Sale Barn Yesterday

Help Support CattleToday:

Joy of Texas

Reaction score
Same thing as Caustic stated ....prices are way down. I bought one beefmaster heifer She weighed 435 cost 82.50= 358.88. Now the brahma heifer my son bought was different story. She weighed 365 cost 190.00 = 693.50. I just about fainted. that boy,oh well he wanted her.
Most of the 500-600 weights were starting at 78. It didn't matter the hide color. This one of the first times I've seen black baldies or angus influence sell so cheap. They did have a few cow/calf pairs that sold for 1200. Some they couldn't give away.

I think you are right Angus. It was kind of sad. Most animals only got one bid and thats it.

Yea they have been dropping a while havent they A/B but they always seem to be slightly lower after the first. Winter months I guess. Folks will pay more once the oats and wheat are up to provide some grazing but with high fertilizer prices who knows what this year will bring.

At salebarn yesterday, farmer had cow/calf pairs. The calfs were less than 3 months old. Farmer wanted calves sold seperate from cows. Couldn't hardly give calves away....

Would he not have been better off to sell as pairs?

angie2":trkvqxl8 said:
At salebarn yesterday, farmer had cow/calf pairs. The calfs were less than 3 months old. Farmer wanted calves sold seperate from cows. Couldn't hardly give calves away....

Would he not have been better off to sell as pairs?
IMO yes,he would have. Some of the pairs that went thru yesterday had 2-3 month old calves with them. One pair came thru the calf was just a couple of days old. She only sold for 625.00. And that was an angus cross. The calf looked like a black baldie. Go figure. I guess people don't want the smaller calves ,because of the hay and feed.

Joy of Texas":23bh3yfv said:
One pair came thru the calf was just a couple of days old. She only sold for 625.00. And that was an angus cross. The calf looked like a black baldie. Go figure. I guess people don't want the smaller calves ,because of the hay and feed.

The price of bred cows and pairs is driven by the number of buyers at the sale looking specifically for that. Sale Barns on typical sale days, at least around here, do not command strong prices for bred cows and pairs that are of good quality. The buyers just aren't there.

Joy of Texas":hlkhb633 said:
Same thing as Caustic stated ....prices are way down. I bought one beefmaster heifer She weighed 435 cost 82.50= 358.88. Now the brahma heifer my son bought was different story. She weighed 365 cost 190.00 = 693.50. I just about fainted. that boy,oh well he wanted her.
Most of the 500-600 weights were starting at 78. It didn't matter the hide color. This one of the first times I've seen black baldies or angus influence sell so cheap. They did have a few cow/calf pairs that sold for 1200. Some they couldn't give away.

Joy here is the concerning part winter calves usually bring the best prices here. Everbody has summer and fall calves. Cow/Calf pairs here were 1200 to 1400 not a lot went through the barn everybody has hay in this area.

i think what your seeing is the new year price slump.prices should start going back up on weaned calves in a week or 2.

This all sounds good to me from a buyers point of view. Going tomorrow to buy up some more while cheap hope i am not crying this summer when time to sell

Latest posts