Sale barn trip today

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Well I finally made the nearly 3 hour trip today to go up in the hills that I had been talking about and met up with " Toad" and " SD1030 " and spent the day with them at the barn had fun we plan on doing it again. Toad is such a good friend and concerned about me not getting any cheap calves that him being the good friend that he is ... Decided he would make a sacrifice and told me he hated me driving all the way home empty and he wanted to help me out. He decided the way to help me was to charge me $75.00 more than he had paid for a bred cow... WHAT A DEAL ? :roll: However, I declined the offer and went home empty. Sd1030 I think came up with that plan...You gotta watch them. Good time we plan on doing it again. The calves I normally buy were 300 bucks more than I normally pay for them. :shock: I told sd1030 its nothing wrong with leaving with an empty trailer and I wasn't upset. Toad told me no more hanging out with me because he had no intention on buying anything :lol2: Sure is fun spending other peoples money. SD1030 wouldn't get the bidders number and give to me however Toad did had he not came back before I started bidding he was going to have a lot of 8000# of #2 steers :lol2: The best deals at the barn were the bred cows.

It was a privilege to meet up with sky and toad today at the sale. Being new at this I was able to watch and learn. Both sky and toad were helpful with answering any questions I had. As sky mentioned the older breds seemed to be the deal of the day, and toad really tried to help sky out with his offer, not sure why sky didn't jump on it :lol2: . Once again I enjoyed it and look forward to doing it again. I may even have to go over sky's way and bid against him on some of those cheaper cattle :hide: .

Sd1030":l6up62q1 said:
It was a privilege to meet up with sky and toad today at the sale. Being new at this I was able to watch and learn. Both sky and toad were helpful with answering any questions I had. As sky mentioned the older breds seemed to be the deal of the day, and toad really tried to help sky out with his offer, not sure why sky didn't jump on it :lol2: . Once again I enjoyed it and look forward to doing it again. I may even have to go over sky's way and bid against him on some of those cheaper cattle :hide: .

:lol2: Theres enough of the cheap ones we can both load up on it.

kenny thomas":l6up62q1 said:
Springlake? I thought that was Sky that I kept running up the price on.

Yes sir springlake.. :lol2: :lol2:

The sales I been to this year Kenny I been seeing a lot of cattle with eye issues more so than normal. How about you Kenny? Did you notice that sd ? There is also an abundance of the angus - Holstein crosses there as well.

We have seen almost no eye issues this year here. But just a little way away I hear they have a lot. I think we had one calf with a runny eye last week through the sale. I have not had any myself.

kenny thomas":3qkkq0rk said:
We have seen almost no eye issues this year here. But just a little way away I hear they have a lot. I think we had one calf with a runny eye last week through the sale. I have not had any myself.

Yea I haven't hand any issues in my herd but at the barns I been seeing a bunch of cows or calves blind in one eye. The discount on those isn't hardly as much like one auctioneer in blackstone told the crowd her eye is a long ways away from her baby maker :lol2:

I noticed that sky, I think it was more blind cattle there today than other sells I've been to this year, granted I have not been to but a couple. I really liked how they run their operation there though as far as preg checking/aging the cows.

SD as you know it was my first time there but what really impressed me was the pull thru loading and unloading.. I hate backing up at Lynchburg. Blackstone no problem been doing it for years and its one truck at a time down an alley way. I do like the preg check as many don't offer it anymore...

Yeah I agree they have it set up nice. I also agree it's better than Lynchburg as far as the loading/unloading aspect goes.

Kenny we were talking about it and it's kinda crazy how 7-8 wts are selling for what 3wts were bringing. I do not follow prices all the time like some and I am trying to learn, but it just don't make sense to me as to how it's profitable to buy that 3wt for so much and still have to put the weight on them.

Sd1030":vd24fokm said:
Kenny we were talking about it and it's kinda crazy how 7-8 wts are selling for what 3wts were bringing. I do not follow prices all the time like some and I am trying to learn, but it just don't make sense to me as to how it's profitable to buy that 3wt for so much and still have to put the weight on them.
It does not make sense at all. The small calf is way too high or the big ones are too cheap.

Well I know SD like I told yall I don't want anything over 250 but prefer 200lb range and under because usually I get bigger profits. I also do not like keeping calves over 500lbs. IMO you lose money letting them get over 500

kenny thomas":10q3k81i said:
Sd1030":10q3k81i said:
It does not make sense at all. The small calf is way too high or the big ones are too cheap.

SD if you don't do your homework ... buying those expensive calves will be a sure fire way to eat your lunch... The calves going 800-850 there I couldn't buy them that's crazy your profit margin is super thin in my book.

Yea I agree sky, I couldn't do it neither. I just don't understand the logic. I've heard that feed yards will pay more for them because with corn prices being down they can afford to put cheap gains on them. I do not know but I still can't see the logic behind it, but why it is what it is. The guys selling the small calves are smiling all the way to the bank I'm sure.

I will see what blackstone has but I know me buying calves at 200lbs and taking up to 500 is getting darn near impossible with these prices... This winter plan on getting breds an calving them out its a lot to be made with that or atleast while breds are still cheap

When will ya'll fellers learn that you can't make money just talking about it. How come I was the only one to leave with anything in the trailer? Heck if nothing else one of ya'll could have bought that real cheap pig. :lol2:
All joking aside I had a lot of fun today and hope we can do it again.

Toad":286qj1d3 said:
When will ya'll fellers learn that you can't make money just talking about it. How come I was the only one to leave with anything in the trailer? Heck if nothing else one of ya'll could have bought that real cheap pig. :lol2:

:lol2: Definitely had fun I think the highlight of the day was when that cow peed on that grandpa and granddaughters shoes... Yea I just cant bring myself to spend on calves... I ill be back for breds this winter ... SD also had fun and wants to do it again.. just breds for me from there.

skyhightree1":t86yr3nv said:
Toad":t86yr3nv said:

:lol2: Definitely had fun I think the highlight of the day was when that cow peed on that grandpa and granddaughters shoes... Yea I just cant bring myself to spend on calves... I ill be back for breds this winter ... SD also had fun and wants to do it again.. just breds for me from there.

The look on that poor girls face. :shock: :oops: I will give her credit though, not many teen age girls that wouldn't have completely freaked out when a cow peed on them.

Toad if id had my trailer id helped you out with that old girl, on second thought i guess thats why i didnt bring it, didnt want to be spending money i didnt need to lol. The deal with the girl was funny, not only did she get peed on but she also got the dirt and mess kicked on her by the other cow. I agree hats off to her she was a good sport about it.

Latest posts