Sale barn volume up

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed the total number of head being handled at sale barns? The volume is way up compared to this time last year. There may not be as many numbers during the fall sales this year.

Boogie, I have...was reading Country World the other day and it was amazing the numbers of cattle coming thru. Many sales running double the number they would have in more "typical times".

A friend is buying a load of slaughter cows every week and bringing them to east TN to kill. They are coming from Sulphur Springs, TX. Is that in your area? They are cheap even with the trucking.

hey im close to sulphur springs texas.thats the barn i sell calves at.he has tobe getting a good deal on them.to buy an haul as far as he is.

Must be bad there. A lot of them longhorn. The person buying there even takes care of getting the trucks to get them here. Might turn some of the younger ones out as we have a lot of grass. Hope you get rain.

weve had some rain here.but yes its hot an dry here.but no panic sell off that ive seen yet.theres is plenty of hay here for sale.our pastures are still in good shape.

With good to adequate rains across a large part of the Northern States. Sale numbers are down.

mnmtranching":1del46m6 said:
With good to adequate rains across a large part of the Northern States. Sale numbers are down.

A good rain here would likely net some similar results.

backhoeboogie":1dogdwki said:
Has anyone else noticed the total number of head being handled at sale barns? The volume is way up compared to this time last year. There may not be as many numbers during the fall sales this year.

Our local sale barn is running about 15 - 20% over last year in weekly volume. I noticed a lot of herd disperals this year. They are already advertising 60-65 mostly 4 year old herfs bred to gray Brahman bulls for sale on Monday. I think the skyrocketing input costs combined with the economy ( or lack thereof) are forcing a lot of folks to sell. Especially those who previously "worked" for their cattle instead of their cattle working for them.

Caldwell, TX -Today had 1600+ head. 500+ cows and 1100+ calves on the board.

Young open brangus cows in need of grass in the 850-900 lb range were bringing .28-.35. :(

1200-1400 pound middle age and up cows bred 5-8 months were going to slaughter. .40-.45

That's about the same as a few weeks ago vet. A friend of mine hauled some bred cows (Simmentals and Simbrahs) to Cameron about two weeks ago and they all brought kill price. It is HORRIBLY dry in that neck of the woods! I hauled a heifer to the breeder in Giddings Monday and it was hard to believe how dry. I passed many semi loads of hay!

At Giddings Monday, 300-400 pound (and up) calves brought .90 to 1.00 (and down). They may have sold all night........BIG volume.

backhoeboogie":230r18ig said:
mnmtranching":230r18ig said:

The weather liars are least putting the chance of rain in forecast for much of Texas during the next 10 days. I know, I know - the forecast will change at least a dozen times between now and then. It's nice to at least hear the mention of rain and slightly cooler temperatures. We've been baking in the 100's for the last 10 days, the nights aren't cooling off much and the winds been blowing at 15-20 mph.

PRAY FOR RAIN!!!

We've had way more than 10 days of triple digit but yes that wind has helped to dry things out. People are calling me for hay and I've already sold all that I am selling until the next cutting.

If it does rain, the sale barn bargains may be gone.

Texas Gal":2n8xroel said:
backhoeboogie":2n8xroel said:
mnmtranching":2n8xroel said:

The weather liars are least putting the chance of rain in forecast for much of Texas during the next 10 days. I know, I know - the forecast will change at least a dozen times between now and then. It's nice to at least hear the mention of rain and slightly cooler temperatures. We've been baking in the 100's for the last 10 days, the nights aren't cooling off much and the winds been blowing at 15-20 mph.

PRAY FOR RAIN!!!
One rain, although a start, won't get the job done.

We've got plenty of grass, plenty of rain but the sale barns are still way above average volume - especially on feeders. I'd say almost double the usual numbers for this time of the year. I think that some folks just need a few extra nickels for vacation time.

I have a feeling based on the economy, when it does rain, many of the folks that sold out will no longer be interested in restarting. Some people can only take so much. I"ve been hearing those sentiments from folks recently.

Bullbuyer":3o80vmbe said:
We've got plenty of grass, plenty of rain but the sale barns are still way above average volume - especially on feeders. I'd say almost double the usual numbers for this time of the year. I think that some folks just need a few extra nickels for vacation time.
No, we are just trying to hold on to the one we have left. :mad:

Latest posts