort

if there were more steered calves, in the southern sale barns you'd see a big difference in the prices between them and bulls... with the majority being bulls you wont see much difference till the competion increases

what?":bk8438n0 said:
bigbull338":bk8438n0 said:
WHY DID THEY SELL THEM IN THREE GROUPS BUT THEN ACTUALLY SINGLE THEM OUT?

DID THE CALVES GET SOLD AT 3 DIFFERENT TIMES TROUGHOUT THE SALE?

A GUY FROM NORTH OF HERE DOES THAT HE HAS HIS CATTLE SOLD AT DIFFFERENT TIMES THROUGHOUT THE SALE HE THINKS HE GETS A BETTER PRICE BECAUSE HE GETS AN AVERAGE. SEEMS STUPID TO ME TO PAY COMMISSION MORE THAN ONCE WHEN THEY COULD GET BY PAYING FOR ONE. OF COURSE IN YOUR CASE I AM LEFT WONDERING ABOUT YOUR SALE BARN WHY A 830# BULL WOULD GET SORTED WITH 3 523# BULLS BUT WHATEVER PROBABLY WHY THEY GOT SINGLED.

Everything here gets sold one at a time, except cow/calf pairs.

alacattleman":1lw3tnzh said:
if there were more steered calves, in the southern sale barns you'd see a big difference in the prices between them and bulls... with the majority being bulls you wont see much difference till the competion increases

Exactly, it is hard for an order buyer to fill a potbelly trailer full of steers. He knows he is going to have to castrate calves and has that extra labor figured in to his load price. If we could ever convince 70% of the folks to castrate however the dock on that 30% that weren't cut would grow substantially as more buyers could cut out the labor cost of doing the cutting. Without running the numbers it looks like there were easily 3 times as many feeder bulls as feeder steers in the AL Livestock Market News I just grabbed off the shelf.

what?":24mkflfw said:
1982vett":24mkflfw said:
Everything here gets sold one at a time, except cow/calf pairs.
WHAT SALE BARN IS HERE CAUSE IVE SPENT A CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT OF TIME IN SALE BARNS IN THE STATE OF TEXAS NEVER HAVE I WITNESSED THAT WHERE I WAS. THAT MUST MAKE AN AUCTION DRAG ON AND ON AND ON. BE A BIT LIKE WATCHIN PAINT DRY I WOULD THINK.

I have seen sales where some pens were brought in together; but the vast majority of sales in Alabama sale by the head one at a time (except for pairs). I have been to numerous 14 hour long sales too in the fall and have been told of times that the 12:30 pm sale ended at 6:00 am.

what?":uo3vjy6o said:
SEEMS STUPID TO ME TO PAY COMMISSION MORE THAN ONCE WHEN THEY COULD GET BY PAYING FOR ONE.
I don't know what sale barns you sell thru but all of the ones that I know of the commission is based on a % of what the sale price is not if they are sold in lots or singles

with what you are saying a guy selling 3 calves separately would pay more commission than a guy selling 25 hd in one lot

I have never seen it work that way

bigbull338":1g2pgnjy said:
well i feel like for once i broke even with the sale barn.because sometimes i dont feel i get a fair price for the calves there all the time.
Do you feel that it is the particular barn where you sell or that the calves do not bring enough in general to justify your time and effort. If you are going to sell them at the heavier weights, the bulls really need to be cut.

As to not getting a fair price, the calves you sold last year probably lost $150 to$200 per head to the person who bought and sent them to the feedyard. They are probably thinking that you were overpaid!

what?":2mgol8yw said:
Angus Cowman":2mgol8yw said:
what?":2mgol8yw said:
SEEMS STUPID TO ME TO PAY COMMISSION MORE THAN ONCE WHEN THEY COULD GET BY PAYING FOR ONE.
I don't know what sale barns you sell thru but all of the ones that I know of the commission is based on a % of what the sale price is not if they are sold in lots or singles

with what you are saying a guy selling 3 calves separately would pay more commission than a guy selling 25 hd in one lot

I have never seen it work that way
$8 PER GAVEL DROP. 85 HEAD AT A TIME COST AS MUCH AS 2 HEAD. THE AUCTIONEER CRIES JUST AS LONG FOR A DRAFT 2 AS HE DOES A DRAFT OF 85.

What sale barn would this be?

Up here it's common to fill the ring up 3-4 times, weigh them up and sell the whole semi load at once. [uniform calves] The singles are only the odd balls and obviously if a seller brings in one head or a variety of weights and grades of calves.

Latest posts