Sale Barn Yesterday

Help Support CattleToday:

Joy of Texas

Reaction score
Went to one of the local barns yesterday. I haven't seen that many cows and calves in along time. I know ranchers are selling out. And it's a scary thing to see.
They had some beautiful fat and heavy bred cows that sold for 400-500 a head.Several went for 350. That is sad. It didn't matter what breed or color they were.
I think the saddest thing I saw was an older couple(middle to late 70's) setting in the stands. After a 100 or better cows sold .They got up and walked out. The lady had tears in her eyes and the man put his arm around her and kiss her forehead. I just couldn't help but watch them. I followed them outside they held hands as they got to their truck. He opened the door for her and told her honey we still have each other. Now I know these people sold out . I told Rick that is going to be us in a couple of years. Heck it may happen sooner that that.
Hay has shot up to 80.00-100.00 a round bale. We have enough to finish winter out,but if it doesn't rain. I don't know.

That's a sad sight. My friend and neighbor got cancer and decided to sell his herd. 50 plus years of work and improvement was loaded up and sent to the sale barn he frequented. I went by to visit with him the next day cause I figured he could use some company. He brought up his sale and I asked him how they did. He said he didn't know since no one at the barn bothered to call him with the results. You would think after as many years that he gave them his business and them knowing his situation they could have at least called and told him how they did. Two weeks later my friend died and I have yet to give this barn the time of day.

Joy of Texas":d9ibm3ot said:
Hay has shot up to 80.00-100.00 a round bale. We have enough to finish winter out,but if it doesn't rain. I don't know.

They have horse quality round bales in the paper here for $60.

I sold all hay that was for sale. Things are sure different than a year ago. People are calling and I am telling them "sold out". They say, "But you had so much sitting out there in the rows" and I say, "Not any more!" There are 30 rounds left in one of the lower pastures but it has been paid for. The rest is for my cows with little margin left over.

Jogeephus":eigswarp said:
That's a sad sight. My friend and neighbor got cancer and decided to sell his herd. 50 plus years of work and improvement was loaded up and sent to the sale barn he frequented. I went by to visit with him the next day cause I figured he could use some company. He brought up his sale and I asked him how they did. He said he didn't know since no one at the barn bothered to call him with the results. You would think after as many years that he gave them his business and them knowing his situation they could have at least called and told him how they did. Two weeks later my friend died and I have yet to give this barn the time of day.

The ethics that we knew in years past have changed. His business would not help them any more so they were really "finished" with him. Cattlemen usually see this all the time.

Sad.

I'm with you. I decide when I witness what you described if I will continue to do business with people like that.

Good post Jo......

HUS

HUS":1so2cup9 said:
The ethics that we knew in years past have changed. His business would not help them any more so they were really "finished" with him. Cattlemen usually see this all the time.

Sad.

I'm with you. I decide when I witness what you described if I will continue to do business with people like that.

Good post Jo......

HUS

Yall, are used to more customer service than I am. The only time the sale barn has ever called me (other than to return my call) was to notify us that they were having a "Special Cow Sale" and wanted to know if I had some to add. The girls at the office really have an awful lot happening during a sale and I don't know that calling people with a synopsis of how their cows did is something that they need to start doing.

Joy of Texas,
May I ask what part of the state you wen to the sale? here in East Texas, I saw one of the better calf sales that I have seen in months at Van Zandt County Livestock. Pairs and bred cows were higher than you quoted.

Thats a sad story Joy. Dont like hearing it, but its the plain truth about things nowdays. About a month ago, I saw nearly the same thing in Tulsa... several selling out. It was definitely a buyer's market, but those people selling out were having a tough time.

We have Hay in north Texas. I can get you 100-200 bales tommorow if you need it for $45. This is GOOD fertilized hay.

texanstraders":2n1hnv2u said:
We have Hay in north Texas. I can get you 100-200 bales tommorow if you need it for $45. This is GOOD fertilized hay.

But all the stock tanks are sucked dry. There is one left that hasn't gone dry in the 30 years I have seen it. It is way low. If I move all the cows to that pasture, it is going to be dropping fast. It looks as tho I will be hauling water this weekend.

joy what you seen with the old couple at the sale is very sad.for that reason ill never sell the cows while im alive.my neices an nephews can if they have the guts to.my friend sold his dairy cows several times during his life.an the 1st time he did it his wife bawled an squaled when the trailers pulled out.because she was worried how they was going to eat an pay their bills.an he told her momma dont worry ill be milking cows before the weeks out.an he was milking again in 2wks or less.

BC":3gc74eyr said:
Joy of Texas,
May I ask what part of the state you wen to the sale? here in East Texas, I saw one of the better calf sales that I have seen in months at Van Zandt County Livestock. Pairs and bred cows were higher than you quoted.
Sorry I went to another sale again today . I live close to San Antonio. I mainly go to markets close to here. The one I went to sat.was at Karnes City. Today I went to Nixon. I'll go to Seguin on Wed. The prices there were alot better for calves. Cows were going pretty much the same as sat. Lighter weight calves were bringing 1.00-1.43 Most 400-500 weight started at .71 a good bunch made it to the .90's
I bought some little black calf today. It was only $ 25.00 . A cow had it sunday night and never got up again. I had colostrum in the truck,so they let me tube it while I was there. He seems to be doing good. It suppose to be in the low 30's tonight. So I have him in my bath tub for the night.

texanstraders":1lt2sfle said:
Thank you so much that is so sweet of you. We are doing ok for the moment. But there are several I know that did not buy enough for their cows. They are getting pretty desperate. Can I get back you in a day or so?
Thanks again
Joy

Brute 23":3jkj6cds said:
I notice the local sales were up in the 2000+ head... that usually mean some thing is up. :|

If we don't get rain in March we are not going to totally sell out, but we are going to take a huge hit. :(
Now ya'll can take this with a grain of salt. I was told no matter what hang on to what you have until the first couple of weeks in Feb.. I don't know what is up but something is.

Bigbull,I would have agreed with you a few years ago. I can't say we will never sell out. That subject has come up more than a few times in the last month or so. It is just plain getting scary. No rain,high feed,you know what selling them are like. I don't know anymore.

One good thing about stocker's is you don't get attached to them or all the years you spent building a herd.I'm worried though my heifers wont be worth enough to sell and I'll have to keep and breed them.

That's kind of true. Although,ever so often one just gets to me . The old man is so proud of me. It has taken years for me to toughen up. I tried to save every lost cause there was. Man ,if I had all that time and money I wasted.

Joy of Texas":15uqndge said:
Bigbull,I would have agreed with you a few years ago. I can't say we will never sell out. That subject has come up more than a few times in the last month or so. It is just plain getting scary. No rain,high feed,you know what selling them are like. I don't know anymore.
i know what you mean.i guess im either tough crazy or stupid.but ill hang on to the cows as long as i can.because i know id die real quick without them.people think its a joke when you say youd die if you didnt have cows.till theyve seen some1 sell out an die 3 months later.the cows are what keeps me living.

texanstraders":o06x82if said:
Hi
Would you please send me your phone number.
Thank You
Joy

bigbull338":12eibp7z said:
Joy of Texas":12eibp7z said:
i know what you mean.i guess im either tough crazy or stupid.but ill hang on to the cows as long as i can.because i know id die real quick without them.people think its a joke when you say youd die if you didnt have cows.till theyve seen some1 sell out an die 3 months later.the cows are what keeps me living.

Amen Brother! We talk about economics, but what about way of life? What's the saying..... "All hat no cattle".... No thanks!

Latest posts